Vista Business on a DOMAIN

stefshuuj

Hi everyone,

We have just put our first test Vista Business computer onto the domain.

To login to the domain we need tp type: domain\username followed by the password

Is there anyway to make it the same as Windows XP being:

username

password

domain

My users have enough problems remembering the username and password let alone have to type domain\username

Thanks in advance

Stephen

I have 4-5 Vista machines on our domain and Ive never had to enter the domain on the username line. i would look at your rsop.msc and see if theres anything in there that might affect the vista logon

I just Joined my laptop (been meaning to do it anyways) and i had to click "Switch User" then "Other User" on the logon screen but below the password it says "Log on to: DOMAINNAME"

"Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Network Access: Sharing and Security model for local accounts" set to Classic

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always use classic logon" set to Enabled

but neither one of those SHOULD have any effect but maybe they have some affect i didnt know about.

My users have enough problems remembering the username and password let alone have to type domain\username
This was the main reason, I believe, for introducing User Principal Names (UPNs): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243280

Users have an easier time remembering email addresses, so these can be added to their user accounts in AD to make their logon life easier - might be something worth looking into.

By default, a domain machine will log into the domain by default unless you use a well-known name that will exist locally (like "administrator"). You'll notice at the logon that it states "Log on to:<domain>" by default once a machine is joined to the domain, until someone tries to log on locally.

So by default, you shouldn't need to enter a domain at all, just a username and password. However, Mr Snrub is correct - the trend is to try and move people to using UPN logon names, as they're more universal (and easier for users to remember, long term - email versus domain\user).