Running Windows XP 32bit on a 64bit system

dosworld

I recently purchased a Dual Opteron server to play around with, but will be unable to purchase a license for Win XP x64 for a few weeks (Till i get paid)

Is it possible to install a 32 bit version of windows xp temporarily?? will both processors be recognized?

also, I know that windows xp (32 bit) only recognizes 3 gbs of memory, but will i need to remove the rest of the memory that exceeds the limit? or can i leave it and it just not be utilized.

Thanks

Vinny

As far as 32bit XP goes, your main concerns are going to be whether or not XP likes the HDDC and/or there is an XPx86 driver to F6 for it. Also, finding drivers might be an issue depending on what motherboard is in there.

Also, you do not need to remove the other RAM. XP will only see about 3.2GB of it (more or less depending on VRAM setting in BIOS and how it handles that) but it just ignores anything higher.

EDIT: sorry read DUAL = DELL... and forgot what Opteron was.

Edited by Tripredacus

I am assuming that HDDC is the scsi adapter??

Thx

Vinny

HDDC = Hard Disk Drive Controller. Or Hard Drive Controller. Basically the part of the motherboard or if you use a card that your hard drive connects to. XP needs to have the drivers for that in order to format the drive. If you have a SCSI hard drive, then yes.

Won't he need XP Pro to see both CPU's?

XP will see both CPUs. I think SP1 is required for that (hyper-threading support) but XP sees HT and dualies as the same thing. Either way RTM will only see 1 CPU (or 1 core) and still work anyways.

Won't he need XP Pro to see both CPU's?

XP will see both CPUs. I think SP1 is required for that (hyper-threading support) but XP sees HT and dualies as the same thing. Either way RTM will only see 1 CPU (or 1 core) and still work anyways.

It's my understanding that XP Home will work with Dualcores/1 CPU but not 2 physical CPU's. For 2 physical CPU's XP Pro is necessary.