Extracting the black logonui.exe from Darkside & more

SamusAran

Hello,

probably, this has been asked a few times by now, but I have been searching this forum for over an hour now without sufficient results.

I am using XPize with the black version of the Luna Royale theme. I am very happy with it, I just want to change the logon screen and the boot screen to fit the black style as well.

I used the Darkside theme for a while and it had exactly the black logon screen in it, that I am looking for. Now my question is: How can I extract the logonui.exe from the Darkside installer?

Also, I would like to redo the beautiful stock Luna Royale boot screen to fit the black style. How can this be done? So far, I am hunting down the Resource Hacker track in that matter... Or is there already a black version around?

I hope, nobody feels offended or that I am not violating any copyrights, when I am trying to combine Luna Royale with Darkside. I really appreciate both works a lot but still have my own taste...

Thanks for your time and patience,

Martin

Edited by SamusAran

Update: Just realised, I am looking for the Darkside-style "Welcome"- and "Windows turning off"-screens as well.

How to get those?

Update2: And the selection, if to power off or hibernate your computer / changing users is still blue as well.

And thanks very much for the quick reply, Kelsenellenelvian!

Edited by SamusAran

The logonui.exe found under your link above doesnt work for me... maybe because I am still running SP2?

EDIT This is what I did: I renamed the logonui.ex_ found under your link into logonui.exE and put it under .../system32. Apparently, everytime I sign off, it gets overwritten with the old version.

Where can I get Darkside-style shell32.dll and msgina.dll? I am only having them as decompiled folders (darkside21.exe -> 7zip)...

Edited by SamusAran

Oh der They were updated for SP3.

OK you need to do a virtual install using virtual pc, vmware, virtualbox or parallels.

Then install the XPIze darkside and after rebooting the virtual machine glean the files you need out.

Alternatively just run the installer and select only those 3 files for patching in you current system.

P.s. LogonUI.ex_ Means it is a compressed cab file you can't simply rename it and expect it to work. 7zip CAN however decompress it..

Then you need an app like replacer to properly replace the files on a system with windows file protection turned on.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Great. Worked very well and easy by just patching the files with the Darkside installer, that I wanted.

Is there an as easy way to include this kind of half-and-half style into a custom WinXP installer created with nLite without ending up with an installation of both, Xpize and Xpize Darkside?

Now I am still looking for a matching boot screen.

Because I really like the black version of Luna Royale as it is.

And I really appreciate your work, zedox, when it comes to the blackened elements from Darkside, that black Luna Royale still left blue (logon screen, sign off screen, etc.).

I just have to find a black version of the Luna Royale boot screen. Or make one myself.

What would be the difference for me though, if I installed XPize Darkside and installed just Luna Royale over it? Mind please, that I have a Core Duo CPU and the Darkside bootscreen does not work.

Edited by SamusAran

• 3 months later...