Does pci-e card support windows98?

aqcww

You do know that for PCI-E you'll need a new motherboard, right? The 8600GT is not supported on 98 (and it's a piece of junk, i've had 3 of them die in 8 months), i'm pretty sure of that. 7 series cards should work however.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

You do know that for PCI-E you'll need a new motherboard, right? The 8600GT is not supported on 98 (and it's a piece of junk, i've had 3 of them die in 8 months), i'm pretty sure of that. 7 series cards should work however.

You sure that 8 series doesn't support win98?why?

Now the cards you can buy in the shops are most 8 series.it's hard to buy a 7.

You sure that 8 series doesn't support win98?why?

Because there are no drivers.

Haha,the mdgx's nvidia driver supports 8~

sure,although mdgx didn't speak that the driver support 8 in the posts.you can go into his webside,the 8 is in the support-list.

Edited by aqcww

You're right, PCI-e is not a problem. And modded drivers are supposed to support series 8. However this has never been tested yet.

The best would be to find a shop where you can return the product if you're not satisfied. This way, you could test the card.

Oh, and remember to avoid cards with more than 256mb of video RAM or you won't be able to use it on win9x !!! That's why my 8800GT won't work on 98.

I know what you mean by "hard to buy". I was looking for a serie 7 card recently. Well... it's almost impossible to find one and even harder at a reasonnable price.

Here's an old topic where people got things to work:

http://www.msfn.org/board/PCIe-with-Win98SE-t63727.html

But now in 2008? First you need win98 mainboard drivers too in order to get your pci-e port work. If not your GT8600 runs in pci mode. Better stick with your agp card in that case.

And why you want the GT8600 anyway? It's not that much faster than a x850xt. Core speeds are about the same. Mem is faster but all 8600GT's I found have a 128bits memory bus. Your 850xt should have a 256 bits bus. DX10 or openGL2? Not on your win98 machine...

Where's the gain?

You're right, PCI-e is not a problem. And modded drivers are supposed to support series 8. However this has never been tested yet.

The best would be to find a shop where you can return the product if you're not satisfied. This way, you could test the card.

Oh, and remember to avoid cards with more than 256mb of video RAM or you won't be able to use it on win9x !!! That's why my 8800GT won't work on 98.

I know what you mean by "hard to buy". I was looking for a serie 7 card recently. Well... it's almost impossible to find one and even harder at a reasonnable price.

that's 256mb.

Here's an old topic where people got things to work:

http://www.msfn.org/board/PCIe-with-Win98SE-t63727.html

But now in 2008? First you need win98 mainboard drivers too in order to get your pci-e port work. If not your GT8600 runs in pci mode. Better stick with your agp card in that case.

And why you want the GT8600 anyway? It's not that much faster than a x850xt. Core speeds are about the same. Mem is faster but all 8600GT's I found have a 128bits memory bus. Your 850xt should have a 256 bits bus. DX10 or openGL2? Not on your win98 machine...

Where's the gain?

sure,ummmmm.now i have two systems in my pc.they are 98 and xp.i wanna play some good games on xp,like cod4,bf2...so i wanna upngrade my card(x850xt is not good and old enough).but i don't want to leave my 98.this is a hard decision...

and x850xt supports dx9.0b,sm3.0

8600 supports dx10.0(sure,this is unimportant)it supports sm4.0

Edited by aqcww