Manually Replace Old Icon in [Downloaded Program Files] Folder

rootsandculture

It works!! :thumbup I have to test in x64 at home.

Now another question, can i save the modified .dll file (occache.dll) for replacing file directly in case of reinstall OS (same OS version of course), maybe i've to do it in safe mode?

This way i haven't to install Restorator and do the process again.

It works!! :thumbup I have to test in x64 at home.

Now another question, can i save the modified .dll file (occache.dll) for replacing file directly in case of reinstall OS (same OS version of course), maybe i've to do it in safe mode?

This way i haven't to install Restorator and do the process again.

But it doesn't under x64. I replace both in wow64 & system32

Edited by rootsandculture

• 1 year later...

I tried new Reshacker runs under x64 native, but it seem like this old folder icon is in some place too. I replaced both in sys32 and syswow64 folders but the old icon remains there. I open those files in reshacker again and it has the icons changed, i don-t know what-s wrong, any help?

I tried new Reshacker runs under x64 native, but it seem like this old folder icon is in some place too. I replaced both in sys32 and syswow64 folders but the old icon remains there. I open those files in reshacker again and it has the icons changed, i don-t know what-s wrong, any help?

I'm kinda peeved Angus decided to update his venerable ResHacker to support x64 because my free Resourcer program has supported it from the beginning, now people are going to him for downloads instead of me, ah well.

Merely replacing the icon in the EXE then saving it will have no effect as the file will be overwritten when you reboot. You'll need to bypass System File Protection somehow, there are various means of doing this (Anolis Installer / xpize does it by using MoveFileEx/PFRO table and then rebooting).