iTunes without QuickTime

ajua

hey, i'm sorry, it works now. apparently it just needed a full restart, rather than admin log off/on. thanks a lot for bringing us itunes without quicktime :)

is it in any way possible to make itunes more leight-weight? it's so badly programmed that even clicking menus has huge delay because of who knows what it's doing. it just doesn't feel dynamic at all. is there any way to make it operate faster?

Edited by posix

• 3 weeks later...

I have created an install for itunes that does not install the Apple Mobile Device, Mobile Me, Apple Software Update, Quicktime and Bonjour. I will advise installing any version of quicktime you feel like using prior to installing itunes.

- extract the msi from the itunes installer

- open the itunes MSI in orca

- simply delete the 4 entries I have hightlighted under orca, hope it helps :)

ohh and thanks for the thread for the idea to remove the calls to install the packages :)

screenie attachted with highlighted entries

edit: had to upload it to rapidshare for a friend, anyway here is the linky for anyone who wants it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/158232328/iTun...nalone.msi.html

post-187396-1225165092_thumb.jpg

Edited by halcoboy

I've installed the one made by elajua and iTunes works fine, but there is no support for my iPhone.

iTunes starts with the message

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again"

I don't want to install bloatware iTunes :(

Can I just extract the Apple Mobile Device MSI from the iTunes downloaded from Apple's site and install it?

Edited by CKtalon

I've installed the one made by elajua and iTunes works fine, but there is no support for my iPhone.

iTunes starts with the message

"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install iTunes again"

I don't want to install bloatware iTunes :(

Can I just extract the Apple Mobile Device MSI from the iTunes downloaded from Apple's site and install it?

Yes, you can do that. It will install the stupid "Mobile Me" stuff though.

Hi !

Does anyone know if it's possible to get QuickTime 7.5 work on Windows XP Pro x64 SP1 ?

I need it to run iTunes 8, to use an iPhone ...

And I read somewhere that QuickTime, since 7.4, is not compatible with Windows SP1 (whatever version). The thing is I can install it, but can't run it ...

And it's the same with QTA or QTL ...

The thing is I can't install SP2 cause it makes everything crash !...

Please help me !

Thanks !

Edited by ben3d

• 3 weeks later...
With the new Itunes that you just uploaded, is it recommended to removed the previous version or can I just over-install.? I have the previous version.

TIA

You can try installing it over the one you have (provided it is one of my versions).

I always uninstall the previous version in order to test properly.

If you uninstall it, make sure you reboot before installing the new version.

Since I had your previous version, I just ran the installer and all is fine. I just had to rebuild my desktop shortcut.

On major updates, I will uninstall and reboot first.

Thank you.

You are welcome. I'ts good to know that overwriting previous installers works well.

• 4 weeks later...