AMD Cool'n'Quiet

heijo

Hi!

I used nLite to make a Windows XP setup disc with SP3 integrated and unattended install. I used my XP SP2 disc as basis.

After setup finishes I cannot get AMD Cool'n'Quiet working. It works if I use my older XP SP2 disc, but when I integrate the SP3 and try to install from it, Cool'n'Quiet won't work no matter what I do. I have tried this on two computers with no success. I have also tried to use older nLite version and no affect.

When installing from my SP2 disc, all I have to do is run AMD's cpu driver, reboot and check the processor speed with AMD Clock 2.0.1 and everything is okay. Now when I use setup disc with SP3 integrated I cannot get the cpu driver to work no matter what I do. Rebooting several times, uninstalling/reinstalling cpu driver, driver setup using device manager. Chipset driver doesn't have any effect.

I even tried to copy the SP2 disc and remade a booting disc with nLite and it worked. Problems start when I integrate SP3...

Anyone having any thoughts about this?

Since when did CnQ need a driver? ...XP has no control on those settings

Since always. XP does have control over those settings, and I believe heijo knows how to set them or he wouldn't have gotten it working in SP2 to begin with.

I'm afraid I can't be of any help here, heijo. I haven't run XP x86 on any of my systems in months, and I've never used SP3 except in VM. Although I think you know this already, have you tried setting the Power scheme to "Minimal Power Management"? That should do it if everything else you've mentioned is set properly.

post-62992-1219182133_thumb.png

Edited by 5eraph

Thanks!

I'll take a look at the power management if it has any significant difference in the matter. I have a faint idea that it ought not to have any...

Strange though that if I installed SP3 afterwards it had no effect, but in slipstreamed setup it doesn't work.

Here's a quicktip to make Cool'N'Quiet work with actual overclocking, while also being able to use the feats of cnq. Download a program called RMclock, i believe that was the name. In there you can set what clock frequencies your cpu should run at when idle, medium speed, and full speed. Or you could even add more steps. Combining this with other potential priority software you could have a clock set for 99% cpu usage(archiving/backup), and one for 100% (which would be gaming). And of course you could decide the lowest clock and thus have the lowest clock match the lowest voltage needed. So you dont give too much voltage, nor too little. Takes some time to set it up, but when its done its done. Also RmClock can be used as a portable program, as you can have setting files exported to whereever you like.

That power scheme did the trick. How could I have overlooked something so relevant?!?!

Thanks 5eraph! If You ever come to Finland I'll buy You a pint! :)

Strange thing is that in all my previous nLite'd discs the power scheme was in "minimal" as default (or at least I think so). I don't remember ever setting it to any position... Seems that in this case it had to be set manually as "minimal".

Thanks again!