Acer Aspire One: Changing The Operation System (Os) From Linux Lite To

I would guess so but you won't know until you try. Format the USB using one of the methods from the link I suggested (my personal suggestion would be method 2). Then make sure it boots ok before you bother going to the effort of making an XP instalation (if you can't get the USB to boot no point putting XP on it!) You could just use the USB after formatting and putting the boot sector on, but I prefer to put something like Memtest86+ on it so you can be 100% sure it all works well. Memtest86+ can be found here: http://www.memtest.org/ and there is a bootable USB image that you can download and put on your USB. Then reboot and run Memtest to make sure its all sweet, then put XP on it and install, Also don't forget to get all your drivers for XP (at least get your ethernet driver so you can connect to the net and get the rest!) Good luck!

so i listend to what u said i got the flash drive now.. and igot al the tools downloaded.. but in what order do i do the steps u gave me.. i even downloaded the memtest iso but do i need to use a blank cd and put it on it and do that??

i installed the two tools from method two.. and used all the recommend options and now i got some wierd files on my flash drive so now what do i do.

filesonusb.jpg

ao now what do i do.. like i said i got the mem test iso which is like 1.756 KB's and i got the working windows xp iso on a disk already... so im waitin on the next step.. i noticed the site u gave me didnt give me the alternative setup instructions for the different methods.

Edited by sprinkster

so i listend to what u said i got the flash drive now.. and igot al the tools downloaded.. but in what order do i do the steps u gave me.. i even downloaded the memtest iso but do i need to use a blank cd and put it on it and do that??

i installed the two tools from method two.. and used all the recommend options and now i got some wierd files on my flash drive so now what do i do.

ao now what do i do.. like i said i got the mem test iso which is like 1.756 KB's and i got the working windows xp iso on a disk already... so im waitin on the next step.. i noticed the site u gave me didnt give me the alternative setup instructions for the different methods.

There is a specific version of Memtest for USB but it requires DOS and you already have Syslinux setup on your USB. The way your stick is setup you could download the bootable Memtest binary and edit the syslinux file to boot it.....but I don't think we need bother. The point of the exercise was not to get Memtest working but to ensure you can boot from your USB prior to any further work. In retrospect I probably should've given you some more specific instructions. I was giving you advice from memory (quite a long time since I last did it) and was a little vague. If you are interested I can provide info to help you setup a USB with Memtest on it but lets get back to the issue here....

Test your USB to make sure it boots ok. I'm not 100% clear on what your USB is setup to do, but assuming you got to where you are following my advice, I'm pretty sure that it should boot and get you to some sort of terminal prompt (sort of like a DOS environment). Try booting to it and see what happens. If this works then you know that your system is successfully booting from the USB. If it has errors post here and hopefully I'll be able to help you.

Once you have confirmed that your USB boots ok then you will have to set it up so you can install windows from it. There is tons of info have a read over here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-USB-f157.html

Make sure you read and search for info before posting though. No one will mind clarifying information if it is clear you are trying but don't understand something. People will get annoyed if it looks like you haven't tried to help yourself.

Let me know how you go getting your USB to boot and good luck doing the next step with XP. :thumbup

There is a specific version of Memtest for USB but it requires DOS and you already have Syslinux setup on your USB. The way your stick is setup you could download the bootable Memtest binary and edit the syslinux file to boot it.....but I don't think we need bother. The point of the exercise was not to get Memtest working but to ensure you can boot from your USB prior to any further work. In retrospect I probably should've given you some more specific instructions. I was giving you advice from memory (quite a long time since I last did it) and was a little vague. If you are interested I can provide info to help you setup a USB with Memtest on it but lets get back to the issue here....

Test your USB to make sure it boots ok. I'm not 100% clear on what your USB is setup to do, but assuming you got to where you are following my advice, I'm pretty sure that it should boot and get you to some sort of terminal prompt (sort of like a DOS environment). Try booting to it and see what happens. If this works then you know that your system is successfully booting from the USB. If it has errors post here and hopefully I'll be able to help you.

Once you have confirmed that your USB boots ok then you will have to set it up so you can install windows from it. There is tons of info have a read over here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-USB-f157.html

Make sure you read and search for info before posting though. No one will mind clarifying information if it is clear you are trying but don't understand something. People will get annoyed if it looks like you haven't tried to help yourself.

Let me know how you go getting your USB to boot and good luck doing the next step with XP. :thumbup

i will sayi apologize.. if u think im being lazy.. i actually prefer not to ask for help.. and i feel bad cause i dont want u thinking i havent search.. i have and alot of the terms and way people are doin it show lack of descriptons and how to exactly do it...

which is why i been releying on your help as u take the time out to help me which i appreciate a whole lot..

now i got it to boot to the dos like stage u talked about :)

now im waiting to figure out how do i boot the install now

im assuming since i got it into that stage my UFD is consider A usb key correct?

so what do i type in the dos like thing to get it starting to install a copy of the same windows cd i used on my lliving computer.. im so close i can smell it... i really can smelll.. i need u to help me close this out.

Now that you have confirmed that you can boot from your USB then you are ready to put the windows install files onto it.

I have never done this before so I can't help you with this part. I only know that its possible but I have only ever installed from CDROM or USB-CDROM.

In the subforum I directed you have a look at the FAQ http://www.msfn.org/board/FAQs-t116766.html. Right at the top is a link to a guide on how to do it with screenshots. Have a read and see how you go. I would advise making a new post in that subforum if you have problems or questions. I don't have the knowledge so I won't be able to help you with this.

Good luck

Edited by JedMeister