Password Protect Network Shares

joe43wv

Hey gang,

I have a question. My supervisor is wanting me to find an app. that will prompt users for a password when they access certain network shared folders. The folders are shared out on the network at the server, and will be accessed at the workstations. The servers are running Server 2003 and the workstations are running Windows XP Pro. Any ideas on what will help work? I've tested a couple of apps. and no luck. Any help would be apprecaited.

Thanks!

Ya I've looked into it. The only thing is, I have the share folder reading off the user's ID, then once in the share they have full access to all the folders, I'd like to set it up, that once in the share, they have to have a password to open the folders inside the share. Any ideas?

The reason I'm asking this question is, I work in a hospital, and as you all know patient info. is VERY confidential, we have a VPN setup with a doctor's office across down, and are saving some of the info. in these folders and sending them across the VPN, the folders inside the share are named by the patient name, and once you open the folder there's all the patients documents. The reason we are wanting a password on each folder is so the doctors will be able to access this info. on designated devices throughout the hospital and not just anybody can walk up and open a folder and read the info. inside. Does that make any sense?