[SOLVED] Switch to x64 for HD video editing ?

We just buyed 5 x Canon HF-100 HD (SDHC) cameras to record live music performances.

Our compositing machine (A64 3700+ / 2 x 1 Gb d.c. DDR400 / 2 x 500 Gb RAID0-SATA) seems too slow for 85 MBps (5 x Full HD 1920 x 1080 / 17 MBps) multicamera edit.

According to Sony (that manufacture Vegas, the editing software we adopted):

"HD content production workflows really push 32-bit computing platforms to the limit. Many performance barriers are removed when you combine the 64-bit Vista operating system, native 64-bit software and 64-bit hardware technologies from processor providers like AMD," stated Dave Hill, vice president of technology for Sony Creative Software. "A software-only solution like Vegas is perfectly positioned to take advantage of the increased memory and threading capabilities available in the 64-bit world. Technology such as the AMD64 computing platform will dramatically enhance our software's capability to more quickly and reliably help the user deliver every type of project—from simple corporate productions to the most demanding HD feature-length productions."

"AMD64 is the artist's computing platform, Vista Ultimate is the artist's operating system and Sony Vegas software is the most intuitive and artist-friendly NLE software available," said Charlie Boswell, director of Digital Media and Entertainment for AMD. "64-bit Vegas on Vista and AMD64 computing platforms promises to obliterate previous limitations and allow artists to create at the speed of thought."

So the question is: do you think that just a switch to Windows XP x64 SP2 could help us ? Or do we need to upgrade our machine (with an x2, for example) ?

Edited by patchworks

I second the hardware upgrade, processing HD asks a lot out of a system. After that if you're thinking about going to a 64 bit OS, I would go with 64 bit Vista as XP Pro x64 isn't supported as well for drivers. x64 kind of got left out in the cold. I'd be running it now but there is lack of driver support for some of the hardware I use, something to keep in mind. Which version of Vegas are you using? I think Sony is releasing a 64 bit version next year, but I may be mistaken.

• 1 month later...

Seems that Sony released the 1st x64 version of Vegas:

Now available! Vegas Pro 8.1 64-bit software is designed to maximize the capabilities of a 64-bit system providing faster performance, decreased rendering times, and more memory access.

Benefits of Vegas Pro 8.1 software

• Vegas Pro 8.1 software has been designed to maximize the capabilities of the 64-bit system, providing:
    • Access to large amounts of memory not possible with 32-bit systems
    • Scalability for multicore processors
    • Faster overall performance and rendering :rolleyes:

[*] Vegas Pro 8.1 provides current users with more memory access which enables:

• Working with complex memory-hungry 3D projects
    • Working with nested Vegas Pro projects
    • Running multiple instances of Vegas Pro software
    • More open
      • Codecs
      • Filters and Effects
      • Cached Frames for Ram Previews

[*] Features both improved rendering times and general performance optimizations :thumbup

Additional System Requirements

In addition to the system requirements for Vegas Pro 8 software, Vegas Pro 8.1 software requires Microsoft® Windows® Vista™ 64, and 64 bit architecture and hardware components. :angry:

• 3 months later...

Well, according to this DVXuser.com's forum 3ad seems that someone got Vegas to work on XP64:

I use it nearly every day. However, I don't know that Vegas 8.1 on XP64bit is a supported config. I don't care. Works for me.

EDIT: an interesting 32bit vs WoW64 vs 64bit Vegas rendering test.

Edited by patchworks

I second the hardware upgrade, processing HD asks a lot out of a system. After that if you're thinking about going to a 64 bit OS, I would go with 64 bit Vista as XP Pro x64 isn't supported as well for drivers. x64 kind of got left out in the cold. I'd be running it now but there is lack of driver support for some of the hardware I use, something to keep in mind. Which version of Vegas are you using? I think Sony is releasing a 64 bit version next year, but I may be mistaken.

XP Pro x64 is supported just fine for drivers these days. All decent manufacturers port their Vista x64 to XP x64 as well. (It makes no sense to have Vegas or Windows 7 x86_64 drivers and don't compile the XP version for them..)

I'd go with XP Pro x64 Edition, fastest workstation/rendering OS on the market today, hands down.

See also: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1333802