[SOLVED] My mistake with an add-on--> Always test your discs

Happy-Dude

EDIT 3::

***Well, I can't do any testing now since my dad's back home. And he's a real a** about me and my needs, so ... I'll leave it be until hes away. I've created a .iso with the Drivermax Drivers and have not integrated any add-ons. <-- Well ... Maybe integrated WMP11 and XPize Darkside (svcpack install with switches) and IE7 and Kel's packs ... But thats about it :D ***

EDIT 2::

Nope, it wasn't an WMP11 fault.

Trying more modular approach:

--SP3

--RVMi (themes + system patches + update pack)

--XPize 4.7

--Drivers

--booggys integrator

Test

++

Then I'll add half the add-ons (perhaps up to advanced windows care) and test.

-----------------------------

Update::

Slipstreaming WMP11 last reinstated the entries. But ... This SVCPack's .inf is funny.

Does it matter if there are quotes ("") hugging entries? Like for example:

"XPize_Darkside_2_1_by_zedox.exe /S /norestore /nouxtheme /nomsxml3 /nooe /novs /noboot /notask /nocursors /nocmd /noskins"
"AvastHome481229.exe /VERYSILENT /SP-"

EDIT::

Heck, I should include the file !! Here's attached for comparisons sake ;) !!

SVCPACK.INF

Edited by Happy-Dude

netfxAIO.exe <-- Here is your issue!!!

Even on my PC (OC'ed e2140 to 2243mHz w\2gigs ram this takes @ 10 minutes to install)

Also XPize darkside is taking like 5 minutes by itself... Integrate it as an hotfix then run again later at your leisure for the file refresher and the extras.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Update --> DARN !! Application error !! (Haven't ran into one of these since the beginning of the week ... -_-)

Gotta get some sleep ... Will redo this in about 5-6 hours (ie noon in my watch).

----------------------------------------------------

netfxAIO.exe <-- Here is your issue!!!

Even on my PC (OC'ed e2140 to 2243mHz w\2gigs ram this takes @ 10 minutes to install)

Also XPize darkside is taking like 5 minutes by itself... Integrate it as an hotfix then run again later at your leisure for the file refresher and the extras.

Thing is, guys, those are set to install as one of the first ones. So, according to svcpack--> .NETaio runs first, then XPize, then others.

And I do recall seeing some installers pop-up and run afterwards.

Besides, I've been waiting about 30 minutes after activity stops (as in, VirtualBox doesn't show activity with hard drive or CD icons). Almost every time activity stops and I have to redo a disk. I don't think those are the problem (I actually believe they install alright, since .NETaio was integrated with RVMi during my -use-nLite-as-little-as-possible test and it worked perfectly. I'll test out the Darkside today in addition to everything else.)

Also, CDBurner and other .NET dependent add-ons install just right (that's how it gets to Advanced Windowscare, after all, according to my integration order).

Right now, I have a disk with:

-SP3

-RVMi (themes + system patches + update pack + .NETaio)

-drivers (from drivermax) + unattended + tweaks + patches + settings + kel's packs + XPize darkside + onepiece's IE7 (and cosmetic)

I'm waiting for the correct moment to test them. There are almost no add-ons, so I will be able to integrate them easily with nLite. I'll try a half and half approach, to try and track down the problem.

**If it is a Drivermax backup drivers problem, this test should show it.

Edited by Happy-Dude

REQUEST for those who wish to make this a little easier on me ... --> I may continue to ask for some assistance since there are sooo many combinations to this problem ... So many possible problem-makers ... >.<;;

~~May someone download Drivermax (http://www.drivermax.com/ )

----Update the program

(no need to update drivers. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it if they work just fine. Reason being, even though my drivers updated and do in fact work fine: Drivermax was able to identify drivers with names --> update --> Drivermax identifies drivers as same BUT has a bunch of ??????????????????'s for them, so that means the name is skewed during update.)

------Export Drivers to a directory

-------Use nLite to integrate this directory (select ALL drivers please, so you/ I can get a test of video and sound and stuff)

What this will do:

~~Tells me that Drivermax driver backups ARE INDEED COMPATIBLE with nLite. This allows me to NOT have to TEST BOTH DRIVERPACKS & THE BACKUPS.

***Also, may someone integrate some themes via add-ons and use nLite's unattended to integrate the local themes? This might allow me to check if integrating themes via nLite and add-ons causes problems.

***Can someone try adding XPize Darkside as add-on via the SVCPACK method: http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t97530.html --> Tells me if Darkside is causing problems.

--------------------------------------------------Update::

DARN IT !! [Long post, skim around and look for a lastsession files and SVCPACK file later on. I will post it soon; I'm hanging out with friends and not at home ;) .]

I just tested my disk this morning and ... Failed again -_- .... I dunno what the heck is going on !!

What worked::

--Slipstreaming SP3

--RVMi with SP3 update pack (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5687 -- author updated r03 to r04, will download soon and use)

--Alright, so RVMi with some system patches (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2274 ) + .NET AIO (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6431 ) + a bunch of themes (like Luna element, VG-refresh, signed themes, etc., a bunch to list and all from ryanvm.net forums) --> there will be updates, so I will look for them

--XPize 4.7 as add-on (so nLite just slipstreams it)

--WMP11 through boooggy's slipstreamer

**Tested and worked with nLite ONLY making ISO, no tweaks or anything else, and burned image with ImgBurn**

What did NOT work::

~~~The above with the continuations of::

--Adding XPize Darkside with method described here (http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t97530.html ) via SVCPack and switches method

--Adding Kel's runtimes (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1954 -- he said there will be an update, so I'll be waiting on it) + Uberpack (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=547 ) + Kel's CPL (http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=337 )

--Adding IE7 (http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4847&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 along with cosmetic)

--Adding Drivermax back-up drivers

--Removing components

--Using unattended settings ++ changing options (like network thing and press key to being and remove MUI language things) ++ using tweaks for interface and services

--------------------------------------------------

What I think is NOT causing the problem::

--Drivermax backup drivers:: since using driverpacks were also met with a -stuck-in-T13-time-

--Tweaks of registry (via nLite) and services:: why the heck would a problem get out from here?

--Add-ons:: all of them are tested via virtual machines (though there are updates to them, which I will look for)

*I almost know for certain that IE7 isn't causing the problem because I was once able to integrate it successfully during one of my messed up installs (don't ask, something just happened and I was able to boot up, where I only saw IE7 and booogy's WMP11) --> Will double check on this

*XPize shouldn't be a problem since it is installing itself anyway, but I'll check this out eventually

*.NET AIO worked with RVMi

*Also, I integrated like only 3-4 addons in my last test. Yet, I still ran into problems -_-

--WMP11:: entries were reinstated during one test into SVCPack (read above) and should be no problem

What I think IS probably causing the problem please look at lastsession and tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong

--Removing certain components --> will double check this

--Using unattended mode

**(but more specifically, I think I'm messing around with integrating local themes. I think it might conflict with some "existing" themes, like Kel's RVC add-on where it replaces the default Luna theme. This might mess with the nLite integration of my original Luna theme. I've asked him for a reworked release, calling his modified theme line Luna2 or something. I am waiting for his next release.)

--Tweaks? I dunno ... I'll double check this too.

--Drivers --> since I'm not 100% sure, I'll alternate between Driverpacks and Drivermax drivers with enough tests. If both still run into the problem after a few trials, I will deem them not causing a problem ;) .

... So, stay tuned ;) !!

I will continue to update as I go along. Course, dad's home, so virtualization tests will have to come in later -_- !!

Thanks for bearing with me guys!! It means a lot to me :) !!

Edited by Happy-Dude

Thanks for the update, Kel :) .

Alright, for those who wish to take a look, here is my lastsession.ini + SVCPACK.INF .

Note:: The *LAST SESSION (205408.20-00.52.52).INI* --> IGNORE the HOTFIXES section. Only used this last session as a reference so I can get all my stuff (drivers + tweaks + settings + unattended) in one shot.

And thus, you can see that in the *LAST SESSION.INI* file, there are only like 4 add-ons, and SVCPACK.INF also tells us that.

I dunno ... :wacko: I confused by all this.

Differences in GOOD-svcpack.inf and latest-svcpack.inf (got by using notepad++)::

"XPize_Darkside_2_1_by_zedox.exe /S /norestore /nouxtheme /nomsxml3 /nooe /novs /noboot /notask /nocursors /nocmd /noskins"
IDNMITIGATIONAPIS.CAT
IE7.CAT
KB928090-IE7.CAT
KB935560-IE7.CAT
KB938127-IE7.CAT
KB950759-IE7.CAT
NLSDOWNLEVELMAPPING.CAT
; Customized by nLite - www.nliteos.com

This means WMP11 entries match.

-----------------------------------------

Oh, and this still kinda stands ... I think I should post it up ever update so people can actually know that I kinda-really need help -_- .

REQUEST for those who wish to make this a little easier on me ... --> I may continue to ask for some assistance since there are sooo many combinations to this problem ... So many possible problem-makers ... >.<;;

~~May someone download Drivermax (http://www.drivermax.com/ )

----Update the program

(no need to update drivers. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it if they work just fine. Reason being, even though my drivers updated and do in fact work fine: Drivermax was able to identify drivers with names --> update --> Drivermax identifies drivers as same BUT has a bunch of ??????????????????'s for them, so that means the name is skewed during update.)

------Export Drivers to a directory

-------Use nLite to integrate this directory (select ALL drivers please, so you/ I can get a test of video and sound and stuff)

What this will do:

~~Tells me that Drivermax driver backups ARE INDEED COMPATIBLE with nLite. This allows me to NOT have to TEST BOTH DRIVERPACKS & THE BACKUPS.

***Also, may someone integrate some themes via add-ons and use nLite's unattended to integrate the local themes? This might allow me to check if integrating themes via nLite and add-ons causes problems.

***Can someone try adding XPize Darkside as add-on via the SVCPACK method: http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t97530.html --> Tells me if Darkside is causing problems.

LAST_SESSION__205408.20_00.52.52_.INI

LAST_SESSION.INI

SVCPACK.INF

Edited by Happy-Dude

Personally I would just manually get all of the files you need from the manuafacturers websites.

Or use Siginets drivergrabber, it is much simpler and DOES grab the .infs and the drivers needed files....

Kel, thanks for the recommendation. I think I will compare what comes out, so I can tell if they're compatible ;) .

Found this post too: http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=279 --> recommends 2 different programs to use (I might consider 'em)

(Heya, in the meantime ... Since you are doing virtual tests, think you can test the Drivermax thing for me ... ? >.<;; )

!! Wow!! DriverGrabber and Drivermax backup .inf files MATCH !! Does this mean they ARE in fact compatible ?!?! (Yay !!)

--> Wait... not completely. Drivermax and Drivergrabber have nearly matching Display contents (almost, Drivermax containing 1 extra file, a .xml). DriverGrabber has more contents in Sound ... Same contents with network card with the exception of the .xml.

But, the .inf of both program matches. Soo ... nLite compatible ??

Edited by Happy-Dude

Just a note: Windefender-RUNONCE-ENG.exe (from your svcpack.inf) and ThreatFire-3.5.0.21 (from your last-session.ini) are more suited from RunOnce location.

Suggest you remove 2 programs out first for your testing.

Just a note: Windefender-RUNONCE-ENG.exe (from your svcpack.inf) and ThreatFire-3.5.0.21 (from your last-session.ini) are more suited from RunOnce location.

Suggest you remove 2 programs out first for your testing.

Thanks Geej for the heads up. But I think johndoe74 has that covered:: http://www.msfn.org/board/Release-ThreatFi...21-t119821.html + http://www.msfn.org/board/Release-Microsof...-v1-t85223.html --> I believe as long as I have unattended mode activated in nLite, these add-ons should install correctly ;) (I'm double checking with johndoe74 on this)

Now go find my addons as I am uploading them now tongue.gif

Thanks Kel. I already did so and am integrating/ in the process of integrating right now.

UPDATE::

What I am doing now:

--Confirmed that Drivermax backups are indeed compatible with nLite (the .inf files match other specific nLite backup packs)

--Will:

Slipstream SP3

Integrate system patches + .NET AIO via RVMi

Integrate ONLY theme add-ons + remove components + tweak + options + unattended + etc. etc. with nLite

Test with VirtualBox

**Hopefully, theme add-ons are compatible with nLite. Most are, but not sure if ALL are. --> if not, will try with RVMi (and I'll report back to Kel on whether or not his updated theme pack is indeed compatible with RVMi still)

**No integration of WMP11 --> Will do once this disk is confirmed working

What this means::

-This test will have absolutely NO program add-ons or drivers included (<--- Pretty sure they aren't causing problems)

-Test will check if I'm doing something wrong with my basic configuration and tweaks ...

Wish me luck!!

I will keep posting my progress. Right now ... I'm at RVMi stage ...

You know what? I used nLite to integrate all local themes, including the default XP + Classic styles.

To avoid a possible conflict, I'm not integrating those, since right now all the ones I have should be included by default + add-ons.

Edited by Happy-Dude

Two basic recommendations :

1. Don´t work on the desktop !

Especially the zipped addons exceed the 255-letter-limit easily.

Even if you´re logged in with adminrights, sometimes applications are not capable of using your desktoppath (depending on rightsmanagement).

2. Don´t use a VM, if you think, it´s a driverproblem !

VMs are just emulating the drivers.

They don´t really use the slipstreamed ones.

Several guys tested in VMs, ran into problems, but the real install was flawless.

So better use a spare testpartition.

Agi

Eddi T. says :

1.Working on the desktop is even worse in a VM, because the whole path to the VM is internally added to the pathname.

The rightsmanagement in VMs is also pretty weird and far from real (especially regarding desktop), as I found out while testing the last nliteCD.

2.As far as I remember (please correct me, if I´m wrong) QEMU was at least using the drivers, that were installed in the running host system.

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Two basic recommendations :

1. Don´t work on the desktop !

Especially the zipped addons exceed the 255-letter-limit easily.

Even if you´re logged in with adminrights, sometimes applications are not capable of using your desktoppath (depending on rightsmanagement).

2. Don´t use a VM, if you think, it´s a driverproblem !

VMs are just emulating the drivers.

They don´t really use the slipstreamed ones.

Several guys tested in VMs, ran into problems, but the real install was flawless.

So better use a spare testpartition.

Thanks, Agi.

So, I've moved my work onto the C:/ root.

I will not be integrating drivers in yet until I solve the problem. It turns out that the problem is most likely not driver related, since Drivermax backups do indeed have the correct .inf files.

Continuing from last night::

--Will:

Slipstream SP3

Integrate system patches + .NET AIO via RVMi

Integrate ONLY theme add-ons + remove components + tweak + options + unattended + etc. etc. with nLite

Test with VirtualBox

**Hopefully, theme add-ons are compatible with nLite. Most are, but not sure if ALL are. --> if not, will try with RVMi (and I'll report back to Kel on whether or not his updated theme pack is indeed compatible with RVMi still)

**No integration of WMP11 --> Will do once this disk is confirmed working

What this means::

-This test will have absolutely NO program add-ons or drivers included (<--- Pretty sure they aren't causing problems)

-Test will check if I'm doing something wrong with my basic configuration and tweaks ...

Wish me luck!!