Deleted DirectX and can't reinstall!

stormeagle6

Hello - recently I was having a lot of trouble with my video card. I have a new one now and it seems to be working fine, but in my struggles with dealing with my old one I stupidly removed DirectX from my xp system in the hope that I could fix problems by reinstalling it. Well, I followed the instructions here:

http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-...tall-directx-9/

I went to Regedit and deleted the directx folder. It says that my system will automatically reinstall DirectX 8.1 when I restart, but it didn't. I've tried with the XP cd inserted too. I also tried installing 8.1 from a game cd (Warcraft 3), and after accepting the ToS it instantly says DirectX was installed. No files or folders being copied or anything. It's clear that nothing was installed - a quick look at dxdiag says "no version found." (It used to say 9.0c there before I wiped it, of course).

After that I tried downloading 9.0c, but after I clicked install, the progress bar comes up for a few seconds, then an error window pops up that says "an internal system error occurred. Refer to dxerror.log and DirectX.log for more information." So I went to the dxerror.log file and this is what it says:

--------------------

[08/13/08 21:43:21] module: dxupdate(Mar 31 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 189, function: GetDXVersion

Failed API: RegQueryValueEx()

Error: (2) - The system cannot find the file specified.

Current DirectX may be a older version which does not have the version value in the registry.

--------------------

[08/13/08 21:43:21] module: dxupdate(Mar 31 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 4666, function: DirectXUpdateGetSetupInformation

GetDXVersion() failed.

--------------------

[08/13/08 21:43:21] module: dsetup32(Mar 31 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------

[08/13/08 21:43:21] module: dsetup32(Mar 31 2006), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

I can't figure out what to do at this point. Every which way I try to reinstall DirectX on my computer doesn't work. dxdiag still comes up with "no version found." Please help!

Your trying to install 8.1? Wouldn't a newer version of direct x? Just wondering

I use Microsoft's regcleaner that I got from my company and it works pretty good. Also I use CCleaner from CCleaner.com and delete unused registry entries from there.