iTunes without QuickTime

ajua

• 2 weeks later...
Does it mean that I can't use your version of itunes if I want to use my ipod/iphone?
No it mean you need to install "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" to have iTouch and iPhone supported. iPod can work without the AppleMobileDeviceSupport. Edited by eksasol

I need to know how to install iTunes switchless to another partition than C: ? Because C ist my system drive, I don't want to install any third party programs there (these go to partition F:).

I was finally able to do this. Here's how.

First you need winRAR or 7zip to fully extract the installer (I tested this with iTunes Switchless 8.2.1.6 English.exe). Use winRAR/7zip to extract the installer package to another folder (I used C:\temp\iTunesInstaller).

Next, drop to an admin command prompt and change to the directory you extracted the package to. If you type "DIR" in the command prompt, you should see this:

Directory of C:\temp\iTunesInstall
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> .
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> ..
2009-10-12 13:12 4,826,112 itunes.msi
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> Redist
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> Program Files
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> Application Data

Now execute the following line, substituting the iTunes folder and iPod folder to where you want them to be.

itunes.msi INSTALLDIR="D:\Apps\iTunes" IPODINSTALLDIR="D:\Apps\iPod" /qb /norestart

This doesn't work for me unless I also add the /qb and /norestart options!

After installation, there's still a tiny bit of apple contamination in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple but it's only 20MB worth.

-Bit.

Does it mean that I can't use your version of itunes if I want to use my ipod/iphone?
No it mean you need to install "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" to have iTouch and iPhone supported. iPod can work without the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.

Where to get the last version of it?

And if i underatand right so there is no point to install this version + apple mobile device support cuz the original version will be the same?

I was thinking to install this version to avoid too many services in windows.

No it mean you need to install "AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi" to have iTouch and iPhone supported. iPod can work without the AppleMobileDeviceSupport.

Where to get the last version of it?

And if i underatand right so there is no point to install this version + apple mobile device support cuz the original version will be the same?

I was thinking to install this version to avoid too many services in windows.

Well, my installers are customized to not run iTunes helper and the iPod service at startup, among other things.

Besides, without them, you would need to install the original QuickTime. If you use my installers, you can install QuickTime Alternative which is much much better.

If Mobile Device Support (remember that it is not needed for regular iPods, only iPhones/iTouchs) install services, you can set them to manual startup so they will be ran on-demand and not at every system startup. I don't know if it installs services, though.

Edited by ajua

• 2 weeks later...
If Mobile Device Support (remember that it is not needed for regular iPods, only iPhones/iTouchs) install services, you can set them to manual startup so they will be ran on-demand and not at every system startup. I don't know if it installs services, though.

Yes, it does install 1 service and while it can be set to Manual, it's not convenient if you have an iPhone and connect it to the computer on a regular basis. When iTunes starts it does NOT start the mobile service automatically like it starts the iPod service. It just complains that the iPhone cannot be managed because the mobile service is not running. So you'd have to start the service manually and then start iTunes or have some bat script that first starts the service and then iTunes. If you use an iPhone on a regular basis I don't think it's a big deal to have the mobile service running at all times or even install the full bloated version of iTunes. I started with QT Lite, iTunes Lite and the mobile services install, but I wish I just installed the full version instead and just disabled a couple of services or set them to Manual.

Needs more 64-bit.

ajua, are you working on the latest version? Remember to include at least Apple Application Support since iTunes simply won't work without it (hurray!).

Also, QT Alt 3.0.0 final has been released some time ago. The latest iTunes will NOT work with 2.9.2.

And before anyone asks, no, I have no idea how to actually do all this stuff.

You can extract my installer files and run itunes.msi TARGETDIR="F:\iTunes" to install it there or in another location.

How do you extract your installer? Using 7zip, I always get the error "can not open as archive"

I need to know how to install iTunes switchless to another partition than C: ? Because C ist my system drive, I don't want to install any third party programs there (these go to partition F:).

I was finally able to do this. Here's how.

First you need winRAR or 7zip to fully extract the installer (I tested this with iTunes Switchless 8.2.1.6 English.exe). Use winRAR/7zip to extract the installer package to another folder (I used C:\temp\iTunesInstaller).

Next, drop to an admin command prompt and change to the directory you extracted the package to. If you type "DIR" in the command prompt, you should see this:

Directory of C:\temp\iTunesInstall
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> .
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> ..
2009-10-12 13:12 4,826,112 itunes.msi
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> Redist
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> Program Files
2009-10-12 12:56 <DIR> Application Data

Now execute the following line, substituting the iTunes folder and iPod folder to where you want them to be.

itunes.msi INSTALLDIR="D:\Apps\iTunes" IPODINSTALLDIR="D:\Apps\iPod" /qb /norestart

This doesn't work for me unless I also add the /qb and /norestart options!

After installation, there's still a tiny bit of apple contamination in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple but it's only 20MB worth.

-Bit.

How were you able to extract itunes.msi from the switchless installer? 7zip didn't recognize it as an archive.

Yes, it does install 1 service and while it can be set to Manual, it's not convenient if you have an iPhone and connect it to the computer on a regular basis. When iTunes starts it does NOT start the mobile service automatically like it starts the iPod service. It just complains that the iPhone cannot be managed because the mobile service is not running. So you'd have to start the service manually and then start iTunes or have some bat script that first starts the service and then iTunes. If you use an iPhone on a regular basis I don't think it's a big deal to have the mobile service running at all times or even install the full bloated version of iTunes. I started with QT Lite, iTunes Lite and the mobile services install, but I wish I just installed the full version instead and just disabled a couple of services or set them to Manual.

I see your point, but I think that the majority of users have iPods and not iPhones. Having said that, you can sitill use my installer and install Mobile Device Support and set the service to manual to see if iTunes starts it.

How were you able to extract itunes.msi from the switchless installer? 7zip didn't recognize it as an archive.

Just browse the installer file with 7-Zip and right-click on it. Then select Open Inside and you should be able to see the contents of my file.

After that, you can extract the file(s) you want by drag&drop and using the Extract button.

I tested with 7-Zip 4.65, BTW.