Acer Aspire One: Changing The Operation System (Os) From Linux Lite To

acer aspire one: changing the operation system (OS) from linux lite to windows operation system?

hello i recently purchased an acer aspire one netbook that came with linux. Now i dont like it at all id prefer to have windows xp. and i know theres a version of this book with the same specs with windows xp. My question is how can i unistall the linux and put on windows tyvm please help me out

ps these are the netbooks that are from acer there is no disk drive.. so the only way of external installtion is through a flash usb drive

Edited by geek
11. Please refrain from using CAPITALIZATIONS in the topic title or when participating in threads because they will not attract attention - instead it will annoy many of MSFN's members.

PS THESE ARE THE NETBOOKS THAT ARE FROM ACER THERE IS NO DISK DRIVE.. SO THE ONLY WAY OF EXTERNAL INSTALLTION IS THROUGH A FLASH USB DRIVE
Or use a USB (external) CD drive!

You'll need to find all the XP drivers first then put them on a USB stick.

Then if you've got access to an external CD, just install as per normal. You can make do if you have an IDE external HDD then you can pull it apart and remove the HDD and plugin a CD-ROM drive (must also be IDE obviously - I assume the same applies to SATA drive/enclosure but I haven't checked).

If you don't have access to that, then you'll need a USB flash drive (or HDD should do it too). Have a google as there are numerous sets of instructions to install XP from flash drive online. There's probably already one here on msfn.org! Just have a search.

I had a similar issue with my ASUS EeePC when I first bought it, but I stuck with it and I've actually come to like Linux now. Its just different to Windows (ie what you're used to) and once you get your head around the different way of doing things, its not that bad. Although to be honest it was only through the active and supportive EeePC community that many of my questions got answered, which allowed me to persevere. And once I decided to give Linux a serious go I refused to give up. I'm not sure that the Acer Linux has the same support level and without it, it would be very hard for someone to stick with it.

Good luck with it! :)

PS THESE ARE THE NETBOOKS THAT ARE FROM ACER THERE IS NO DISK DRIVE.. SO THE ONLY WAY OF EXTERNAL INSTALLTION IS THROUGH A FLASH USB DRIVE
Or use a USB (external) CD drive!

You'll need to find all the XP drivers first then put them on a USB stick.

Then if you've got access to an external CD, just install as per normal. You can make do if you have an IDE external HDD then you can pull it apart and remove the HDD and plugin a CD-ROM drive (must also be IDE obviously - I assume the same applies to SATA drive/enclosure but I haven't checked).

If you don't have access to that, then you'll need a USB flash drive (or HDD should do it too). Have a google as there are numerous sets of instructions to install XP from flash drive online. There's probably already one here on msfn.org! Just have a search.

I had a similar issue with my ASUS EeePC when I first bought it, but I stuck with it and I've actually come to like Linux now. Its just different to Windows (ie what you're used to) and once you get your head around the different way of doing things, its not that bad. Although to be honest it was only through the active and supportive EeePC community that many of my questions got answered, which allowed me to persevere. And once I decided to give Linux a serious go I refused to give up. I'm not sure that the Acer Linux has the same support level and without it, it would be very hard for someone to stick with it.

Good luck with it! :)

okay so i have a version of windows called WINDOWS XP PE (performance edition) and also have the nec. drivers for xp. Now the iso is only 178MB's so is it possble for it to be put on a cd? and i can get an external cd drive and brun the disc and boot it via f2 boot menu external drive correct?

Sounds more like Pirate Edition to me (genuine Windows PE = Pre-install Environment, similar to BartPE, nothing like a normal install disk), but I'll ignore that for now... :whistle:

An iso should burn to CD as long as it is below 700MB (or 650MB depending on the size of the CD). Your favourite burning app should have no problems with it.

As for booting from your USB CD using f2, without being familiar with Acer BIOS I would assume yes! If it doesn't work then you may need to play around in BIOS.

Good luck!

Edited by JedMeister

Sounds more like Pirate Edition to me (genuine Windows PE = Pre-install Environment, similar to BartPE, nothing like a normal install disk), but I'll ignore that for now... :whistle:

An iso should burn to CD as long as it is below 700MB (or 650MB depending on the size of the CD). Your favourite burning app should have no problems with it.

As for booting from your USB CD using f2, without being familiar with Acer BIOS I would assume yes! If it doesn't work then you may need to play around in BIOS.

Good luck!

i used the bart pe thing and tried that method and it didnt work gave me a boot partition error or something

so what did i do? i did the same thng but formated the usb drive into a NTFS and guess what i was so happy that it didnt gve me that error.. this time it booted up in linux again -_- when itried to examine the drive in linux it said cannot unmounted blah blah

lmao at the first line lmao. but anyway yea i need help idk whats wrong.

You'll need to use a USB CD/DVD drive and a genuine copy of Windows XP to install from. It should be as simple as putting the disc in the drive and then booting from it (should be an option in BIOS).

Otherwise, check out the Install XP from USB forum we have here on MSFN.

By the way - further discussion about downloaded ISOs or using illegal copies of Windows stops here. If this continues, the thread will be closed without further warning.

You'll need to use a USB CD/DVD drive and a genuine copy of Windows XP to install from. It should be as simple as putting the disc in the drive and then booting from it (should be an option in BIOS).

Otherwise, check out the Install XP from USB forum we have here on MSFN.

By the way - further discussion about downloaded ISOs or using illegal copies of Windows stops here. If this continues, the thread will be closed without further warning.

hey i got the cd-rw extenral usb drive. now im runnin into problems. i installed the drivers on my windows home computer and i had to obviously to use it.

I tried installin the drivers on my linux and it didnt work...

i downloaded wine and i still had problems..

and i put the cd disk in there and t shows its on and connected.. but linux doesnt seem to show it as being plugged in.. so i said any who.. i went to bios setting.. and change usb- cdrom to boot first in sequence.. and i saved and restarted... it didnt bot from there and still booted in linux mode... and then i went back to boot menu and put everything over booting from the ssd drive and it still didnt b oot from the cd-rw and ended up booting from the ssd drive.

i am able to use it with my windows xp home computer so i know it works.. but i need to get it set for my linux so i can install what i need.

id appreciate some help.

hey i got the cd-rw extenral usb drive. now im runnin into problems. i installed the drivers on my windows home computer and i had to obviously to use it....

....i am able to use it with my windows xp home computer so i know it works.. but i need to get it set for my linux so i can install what i need....

You said that you needed to install drivers before it worked? I am assuming that is with XP? If so that would concern me. When you say that it works on your Windows PC did you actually test to see if it will boot from it? Getting it to work in Linux (or within Windows even) is irrelevant as booting from it will happen before it loads any OS. It is reliant on your BIOS rather than any OS. If it won't boot from it on your Windows box can you please tell us the message that you get, or if it just ignores it etc?

... i dnt think so ts an a110 netbook btw

Could you please try removing all other boot options (as suggested by Zxian) and see if that changes anything? Does it give any error message or simply ignore the drive? Does BIOS recognise the CD-RW drive? Perhaps also try any other USB boot BIOS options as well.

hey i got the cd-rw extenral usb drive. now im runnin into problems. i installed the drivers on my windows home computer and i had to obviously to use it....

....i am able to use it with my windows xp home computer so i know it works.. but i need to get it set for my linux so i can install what i need....

You said that you needed to install drivers before it worked? I am assuming that is with XP? If so that would concern me. When you say that it works on your Windows PC did you actually test to see if it will boot from it? Getting it to work in Linux (or within Windows even) is irrelevant as booting from it will happen before it loads any OS. It is reliant on your BIOS rather than any OS. If it won't boot from it on your Windows box can you please tell us the message that you get, or if it just ignores it etc?

... i dnt think so ts an a110 netbook btw

Could you please try removing all other boot options (as suggested by Zxian) and see if that changes anything? Does it give any error message or simply ignore the drive? Does BIOS recognise the CD-RW drive? Perhaps also try any other USB boot BIOS options as well.

i dont believe it recongnizes it on the boot menu because it just says usb-cdrom: and blank it should say the make of the drive or w/e.

my bios version of the AOA-110 is v0.3190and it doesnt give me the option to disable any ones.

now on my desktop it is blank under usb-cdrom like on my netbook

and its in the excluded boot item list.. and theres no list to get it put into the main line up so i have no way of testing if it actually works from boot. But it does work once in the OS but it doesnt even work in Linux at all

I'm sorry mate, but it seems to me that for some reason it is not being recognised by your Acer. Any recent version of Linux should recognise it. Perhaps for some reason this drive is not compatible or there is something wrong with it.

Have you confirmed that you can boot from the Win XP CD you have? First just try it in a normal CD drive on another PC, then with the USB-CDROM.

Maybe you could try the USB stick route? If you have a USB stick (or HDD) try to see if you can get it to boot from that (you may need to format it first - have a read here: http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

I can think of anything else that may be able to help you. Time for some on site tech support mabe? Perhaps you can take it to a local PC shop and see if they can help with it?

I'm sorry mate, but it seems to me that for some reason it is not being recognised by your Acer. Any recent version of Linux should recognise it. Perhaps for some reason this drive is not compatible or there is something wrong with it.

Have you confirmed that you can boot from the Win XP CD you have? First just try it in a normal CD drive on another PC, then with the USB-CDROM.

Maybe you could try the USB stick route? If you have a USB stick (or HDD) try to see if you can get it to boot from that (you may need to format it first - have a read here: http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

I can think of anything else that may be able to help you. Time for some on site tech support mabe? Perhaps you can take it to a local PC shop and see if they can help with it?

yup i think its the drive because it doesnt seem to be supported by linux just windows.. and the cd yea i tried it and installed it on my little bro and sis computer it works good except for so sm bus s***.. (what exactly is that) is it important cause i cant find the updated sm bus drivers for the controller

but anyway besides that bus stuff it works just fine no probs and runs real smooth.

so yea i think imma do the usb flash drive method

oh yea would a kingston data traveler usb flash drive (1gb) be okay for the method above?

Edited by sprinkster

I would guess so but you won't know until you try. Format the USB using one of the methods from the link I suggested (my personal suggestion would be method 2). Then make sure it boots ok before you bother going to the effort of making an XP instalation (if you can't get the USB to boot no point putting XP on it!) You could just use the USB after formatting and putting the boot sector on, but I prefer to put something like Memtest86+ on it so you can be 100% sure it all works well. Memtest86+ can be found here: http://www.memtest.org/ and there is a bootable USB image that you can download and put on your USB. Then reboot and run Memtest to make sure its all sweet, then put XP on it and install, Also don't forget to get all your drivers for XP (at least get your ethernet driver so you can connect to the net and get the rest!) Good luck!