More than 30GB space missing in WinXP

CypherHackz

Hi, I have a partition with size of 70GB. The problem is the free space that available is only 5GB. I have viewed my hard disk using JDiskReport (http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/) and the biggest folder in the partition is only 20GB something. Plus with other folders which are about 20-30MB, I think I should have about 40GB free space in that partition.

So my question is, how can I troubleshoot what are the causes of the missing space? And also is there anyway to fix it?

Thank you.

OK here goes:

Paging file = 1.5x your ram

Hibernation file can end up being almost any size (Usually HUGE though)

Sytem file recovery size = 12% of partition (9ish gigs)

Recycle bin = 10% of parttion (7gigs)

So there is some of your "Missing" space.

Now right click on recylcle bin and move that down to say 5%

Right click on My Computer and then properties then choose system restore tab first disable it then reboot to flush the old files then re-enable it and set it to like 5% also

Then go to http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds and download the "slim" version and install it (Don't worry it's TINY) now run it and have it clean all of the old junk and temp files... Also have it do a reg scan just for the health of it....

Now you should have at least 15-20gigs free "SHOULD" being the operative word there :P

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

OK here goes:

Paging file = 1.5x your ram

Hibernation file can end up being almost any size (Usually HUGE though)

Sytem file recovery size = 12% of partition (9ish gigs)

Recycle bin = 10% of parttion (7gigs)

So there is some of your "Missing" space.

Now right click on recylcle bin and move that down to say 5%

Right click on My Computer and then properties then choose system restore tab first disable it then reboot to flush the old files then re-enable it and set it to like 5% also

Then go to http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds and download the "slim" version and install it (Don't worry it's TINY) now run it and have it clean all of the old junk and temp files... Also have it do a reg scan just for the health of it....

Now you should have at least 15-20gigs free "SHOULD" being the operative word there :P

Already done that but it doesn't solve the problem. :P

Well i'll be damned... :o

OK you say you used that one program right?

Looks like you'll hafta do some browsing to find which folder cantains all of the extra space. Also when doing that browsing make sure your hidden files AND system hidden files show.

How big is your windows folder?

Is your hidden recycler folder filled with crap from past installs? I have seen that happen.

looks like you may have a hidden recovery partition.

is it a laptop? i think some desktops also have hidden partitions.

reason is you are showing your c: partition size to be 24.7 gb. the other space is either unpartitioned or in a recovery partition.

right-click my computer --> manage --> disk management

take screenshot and post here.

Are there other accounts on the system? Is yours an admin account?

If there are other accounts on the system, your scan might only be able to find the size of files that you have permission to access (i.e. your own). There could be files owned by another user that you can't read, and therefore, can't see the size of.

I just checked JDiskReport, and it was off by 2GB on my file system usage... I'd recommend SequoiaView to analyze the file space used. It also gives you a much better breakdown of where the large files and folders are.

WinDirStat (http://windirstat.info/) is another option. Its an open source program (apparently loosely based on the Linux app KDirStat) that displays disk contents in a similar way to SequoiaView but includes a little more info on the same screen. Although it doesn't have the filtering options that SequoiaView has but I like it better.

windirstat.jpg

It has also been updated a little more recently than SequoiaView, and is stable on Vista for anyone else that's interested.

[edit] added a pic

Edited by JedMeister

looks like you may have a hidden recovery partition.

is it a laptop? i think some desktops also have hidden partitions.

reason is you are showing your c: partition size to be 24.7 gb. the other space is either unpartitioned or in a recovery partition.

right-click my computer --> manage --> disk management

take screenshot and post here.

Below is the screenshot of my computer mangement.

post-206128-1219283465_thumb.jpg

Are there other accounts on the system? Is yours an admin account?

If there are other accounts on the system, your scan might only be able to find the size of files that you have permission to access (i.e. your own). There could be files owned by another user that you can't read, and therefore, can't see the size of.

I just checked JDiskReport, and it was off by 2GB on my file system usage... I'd recommend SequoiaView to analyze the file space used. It also gives you a much better breakdown of where the large files and folders are.

Nope. I am the only one who have full control of the laptop.

I'd suggest you search for alternate streams in your files, and/or for rootkits.

There is a very helpful util from sysinternals (now in microsoft) called streams.exe that shows all the alternative streams in your files.

They also have a rootkit revealer utility. Google sysinternals

Regards,

Yianni.

Hmm... I'd recommend a backup + reformat of your drive, and see if that retains full functionality/space from it. Really the recovery partition isn't needed, because (you should) have the XP disk...

What have you been using the laptop for? Intensive use? Has there been lots of crashing applications recently? It could be that a few of your log files may have gotten huge.

Edited by techywiz2007

Yeah, it just seems like you need a fresh reinstall.

Also, now I see that in your 5th post, the 24 gb is not the total capacity of your hard drive but it represents the used space. That means you have 70 - 24 = 46 gb free.

So question is, where is it reported that you only have 5 gb free? Right click on C: drive and post your properties page here.

If it is indeed showing only 5 gb free, definitely you got a lot of residual junk in your system and fresh install recommended for a faster system.