Win-98 cd, product key, and the EULA

98-Guy

With regard to copyright law and the windows-98 EULA, I'm asking if there is a specific Microsoft white-paper or document that can answer the following question(s).

Does the law (or Microsoft) deem it illegal to:

a) copy a windows-98 CD and give it to someone else, or

b) to actually _use_ a copied CD to install windows-98 (even if you are using a product-key that is yours or that you purchased at one point or another)

I'm asking because it's come up in other forums where someone has a product-key (or knows what the product-key is on their current PC) but they don't have an actual win-98 CD, so they are asking questions like how they can get their hands on a CD so they can re-install win-98.

Perhaps the main question is -> is the product key essentially the license, and a win-98 CD (an actual MS cd or a copy) is simply the delivery mechanism for the software, and that it's the actual usage of the software that is governed by law. So as long as I'm using a product key that I own, it doesn't matter from what CD I installed win-98, or how I came to have the CD, or who gave it to me, or even if it's a copy and who copied it.

I'm simply looking for the "official" answer to this question so I can tell others what the answer is. I'm not looking for win-98 CD's and I'm not looking for product keys and I'm not asking anyone to tell me where to get them.

:whistle: "Definitely" Handle This Topic With Caution !;It's 98Se ,but @copyright rights are still in effect="Do Not Sell"OEM98SE-version ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not as full CDROM!.....or with key!A "Gift from a friend" should not be a problem though....if you know what i mean :rolleyes: As many older MoBo's i have acquired have full Windows Versions 95,98,98SE,xp,2000 with Full CDROM in system on Harddrive with "Key=included" :blink: So its a tough call?....Just do not post info on this MSFN Site....okay :thumbup

I'd say

a) no, or very on the edge, only as replacement for one he lost/broke (making it "his" backup for personal use).

B) no, unless you actually owned the original cd at any point. (you have to purchase the cd and the key)

But I imagine one should not be able to purchase a key without a CD so the key can serve as evidence that you had a cd at some point.

Can be discused of course.

:whistle: me thinks it should be up to the P.C. Owner -If you "Own the P.C. and the CDROM/and Key its in your Property;Usage Rights and the Key could be "Leased Legally"<Carefully!!!>,depending on "How" the O.S. Software was/is, acquired/received,whether as a "Gift" or "Previously Installed By a Close Relative/Friend" or purchased at a "GarageSale"??? :rolleyes: Copy for Personal/family/relative use is okay?!...but.....read "EULA's small print carefully!!!" :hello:

come on, it's illegal to sell copies of it.

technocally it's "illegal" to install the OS with same CD and license serial on two or three PCs, but who's gonna respect that?? nobody!!!!!, if you bought a win98 CD and have three old computers, you wont buy another two CDs.

It's illegal to spread your serial key/number, because the CD itself can't be usid without it. In fact, what you bought to MS was the serial key, if you want to use the same CD on sevral machines, you'll need to buy another serial <_<

------------------------------

omg mah english sux :P

I have to agree with Ponch... Notice that the scenario provides a "Yes" under certain circumstances.

I also have (as thydreamwalker states) also had occasion to have purchased or been given older PC's and as a necessity used my Original Copy for a reinstall using the original PC's key. Back then, the OEM CD's were "generic" copies with a unique key provided for the given machine.

And, won't swear to this but, the EULA does allow for a one-PC "Backup Copy" in case the Original is destroyed, stolen, or rendered unreadable.

I was originally asking if there was anything posted on Microsoft.com that would answer these questions.

You would think that the precise legality of what is allowable would be spelled out somewhere.

But I'm still not sure what the consensus is here.

Given that someone (say, person A) wants to re-install win-98, and knows what their original product-key is, but they don't have a win-98 CD, then does it matter how they get their hands on a win-98 CD - even if they download it from a torrent?

Or is the person who *provides* the CD (either physically or electronically) violating the EULA or copyright law, but *not* the recipient?

A year or so ago I had a lengthy argument on usenet regarding this hypothetical situation:

Say I'm walking down the street and I come across a PC that's been put at the roadside as garbage. The PC has win-98 installed on it (doesn't matter which version of windows, but sake of argument say it's win-98). Say I take the computer home (items placed at the curb for garbage pickup is usually deemed to be public domain in most places).

If I examine the hard drive (or turn the system on) and discover the product key, do I now "own" the license to that particular product key and can use that computer without violating the EULA? Does it matter that the original owner did not "officially" transfer the license to me by way of either verbal permission or by knowingly giving me (or selling) the PC to me? And now that I know the product key, can I use it to install / re-install win-98 on another machine (assuming the product key is only used on one working PC at a time) ?

I was basically arguing that once a license is sold by Microsoft (by way of revealing a product key) and if that key is used on only one working PC at a time, then no violation is taking place if an "abandoned" product key is discovered or found and then put back into use.

Comments?

And, won't swear to this but, the EULA does allow for a one-PC "Backup Copy" in case the Original is destroyed, stolen, or rendered unreadable.

From the EULA on 98FE:

© Back-up Copy.

If Manufacturer has not included a back-up copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT with the COMPUTER, you may make a single back-up copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may use the back-up copy solely for archival purposes. Back-up Utility. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT includes a Microsoft back-up utility, you may use the utility to make the single back-up copy. After the single back-up copy is made, the backup utility will be permanently disabled. Except as expressly provided in this EULA, you may not otherwise make copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, including the printed materials accompanying the SOFTWARE.

Comments?

Sure. :)

Good comments? :unsure:

Maybe. :ph34r:

My personal take on the matter, not necessarily legally sound and definitely NOT in every country.

The Microsoft (as most software Licenses) EULA's is a contract where:

1) You pay an amount of money to be authorized to USE a software within a number of "set rules"

2) The Vendor grants you this right in exchange for money

Besides the fact that in my personal opinion, at least in Italy and possibly in all EU, this contract is hardly enforceable as it is NOT signed by the two parts, thus being potentially void of all effects, often it is worded in such a way that, expecially for consumer market, it violates basic rights of information, as a recent sentence has stated regarding OEM XP:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Not-sure-why-thi...ng-t115968.html

the actual media containing the software may or may not be part of the deal, see the old U.S. class action against HP:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16343

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.co...settlement.com/

The "standard" Win98SE Eula:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This Microsoft End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software product identified above, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT"). The SOFTWARE PRODUCT also includes any updates and supplements to the original SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to you by Microsoft. Any software provided along with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that is associated with a separate end-user license agreement is licensed to you under the terms of that license agreement. By installing, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; you may, however, return it to your place of purchase for a full refund.

SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE
The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

Systems Software. You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single computer, including a workstation, terminal or other digital electronic device ("COMPUTER"). You may permit a maximum of five (5) COMPUTERS to connect to the single COMPUTER running the SOFTWARE PRODUCT solely to access the Internet using the Internet Connection Sharing feature of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may not allow these connected COMPUTERS to use any other components of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, nor to invoke application sharing as described below. The five (5) connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections.

Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your other COMPUTERS over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate a license for each separate COMPUTER on or from which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run. A license for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be shared or used concurrently on different COMPUTERS. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any number of COMPUTERS may access or otherwise utilize the file and print services and peer web services of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. In addition, you may use the "Multiple Display" feature of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to expand your desktop as described in the on-line Help file, without obtaining a license for each display.

License Pak. If this package is a Microsoft License Pak, you may install and use additional copies of the computer software portion of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT up to the number of copies specified above as "Licensed Copies".

2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS

Academic Edition Software. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is identified as "Academic Edition" or "AE," you must be a "Qualified Educational User" to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. If you are not a Qualified Education User, you have no rights under this EULA. To determine if you are a Qualified Educational User, please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.

Not For Resale Software. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is labeled "Not For Resale" or "NFR," then, notwithstanding other sections of this EULA, your use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is limited to use for demonstration, test, or evaluation purposes and you may not resell, or otherwise transfer for value, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

Rental. You may not rent, lease or lend the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Trademarks. This EULA does not grant you any rights in connection with any trademarks or service marks of Microsoft.

Application Sharing. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may contain Microsoft NetMeeting, a product that enables applications to be shared between two or more computers, even if an application is installed on only one of the computers. You may use this technology with all Microsoft application products for multi-party conferences. For non-Microsoft applications, you should consult the accompanying license agreement or contact the licensor to determine whether application sharing is permitted by the licensor.

Support Services. Microsoft may provide you with support services related to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT ("Support Services"). Use of Support Services is governed by the Microsoft polices and programs described in the user manual, in "on line" documentation and/or other Microsoft-provided materials. Any supplemental software code provided to you as part of the Support Services shall be considered part of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA. With respect to technical information you provide to Microsoft as part of the Support Services, Microsoft may use such information for its business purposes, including for product support and development. Microsoft will not utilize such technical information in a form that personally identifies you.

Software Transfer. The initial user of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT only directly to an end user. This transfer must include all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). Such transfer may not be by way of consignment or any other indirect transfer. The transferee of such one-time transfer must agree to comply with the terms of this EULA, including the obligation not to further transfer this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Termination. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and all of its component parts.

3. UPGRADES. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is labeled as an upgrade, you must be properly licensed to use a product identified by Microsoft as being eligible for the upgrade in order to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. A SOFTWARE PRODUCT labeled as an upgrade replaces and/or supplements the product that formed the basis for your eligibility for the upgrade. You may use the resulting upgraded product only in accordance with the terms of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is an upgrade of a component of a package of software programs that you licensed as a single product, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be used and transferred only as part of that single product package and may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

4. COPYRIGHT. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into the SOFTWARE PRODUCT), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are owned by Microsoft or its suppliers. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the content which may be accessed through use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is the property of the respective content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties. This EULA grants you no rights to use such content. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by Microsoft.

5. DUAL-MEDIA SOFTWARE. You may receive the SOFTWARE PRODUCT in more than one medium. Regardless of the type or size of medium you receive, you may use only one medium that is appropriate for your single computer. You may not use or install the other medium on another computer. You may not loan, rent, lease, lend or otherwise transfer the other medium to another user, except as part of the permanent transfer (as provided above) of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

6. BACKUP COPY. After installation of one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT pursuant to this EULA, you may keep the original media on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT was provided by Microsoft solely for backup or archival purposes. If the original media is required to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on the COMPUTER, you may make one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT solely for backup or archival purposes. Except as expressly provided in this EULA, you may not otherwise make copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or the printed materials accompanying the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

7. U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. All SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to the U.S. Government pursuant to solicitations issued on or after December 1, 1995 is provided with the commercial license rights and restrictions described elsewhere herein. All SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to the U. S. Government pursuant to soliciations issued prior to December 1, 1995 is provided with "Restricted Rights" as provided for in FAR, 48 CFR 52.227-14 (JUNE 1987) or DFAR, 48 CFR 252.227-7013 (OCT 1988), as applicable.

8. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You agree that you will not export or re-export the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, any part thereof, or any process or service that is the direct product of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (the foregoing collectively referred to as the "Restricted Components"), to any country, person or entity subject to U.S. export restrictions. You specifically agree not to export or re-export any of the Restricted Components: (i) to any country to which the U.S. has embargoed or restricted the export of goods or services, which currently include, but are not necessarily limited to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria, or to any national of any such country, wherever located, who intends to transmit or transport the Restricted Components back to such country; (ii) to any person or entity who you know or have reason to know will utilize the Restricted Components in the design, development or production of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons; or (iii) to any person or entity who has been prohibited from participating in U.S. export transactions by any federal agency of the U.S. government. You warrant and represent that neither the BXA nor any other U.S. federal agency has suspended, revoked or denied your export privileges.

9. NOTE ON JAVA SUPPORT. THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMS WRITTEN IN JAVA. JAVA TECHNOLOGY IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND IS NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED, OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS ON-LINE CONTROL EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE, SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF JAVA TECHNOLOGY COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE. Sun Microsystems, Inc. has contractually obligated Microsoft to make this disclaimer.

MISCELLANEOUS
If you acquired this product in the United States, this EULA is governed by the laws of the State of Washington. If you acquired this product in Canada, this EULA is governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada. Each of the parties hereto irrevocably attorns to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario and further agrees to commence any litigation which may arise here under in the courts located in the Judicial District of York, Province of Ontario. If this product was acquired outside the United States, then local law may apply. Should you have any questions concerning this EULA, or if you desire to contact Microsoft for any reason, please contact Microsoft, or write: Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399.

LIMITED WARRANTY
Microsoft warrants that the SOFTWARE PRODUCT will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying written materials for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of receipt.

If an implied warranty or condition is created by your state/jurisdiction and federal or state/provincial law prohibits disclaimer of it, you also have an implied warranty or condition,BUT ONLY AS TO DEFECTS DISCOVERED DURING THE PERIOD OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY (NINETY (90) DAYS). AS TO ANY DEFECTS DISCOVERED AFTER THE NINETY (90) DAY PERIOD, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow limitations on duration of an implied warranty, so the above limitation may not apply to you. Any supplements or updates to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, including without limitation, any (if any) service pack or hot fixes provided to you after the expiration of the ninety (90) day Limited Warranty period are not covered by any warranty or condition, express or implied.

LIMITATION ON REMEDIES; NO CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES
Your exclusive remedy for any breach of this Limited Warranty is as set forth below. Except for any refund elected by Microsoft, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, if the SOFTWARE PRODUCT does not meet Microsoft's Limited Warranty, and, to the maximum extent allowed by applicable law, even if any remedy fails of its essential purpose. The terms "Exclusion of Incidental, Consequential and Certain Other Damages" below are also incorporated into this Limited Warranty. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This Limited Warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have others which vary from state/jurisdiction to state/jurisdiction.

YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY
Microsoft's and its suppliers' entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall be, at Microsoft's option from time to time, (a) return of the price paid (if any) for, or (B) repair or replacement of, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that does not meet this Limited Warranty and that is returned to Microsoft with a copy of your receipt. You will receive the remedy elected by Microsoft without charge, except that you are responsible for any expenses you may incur (e.g. cost of shipping the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to Microsoft). This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT has resulted from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus. Any replacement SOFTWARE PRODUCT will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. Outside the United States or Canada, neither these remedies nor any product support services offered by Microsoft are available without proof of purchase from an authorized international source. To exercise your remedy, contact: Microsoft, Attn. Microsoft Sales Information Center at the address specified above.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
The limited warranty that appears above is the only express warranty made to you and is provided in lieu of any other express warranties (if any) created by any documentation or packaging. Except for the limited warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Microsoft and its suppliers provide the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and Support Services (if any) AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, and hereby disclaim all other warranties andconditions, either express, implied or statutory, including, but not limited to, any (if any) implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, of fitness for a particular purpose, of lack of viruses, of accuracy or completeness of responses, of results, and of lack of negligence or lack of workmanlike effort, all with regard to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, and the provision of or failure to provide Support Services. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUIET POSSESSION, CORRESPONDENCE TO DESCRIPTION OR NON-INFRINGEMENT WITH REGARD TO THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL AND CERTAIN OTHER DAMAGES
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall Microsoft or its suppliers be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages whatsoever (including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits or confidential or other information, for business interruption, for personal injury, for loss of privacy, for failure to meet any duty including of good faith or of reasonable care, for negligence, and for any other pecuniary or other loss whatsoever) arising out of or in any way related to the use of or inability to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, the provision of or failure to provide Support Services, or otherwise under or in connection with any provision of this EULA, even in the event of the fault, tort (including negligence), strict liability, breach of contract or breach of warranty of Microsoft or any supplier, and even if microsoft or any supplier has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND REMEDIES
Notwithstanding any damages that you might incur for any reason whatsoever (including, without limitation, all damages referenced above and all direct or general damages), the entire liability of Microsoft and any of its suppliers under any provision of this EULA and your exclusive remedy for all of the foregoing (except for any remedy of repair or replacement elected by Microsoft with respect to any breach of the Limited Warranty) shall be limited to the greater of the amount actually paid by you for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or U.S.$5.00. The foregoing limitations, exclusions and disclaimers described above shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, even if any remedy fails its essential purpose.

Si vous avez acquis votre produit Microsoft au CANADA, la garantie limitée suivante vous concerne:

Microsoft garantit que la performance du PRODUIT LOGICIEL sera substantiellement en conformité avec la documentation écrite qui accompagne le PRODUIT LOGICIEL, pour une période de quatre-vingt-dix (90) jours à compter de la date de réception.

Si une garantie ou condition implicite ou légale existe en vertu de la loi de votre état ou juridiction et qu'une loi fédérale ou provinciale prohibe toute exclusion ou renonciation à une telle garantie ou condition, vous avez également une garantie ou condition implicite ou légale, MAIS SEULEMENT EN CE QUI CONCERNE LES DÉFAUTS DÉCOUVERTS PENDANT LA DURÉE DE CETTE GARANTIE LIMITÉE (QUATRE-VINGT-DIX (90) JOURS). EN CE QUI CONCERNE LES DÉFAUTS DÉCOUVERTS APRÈS LA DURÉE DE QUATRE-VINGT-DIX (90) JOURS, IL N'EXISTE AUCUNE GARANTIE OU CONDITION DE QUELQUE NATURE QUE CE SOIT. Puisque certains états ou juridictions ne permettent pas la limitation de la durée des garanties ou conditions légales ou implicites, il est possible que la limitation ci-dessus ne vous concerne pas.

Tout supplément ou mise à jour du PRODUIT LOGICIEL, y compris sans limitation, tout (s'il y a lieu) ensemble de modifications provisoires (``Service Pack`` ou ``hot fixes``) qui vous est fourni après l'expiration de la période de quatre-vingt-dix (90) jours de cette garantie limitée ne sont couverts par aucune garantie ou condition, expresse ou implicite, légale ou conventionnelle, écrite ou verbale.

LIMITATION DES RECOURS; ABSENCE DE DOMMAGES INDIRECTS ET AUTRES
Votre unique recours pour tout manquement à la présente Garantie Limitée est tel que décrit ci-dessous. À l'exception de tout remboursement à la discrétion de Microsoft, VOUS N'AVEZ DROIT À AUCUN DOMMAGE, Y COMPRIS, MAIS SANS LIMITATION, LES DOMMAGES INDIRECTS, ACCESSOIRES, MORAUX OU EXEMPLAIRES, si le PRODUIT LOGICIEL n'est pas conforme à la Garantie Limitée de Microsoft et ce, dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, et même si un recours est privé de son essence. Les termes du paragraphe ci-dessous intitulé ``Absence de dommages accessoires, indirects et autres`` font également partie intégrante de la présente Garantie Limitée. Puisque certains états ou juridictions ne permettent pas l'exclusion ou la limitation des dommages accessoires et indirects, il est possible que la limitation ou exclusion ci-dessus ne vous concerne pas. Cette Garantie Limitée vous accorde des droits juridiques spécifiques. Il est possible que vous en ayez d'autres variant d'un état ou d'une juridiction à l'autre.

VOTRE SEUL RECOURS
La seule responsabilité de Microsoft et de ses fournisseurs et votre unique recours sont, au choix de Microsoft, de temps à autre, (a) le remboursement du prix payé (selon le cas) pour, ou (B) la réparation ou le remplacement du, PRODUIT LOGICIEL qui n'est pas conforme à la présente Garantie Limitée et qui est retourné à Microsoft avec une copie de votre reçu. Le recours choisi par Microsoft vous est accordé sans frais, sous réserve de toute dépense que vous pourriez encourir (par exemple les coûts de livraison du PRODUIT LOGICIEL à Microsoft). Cette garantie limitée est nulle si la défectuosité du PRODUIT LOGICIEL résulte d'un accident, d'un abus d'utilisation, d'un usage non approprié ou anormal ou d'un virus. Tout PRODUIT LOGICIEL de remplacement sera garanti pour le reste de la périodede garantie initiale ou pendant trente (30) jours, selon la période la plus longue. À l'extérieur des États-Unis et du Canada, aucun recours ou service d'assistance de produit offert par Microsoft n'est disponible sans une preuve d'achat provenant d'une source internationale autorisée. Pour exercer votre recours, veuillez communiquer avec: Microsoft, attn. Microsoft Sales Information Center, à l'adresse indiquée plus bas.

RENONCIATION AUX GARANTIES
La Garantie Limitée ci-dessus est la seule garantie expresse qui vous est accordée et remplace toute autre garantie expresse (selon le cas) apparaissant dans toute documentation ou emballage. Sauf pour la Garantie Limitée et dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, Microsoft et ses fournisseurs fournissent le PRODUIT LOGICIEL et les Services d'assistance (selon le cas) TELS QUELS ET AVEC TOUS SES DÉFAUTS, et par les présentes excluent toute autre garantie et condition, expresse ou implicite, légale ou conventionnelle, écrite ou verbale, y compris, mais sans limitation, toute (selon le cas) garantie et condition implicite ou légale de qualité marchande, de conformité à un usage particulier, d'absence de virus, d'exactitude et d'intégralité des réponses, de résultats, d'efforts techniques et professionnels et d'absence de négligence, le tout relativement au PRODUIT LOGICIEL et à la prestation ou à la non prestation des Services d'assistance. DE PLUS, IL N'Y A AUCUNE GARANTIE ET CONDITION DE TITRE, DE JOUISSANCE PAISIBLE, DE POSSESSION PAISIBLE, DE SIMILARITÉ À LA DESCRIPTION ET D'ABSENCE DE CONTREFAÇON RELATIVEMENT AU PRODUIT LOGICIEL.

PAS DE RESPONSABILITÉ POUR LES DOMMAGES INDIRECTS, ACCESSOIRES ET AUTRES. Dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, Microsoft et ses fournisseurs ne sont en aucun cas responsables de tout dommage spécial, indirect, accessoire, moral ou exemplaire quel qu'il soit (y compris, mais sans limitation, les dommages entraînés par la perte de bénéfices ou la perte d'information confidentielle ou autre, l'interruption des affaires, les préjudices corporels, la perte de confidentialité, le défaut de remplir toute obligation y compris les obligations de bonne foi et de diligence raisonnable, la négligence, et toute autre perte pécuniaire ou autre perte de quelque nature que ce soit) découlant de, ou de toute autre manière lié à, l'utilisation ou l'impossibilité d'utiliser le PRODUIT LOGICIEL, la prestation ou la non-prestation des Services d'assistance, ou autrement en vertu de ou relativement à toute disposition de cette convention, même en cas de faute, délit ou quasi-délit (y compris la négligence), reponsabilité stricte, manquement au contrat ou à une garantie de la part de Microsoft ou de tout fournisseur, même si Microsoft et ses fournisseurs ont été avisés de la possibilité de tels dommages.

LIMITATION DE RESPONSABILITÉ ET RECOURS
Malgré tout dommage que vous pourriez encourir pour quelque raison que ce soit (y compris, sans limitation, tous les dommages mentionnés ci-dessus et tous les dommages directs et généraux), la seule responsabilité de Microsoft et de ses fournisseurs en vertu de toute disposition de cette convention et votre unique recours en regard de tout ce qui précède (sauf dans le cas où Microsoft choisit de réparer ou de remplacer conformément aux termes de la Garantie Limitée) sont limités au plus élevé des montants suivants: soit (a) le montant que vous avez payé pour cette licence, soit (B) un montant équivalent à cinq dollars U.S. (5.00 $U.S.). Les limitations et exclusions ci-dessus (y compris le présent paragraphe et les deux paragraphes précédents) s'appliquent dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, et ce même si leur application a pour effet de priver un recours de son essence.

LÉGISLATION APPLICABLE
Si vous avez acquis ce PRODUIT LOGICIEL au Canada, sauf lorsqu'expressément prohibé par la loi locale, cette convention est régie par les lois en vigueur dans la province d'Ontario, Canada. Pour tout différend qui pourrait découler des présentes, vous reconnaissez la compétence des tribunaux fédéraux et provinciaux siégeant à Toronto, Ontario. Si vous avez des questions concernant cette licence, ou si vous désirez communiquer avec Microsoft pour quelque raison que ce soit, veuillez contacter la succursale Microsoft desservant votre pays, ou écrire à : Microsoft Sales Information Center - One Microsoft Way - Redmond, WA 98052-6399.
0495 Part No. 64358

As I see it, unless you violate ANY other applicable law while procuring it, where the actual software comes from is not a problem, as long as you have a Certificate of Authenticity or the "sticker" on your machine.

Besides the theoretical validity of (lack of it) of the EULA, one needs to think about the practical parts:

1) windows CD's are not numbered, nor "traceable" to an individual

2) not Microsoft, nor any OEM have a record of names of people to whom the software has been sold to

3) the sticker applied on the physical body of the PC is proof enough of the genuinity of the software license accompanying it, though that key number may activate ANY number of specific CD's (if OEM) or generic ones (if Retail)

4) the accidental loss or destruction of the CD, or however the temporary or permanent inability to produce the original media is not grounds enough to void your rights, as the making of a backup copy is allowed by the License

5) there is no possible way to determine whether this backup copy was made from the original media shipped with the EULA or from any of the millions of similar ones

This said, I personally:

1) have NEVER in my life bought a PC which did not came with an original, OEM or Retail, install media, and every time I was offered a computer with pre-installed or "recovery only CD/DVD" I declined the offer, and wrote to the local and national representative of the firm to complain about this in my view unfair practice, even obtaining in one case, the offer of a "real" install CD free of charge

2) have ALWAYS made first thing a backup copy of the install CD, storing the original one together with it's Certificate of Authenticity and invoice in a presumably safe place, always using the backup copy for re-installs

3) always photocopied the back of laptops (with the sticker - that normally becomes unreadable after a few months of field use) together with the front page of the local newspaper and the invoice, storing this copy together with original media and CoA

4) always transferred, in writing, the above items to the buyer when selling away old PC's, even when I donated a few to the local charity

(better be safe than sorry) ;)

jaclaz

Comments?

Sure. :)

Good comments? :unsure:

Maybe. :ph34r:

My personal take on the matter, not necessarily legally sound and definitely NOT in every country.

The Microsoft (as most software Licenses) EULA's is a contract where:

1) You pay an amount of money to be authorized to USE a software within a number of "set rules"

2) The Vendor grants you this right in exchange for money

Besides the fact that in my personal opinion, at least in Italy and possibly in all EU, this contract is hardly enforceable as it is NOT signed by the two parts, thus being potentially void of all effects, often it is worded in such a way that, expecially for consumer market, it violates basic rights of information, as a recent sentence has stated regarding OEM XP:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Not-sure-why-thi...ng-t115968.html

the actual media containing the software may or may not be part of the deal, see the old U.S. class action against HP:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16343

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.co...settlement.com/

The "standard" Win98SE Eula:

MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION
END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT SOFTWARE

IMPORTANT-READ CAREFULLY: This Microsoft End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software product identified above, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT"). The SOFTWARE PRODUCT also includes any updates and supplements to the original SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to you by Microsoft. Any software provided along with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that is associated with a separate end-user license agreement is licensed to you under the terms of that license agreement. By installing, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; you may, however, return it to your place of purchase for a full refund.

SOFTWARE PRODUCT LICENSE
The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.

1. GRANT OF LICENSE. This EULA grants you the following rights:

Systems Software. You may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a single computer, including a workstation, terminal or other digital electronic device ("COMPUTER"). You may permit a maximum of five (5) COMPUTERS to connect to the single COMPUTER running the SOFTWARE PRODUCT solely to access the Internet using the Internet Connection Sharing feature of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. You may not allow these connected COMPUTERS to use any other components of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, nor to invoke application sharing as described below. The five (5) connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections.

Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on your other COMPUTERS over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate a license for each separate COMPUTER on or from which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run. A license for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may not be shared or used concurrently on different COMPUTERS. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any number of COMPUTERS may access or otherwise utilize the file and print services and peer web services of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. In addition, you may use the "Multiple Display" feature of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to expand your desktop as described in the on-line Help file, without obtaining a license for each display.

License Pak. If this package is a Microsoft License Pak, you may install and use additional copies of the computer software portion of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT up to the number of copies specified above as "Licensed Copies".

2. DESCRIPTION OF OTHER RIGHTS AND LIMITATIONS

Academic Edition Software. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is identified as "Academic Edition" or "AE," you must be a "Qualified Educational User" to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. If you are not a Qualified Education User, you have no rights under this EULA. To determine if you are a Qualified Educational User, please contact the Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399 or the Microsoft subsidiary serving your country.

Not For Resale Software. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is labeled "Not For Resale" or "NFR," then, notwithstanding other sections of this EULA, your use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is limited to use for demonstration, test, or evaluation purposes and you may not resell, or otherwise transfer for value, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Separation of Components. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

Rental. You may not rent, lease or lend the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Trademarks. This EULA does not grant you any rights in connection with any trademarks or service marks of Microsoft.

Application Sharing. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT may contain Microsoft NetMeeting, a product that enables applications to be shared between two or more computers, even if an application is installed on only one of the computers. You may use this technology with all Microsoft application products for multi-party conferences. For non-Microsoft applications, you should consult the accompanying license agreement or contact the licensor to determine whether application sharing is permitted by the licensor.

Support Services. Microsoft may provide you with support services related to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT ("Support Services"). Use of Support Services is governed by the Microsoft polices and programs described in the user manual, in "on line" documentation and/or other Microsoft-provided materials. Any supplemental software code provided to you as part of the Support Services shall be considered part of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and subject to the terms and conditions of this EULA. With respect to technical information you provide to Microsoft as part of the Support Services, Microsoft may use such information for its business purposes, including for product support and development. Microsoft will not utilize such technical information in a form that personally identifies you.

Software Transfer. The initial user of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may make a one-time permanent transfer of this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT only directly to an end user. This transfer must include all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA, and, if applicable, the Certificate of Authenticity). Such transfer may not be by way of consignment or any other indirect transfer. The transferee of such one-time transfer must agree to comply with the terms of this EULA, including the obligation not to further transfer this EULA and SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

Termination. Without prejudice to any other rights, Microsoft may terminate this EULA if you fail to comply with the terms and conditions of this EULA. In such event, you must destroy all copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and all of its component parts.

3. UPGRADES. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is labeled as an upgrade, you must be properly licensed to use a product identified by Microsoft as being eligible for the upgrade in order to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT. A SOFTWARE PRODUCT labeled as an upgrade replaces and/or supplements the product that formed the basis for your eligibility for the upgrade. You may use the resulting upgraded product only in accordance with the terms of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is an upgrade of a component of a package of software programs that you licensed as a single product, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT may be used and transferred only as part of that single product package and may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

4. COPYRIGHT. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and "applets" incorporated into the SOFTWARE PRODUCT), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are owned by Microsoft or its suppliers. All title and intellectual property rights in and to the content which may be accessed through use of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is the property of the respective content owner and may be protected by applicable copyright or other intellectual property laws and treaties. This EULA grants you no rights to use such content. All rights not expressly granted are reserved by Microsoft.

5. DUAL-MEDIA SOFTWARE. You may receive the SOFTWARE PRODUCT in more than one medium. Regardless of the type or size of medium you receive, you may use only one medium that is appropriate for your single computer. You may not use or install the other medium on another computer. You may not loan, rent, lease, lend or otherwise transfer the other medium to another user, except as part of the permanent transfer (as provided above) of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

6. BACKUP COPY. After installation of one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT pursuant to this EULA, you may keep the original media on which the SOFTWARE PRODUCT was provided by Microsoft solely for backup or archival purposes. If the original media is required to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT on the COMPUTER, you may make one copy of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT solely for backup or archival purposes. Except as expressly provided in this EULA, you may not otherwise make copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or the printed materials accompanying the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

7. U.S. GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED RIGHTS. All SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to the U.S. Government pursuant to solicitations issued on or after December 1, 1995 is provided with the commercial license rights and restrictions described elsewhere herein. All SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to the U. S. Government pursuant to soliciations issued prior to December 1, 1995 is provided with "Restricted Rights" as provided for in FAR, 48 CFR 52.227-14 (JUNE 1987) or DFAR, 48 CFR 252.227-7013 (OCT 1988), as applicable.

8. EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. You agree that you will not export or re-export the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, any part thereof, or any process or service that is the direct product of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (the foregoing collectively referred to as the "Restricted Components"), to any country, person or entity subject to U.S. export restrictions. You specifically agree not to export or re-export any of the Restricted Components: (i) to any country to which the U.S. has embargoed or restricted the export of goods or services, which currently include, but are not necessarily limited to Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan and Syria, or to any national of any such country, wherever located, who intends to transmit or transport the Restricted Components back to such country; (ii) to any person or entity who you know or have reason to know will utilize the Restricted Components in the design, development or production of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons; or (iii) to any person or entity who has been prohibited from participating in U.S. export transactions by any federal agency of the U.S. government. You warrant and represent that neither the BXA nor any other U.S. federal agency has suspended, revoked or denied your export privileges.

9. NOTE ON JAVA SUPPORT. THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN SUPPORT FOR PROGRAMS WRITTEN IN JAVA. JAVA TECHNOLOGY IS NOT FAULT TOLERANT AND IS NOT DESIGNED, MANUFACTURED, OR INTENDED FOR USE OR RESALE AS ON-LINE CONTROL EQUIPMENT IN HAZARDOUS ENVIRONMENTS REQUIRING FAIL-SAFE PERFORMANCE, SUCH AS IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, DIRECT LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES, OR WEAPONS SYSTEMS, IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF JAVA TECHNOLOGY COULD LEAD DIRECTLY TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE. Sun Microsystems, Inc. has contractually obligated Microsoft to make this disclaimer.

MISCELLANEOUS
If you acquired this product in the United States, this EULA is governed by the laws of the State of Washington. If you acquired this product in Canada, this EULA is governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada. Each of the parties hereto irrevocably attorns to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario and further agrees to commence any litigation which may arise here under in the courts located in the Judicial District of York, Province of Ontario. If this product was acquired outside the United States, then local law may apply. Should you have any questions concerning this EULA, or if you desire to contact Microsoft for any reason, please contact Microsoft, or write: Microsoft Sales Information Center/One Microsoft Way/Redmond, WA 98052-6399.

LIMITED WARRANTY
Microsoft warrants that the SOFTWARE PRODUCT will perform substantially in accordance with the accompanying written materials for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of receipt.

If an implied warranty or condition is created by your state/jurisdiction and federal or state/provincial law prohibits disclaimer of it, you also have an implied warranty or condition,BUT ONLY AS TO DEFECTS DISCOVERED DURING THE PERIOD OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY (NINETY (90) DAYS). AS TO ANY DEFECTS DISCOVERED AFTER THE NINETY (90) DAY PERIOD, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow limitations on duration of an implied warranty, so the above limitation may not apply to you. Any supplements or updates to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, including without limitation, any (if any) service pack or hot fixes provided to you after the expiration of the ninety (90) day Limited Warranty period are not covered by any warranty or condition, express or implied.

LIMITATION ON REMEDIES; NO CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHER DAMAGES
Your exclusive remedy for any breach of this Limited Warranty is as set forth below. Except for any refund elected by Microsoft, YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, if the SOFTWARE PRODUCT does not meet Microsoft's Limited Warranty, and, to the maximum extent allowed by applicable law, even if any remedy fails of its essential purpose. The terms "Exclusion of Incidental, Consequential and Certain Other Damages" below are also incorporated into this Limited Warranty. Some states/jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This Limited Warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have others which vary from state/jurisdiction to state/jurisdiction.

YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY
Microsoft's and its suppliers' entire liability and your exclusive remedy shall be, at Microsoft's option from time to time, (a) return of the price paid (if any) for, or (B) repair or replacement of, the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that does not meet this Limited Warranty and that is returned to Microsoft with a copy of your receipt. You will receive the remedy elected by Microsoft without charge, except that you are responsible for any expenses you may incur (e.g. cost of shipping the SOFTWARE PRODUCT to Microsoft). This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT has resulted from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus. Any replacement SOFTWARE PRODUCT will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. Outside the United States or Canada, neither these remedies nor any product support services offered by Microsoft are available without proof of purchase from an authorized international source. To exercise your remedy, contact: Microsoft, Attn. Microsoft Sales Information Center at the address specified above.

DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
The limited warranty that appears above is the only express warranty made to you and is provided in lieu of any other express warranties (if any) created by any documentation or packaging. Except for the limited warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Microsoft and its suppliers provide the SOFTWARE PRODUCT and Support Services (if any) AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS, and hereby disclaim all other warranties andconditions, either express, implied or statutory, including, but not limited to, any (if any) implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, of fitness for a particular purpose, of lack of viruses, of accuracy or completeness of responses, of results, and of lack of negligence or lack of workmanlike effort, all with regard to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, and the provision of or failure to provide Support Services. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, QUIET POSSESSION, CORRESPONDENCE TO DESCRIPTION OR NON-INFRINGEMENT WITH REGARD TO THE SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL AND CERTAIN OTHER DAMAGES
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event shall Microsoft or its suppliers be liable for any special, incidental, indirect, or consequential damages whatsoever (including, but not limited to, damages for loss of profits or confidential or other information, for business interruption, for personal injury, for loss of privacy, for failure to meet any duty including of good faith or of reasonable care, for negligence, and for any other pecuniary or other loss whatsoever) arising out of or in any way related to the use of or inability to use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, the provision of or failure to provide Support Services, or otherwise under or in connection with any provision of this EULA, even in the event of the fault, tort (including negligence), strict liability, breach of contract or breach of warranty of Microsoft or any supplier, and even if microsoft or any supplier has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND REMEDIES
Notwithstanding any damages that you might incur for any reason whatsoever (including, without limitation, all damages referenced above and all direct or general damages), the entire liability of Microsoft and any of its suppliers under any provision of this EULA and your exclusive remedy for all of the foregoing (except for any remedy of repair or replacement elected by Microsoft with respect to any breach of the Limited Warranty) shall be limited to the greater of the amount actually paid by you for the SOFTWARE PRODUCT or U.S.$5.00. The foregoing limitations, exclusions and disclaimers described above shall apply to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, even if any remedy fails its essential purpose.

Si vous avez acquis votre produit Microsoft au CANADA, la garantie limitée suivante vous concerne:

Microsoft garantit que la performance du PRODUIT LOGICIEL sera substantiellement en conformité avec la documentation écrite qui accompagne le PRODUIT LOGICIEL, pour une période de quatre-vingt-dix (90) jours à compter de la date de réception.

Si une garantie ou condition implicite ou légale existe en vertu de la loi de votre état ou juridiction et qu'une loi fédérale ou provinciale prohibe toute exclusion ou renonciation à une telle garantie ou condition, vous avez également une garantie ou condition implicite ou légale, MAIS SEULEMENT EN CE QUI CONCERNE LES DÉFAUTS DÉCOUVERTS PENDANT LA DURÉE DE CETTE GARANTIE LIMITÉE (QUATRE-VINGT-DIX (90) JOURS). EN CE QUI CONCERNE LES DÉFAUTS DÉCOUVERTS APRÈS LA DURÉE DE QUATRE-VINGT-DIX (90) JOURS, IL N'EXISTE AUCUNE GARANTIE OU CONDITION DE QUELQUE NATURE QUE CE SOIT. Puisque certains états ou juridictions ne permettent pas la limitation de la durée des garanties ou conditions légales ou implicites, il est possible que la limitation ci-dessus ne vous concerne pas.

Tout supplément ou mise à jour du PRODUIT LOGICIEL, y compris sans limitation, tout (s'il y a lieu) ensemble de modifications provisoires (``Service Pack`` ou ``hot fixes``) qui vous est fourni après l'expiration de la période de quatre-vingt-dix (90) jours de cette garantie limitée ne sont couverts par aucune garantie ou condition, expresse ou implicite, légale ou conventionnelle, écrite ou verbale.

LIMITATION DES RECOURS; ABSENCE DE DOMMAGES INDIRECTS ET AUTRES
Votre unique recours pour tout manquement à la présente Garantie Limitée est tel que décrit ci-dessous. À l'exception de tout remboursement à la discrétion de Microsoft, VOUS N'AVEZ DROIT À AUCUN DOMMAGE, Y COMPRIS, MAIS SANS LIMITATION, LES DOMMAGES INDIRECTS, ACCESSOIRES, MORAUX OU EXEMPLAIRES, si le PRODUIT LOGICIEL n'est pas conforme à la Garantie Limitée de Microsoft et ce, dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, et même si un recours est privé de son essence. Les termes du paragraphe ci-dessous intitulé ``Absence de dommages accessoires, indirects et autres`` font également partie intégrante de la présente Garantie Limitée. Puisque certains états ou juridictions ne permettent pas l'exclusion ou la limitation des dommages accessoires et indirects, il est possible que la limitation ou exclusion ci-dessus ne vous concerne pas. Cette Garantie Limitée vous accorde des droits juridiques spécifiques. Il est possible que vous en ayez d'autres variant d'un état ou d'une juridiction à l'autre.

VOTRE SEUL RECOURS
La seule responsabilité de Microsoft et de ses fournisseurs et votre unique recours sont, au choix de Microsoft, de temps à autre, (a) le remboursement du prix payé (selon le cas) pour, ou (B) la réparation ou le remplacement du, PRODUIT LOGICIEL qui n'est pas conforme à la présente Garantie Limitée et qui est retourné à Microsoft avec une copie de votre reçu. Le recours choisi par Microsoft vous est accordé sans frais, sous réserve de toute dépense que vous pourriez encourir (par exemple les coûts de livraison du PRODUIT LOGICIEL à Microsoft). Cette garantie limitée est nulle si la défectuosité du PRODUIT LOGICIEL résulte d'un accident, d'un abus d'utilisation, d'un usage non approprié ou anormal ou d'un virus. Tout PRODUIT LOGICIEL de remplacement sera garanti pour le reste de la périodede garantie initiale ou pendant trente (30) jours, selon la période la plus longue. À l'extérieur des États-Unis et du Canada, aucun recours ou service d'assistance de produit offert par Microsoft n'est disponible sans une preuve d'achat provenant d'une source internationale autorisée. Pour exercer votre recours, veuillez communiquer avec: Microsoft, attn. Microsoft Sales Information Center, à l'adresse indiquée plus bas.

RENONCIATION AUX GARANTIES
La Garantie Limitée ci-dessus est la seule garantie expresse qui vous est accordée et remplace toute autre garantie expresse (selon le cas) apparaissant dans toute documentation ou emballage. Sauf pour la Garantie Limitée et dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, Microsoft et ses fournisseurs fournissent le PRODUIT LOGICIEL et les Services d'assistance (selon le cas) TELS QUELS ET AVEC TOUS SES DÉFAUTS, et par les présentes excluent toute autre garantie et condition, expresse ou implicite, légale ou conventionnelle, écrite ou verbale, y compris, mais sans limitation, toute (selon le cas) garantie et condition implicite ou légale de qualité marchande, de conformité à un usage particulier, d'absence de virus, d'exactitude et d'intégralité des réponses, de résultats, d'efforts techniques et professionnels et d'absence de négligence, le tout relativement au PRODUIT LOGICIEL et à la prestation ou à la non prestation des Services d'assistance. DE PLUS, IL N'Y A AUCUNE GARANTIE ET CONDITION DE TITRE, DE JOUISSANCE PAISIBLE, DE POSSESSION PAISIBLE, DE SIMILARITÉ À LA DESCRIPTION ET D'ABSENCE DE CONTREFAÇON RELATIVEMENT AU PRODUIT LOGICIEL.

PAS DE RESPONSABILITÉ POUR LES DOMMAGES INDIRECTS, ACCESSOIRES ET AUTRES. Dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, Microsoft et ses fournisseurs ne sont en aucun cas responsables de tout dommage spécial, indirect, accessoire, moral ou exemplaire quel qu'il soit (y compris, mais sans limitation, les dommages entraînés par la perte de bénéfices ou la perte d'information confidentielle ou autre, l'interruption des affaires, les préjudices corporels, la perte de confidentialité, le défaut de remplir toute obligation y compris les obligations de bonne foi et de diligence raisonnable, la négligence, et toute autre perte pécuniaire ou autre perte de quelque nature que ce soit) découlant de, ou de toute autre manière lié à, l'utilisation ou l'impossibilité d'utiliser le PRODUIT LOGICIEL, la prestation ou la non-prestation des Services d'assistance, ou autrement en vertu de ou relativement à toute disposition de cette convention, même en cas de faute, délit ou quasi-délit (y compris la négligence), reponsabilité stricte, manquement au contrat ou à une garantie de la part de Microsoft ou de tout fournisseur, même si Microsoft et ses fournisseurs ont été avisés de la possibilité de tels dommages.

LIMITATION DE RESPONSABILITÉ ET RECOURS
Malgré tout dommage que vous pourriez encourir pour quelque raison que ce soit (y compris, sans limitation, tous les dommages mentionnés ci-dessus et tous les dommages directs et généraux), la seule responsabilité de Microsoft et de ses fournisseurs en vertu de toute disposition de cette convention et votre unique recours en regard de tout ce qui précède (sauf dans le cas où Microsoft choisit de réparer ou de remplacer conformément aux termes de la Garantie Limitée) sont limités au plus élevé des montants suivants: soit (a) le montant que vous avez payé pour cette licence, soit (B) un montant équivalent à cinq dollars U.S. (5.00 $U.S.). Les limitations et exclusions ci-dessus (y compris le présent paragraphe et les deux paragraphes précédents) s'appliquent dans toute la mesure permise par la législation en vigueur, et ce même si leur application a pour effet de priver un recours de son essence.

LÉGISLATION APPLICABLE
Si vous avez acquis ce PRODUIT LOGICIEL au Canada, sauf lorsqu'expressément prohibé par la loi locale, cette convention est régie par les lois en vigueur dans la province d'Ontario, Canada. Pour tout différend qui pourrait découler des présentes, vous reconnaissez la compétence des tribunaux fédéraux et provinciaux siégeant à Toronto, Ontario. Si vous avez des questions concernant cette licence, ou si vous désirez communiquer avec Microsoft pour quelque raison que ce soit, veuillez contacter la succursale Microsoft desservant votre pays, ou écrire à : Microsoft Sales Information Center - One Microsoft Way - Redmond, WA 98052-6399.
0495 Part No. 64358

As I see it, unless you violate ANY other applicable law while procuring it, where the actual software comes from is not a problem, as long as you have a Certificate of Authenticity or the "sticker" on your machine.

Besides the theoretical validity of (lack of it) of the EULA, one needs to think about the practical parts:

1) windows CD's are not numbered, nor "traceable" to an individual

2) not Microsoft, nor any OEM have a record of names of people to whom the software has been sold to

3) the sticker applied on the physical body of the PC is proof enough of the genuinity of the software license accompanying it, though that key number may activate ANY number of specific CD's (if OEM) or generic ones (if Retail)

4) the accidental loss or destruction of the CD, or however the temporary or permanent inability to produce the original media is not grounds enough to void your rights, as the making of a backup copy is allowed by the License

5) there is no possible way to determine whether this backup copy was made from the original media shipped with the EULA or from any of the millions of similar ones

This said, I personally:

1) have NEVER in my life bought a PC which did not came with an original, OEM or Retail, install media, and every time I was offered a computer with pre-installed or "recovery only CD/DVD" I declined the offer, and wrote to the local and national representative of the firm to complain about this in my view unfair practice, even obtaining in one case, the offer of a "real" install CD free of charge

2) have ALWAYS made first thing a backup copy of the install CD, storing the original one together with it's Certificate of Authenticity and invoice in a presumably safe place, always using the backup copy for re-installs

3) always photocopied the back of laptops (with the sticker - that normally becomes unreadable after a few months of field use) together with the front page of the local newspaper and the invoice, storing this copy together with original media and CoA

4) always transferred, in writing, the above items to the buyer when selling away old PC's, even when I donated a few to the local charity

(better be safe than sorry) ;)

jaclaz