Display (Nvidia 7600) Crashes on dv9207us

RMDesai

Hello,

I hope that this is not the famous Nvidia chipset issue.

My HP dv9207us laptop has a Nvidia 7600 graphics with 256MB dedicated video memory. It has been running fine until recently when it is giving display problems.

On power-up, it allows me to enter the BIOS.

It goes into the OS booting process, loads the wireless driver (I see the LED near the switch turn blue from orange), then it throws garbage and then blanks. I have no option to press the power button for 4sec to turn it off.

It does allow me to boot into DOS. It does allow me to boot into safe mode with networking too!

It behaves like this on both XP (SP2) and Vista (SP1).

Why could it be doing so? Is it the graphics driver issue? But then it ran well for more than a year.

Could it be some kind of heating issue that it has developed over a period of time? Is this a common issue with this model?

Kindly suggest me on further action. Do let me know if you need any further info.

All the drivers are downloaded from the HP website.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Ravindra.

It behaves like this on both XP (SP2) and Vista (SP1).

Why could it be doing so? Is it the graphics driver issue? But then it ran well for more than a year.

If you are sure the drivers are properly installed and if you had it dual booting correctly for a year, this sounds like a hardware problem. The card does not work at full resolution anymore. It does not sound as a heating problem though. If it's still under warranty, try to get it replaced.

If you are sure the drivers are properly installed and if you had it dual booting correctly for a year, this sounds like a hardware problem. The card does not work at full resolution anymore.

Hello,

As an ignorant on this topic, kindly let me ask you if the "display at full resolution" is a property associated with the driver or is it something associated with the hardware itself.

The laptop displays things nicely and runs fin at 1024 X 768. It is only at its rated resolution of 1200 x 800, which is 'enabled' after installing the driver that it fails. So is it that the driver enables some part of the graphics card, and it is this part that now seems to be damaged?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Ravindra.

I imagine different modes make components work at different rates rather than really use different physical components from a video card (not sure here). But the problem is hardware. You could also, if possible, plug an external CRT to be sure the screen chip is not the culprit.

Hello,

Functionality to switch to external monitor is absent without the drivers.

I contactedHP they said that they are working on a fix for this issue. Let's see.

Thanks for all your time.

Regards,

Ravindra.