RuneOnceEx.cmd vs runonceex.inf

So I will be a little honest here. I've just recently started looking into the unattended windows installation, and sometimes feel a little overwhelmed. ^^ But I'm getting there. I'm at the 'Intermediate' level. Well, for the most part at least. LoL!

Basically, my question is, what is the difference between the two for software/update installation? I mean. They both do the same thing basically, at least as far as I can tell. One issue that I have with the *.inf is that I can't seem to locate the %number% for %systemdrive% and it seems that most of the posts in the forum are geared towards the *.cmd type of installation.

Just looking for a little guidance, as I am still playing with it. =D

Also... On a side note, once I have my iso created, and I wanna make changes to it; can I just work directly with the iso using winrar or something instead of having to repackage the whole thing, and create the iso again? Like I said, I'm still playing with all this, and if I could cut that out of the whole process, it'd save me about 20 minutes, and I can get back to my virtual machine with the reload. LoL! Anywho... TIA for any replies! FRIDAY!!!!

And repacking? The whole point as i see it, is to not do any repacking, only creating new iso file of directory and burn it to install windows. Which is the beauty of it.

repacking = recreating that better?

after i make a change (adding/removing software, things like that) to my xp build, i have to recreate the cd using the "CD Image GUI" (which works like a champ, love that!) and instead of buring the iso, i'm testing it by using a virtual machine, and booting off of that iso and reloading windows.

as far as the reading... =**[ i've been on http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/1/ for like three days now, going back, and rereading. i seriously think i am missing something with the *.inf and the *.cmd but not sure what... lol

Well i just read through from basic to intermediate to advanced and spent a couple of hours in total, writing down things as i went along. I was hoping the guide would go in more detail on runonceex but it doesnt =(

I suggest some reference material reading which you should find on the same site.

There's no difference to the end-result, but the difference is that inf-files are more powerfull, with built-in support for things like DirId's, reg-entry operations, file-copy operations and no flashing cmd windows etc...

I would recommend the following tutorial by Gosh: Inf files explained.

Also, i wouldn't recommend using ISO editing tools, but instead make a batchfile which remakes the ISO...

Edited by Martin H