Problems integrating Sil 3112 Raid Driver...

Ikky_Phoenix

I see you have two Silicon Image drivers installed; that can cause trouble if certain file names are the same. For testing you may get rid of the other one.

Also there are subfolders in your driver package. Personally I would "flatten" the driver: delete the IA64 folder; merge the contents of ext64 in the root and adjust oemsetup.sif accordingly.

For real analysis of the problem you need to look in DOSNET.inf and TXTSETUP.sif and see if all the right files are present and get copied in either textmode or guimode.

This is difficult to spell out; you might look at what happens with a simple integration that works such as forthe Intel AHCI/RAID drivers.

• 1 year later...

hi,

im mostly a reader not a poster but after more than a day ive given up solving this problem on my own. as winxp is becoming obsolete i can only hope that someone would take a look at the files attached and tell me what am i missing...

i have a similar problem as above: windows xp x64 pro + sp2 slipstreamed + x64 silicon image sii3512r driver.

ive used the same nlite config and the 32bit drivers on windows xp x86 before without problems, but even the newest x64 drivers are quite old (2007).

i tried to modify txtsetup.oem and si3112r.inf based on the 32bit driver files but i guess i missed something. my "expertise" doesnt go beyond the evident: ive cleared up the ia64 sections, corrected the paths to have txtsetup.oem in the same directory as the other files and as a last resort even tried to replace the "dll =" line with "inf =" as ive read somewhere. still no banana.

1. windows xp x64 vanilla + f6 method: everything ok

2. my nlite config without the driver added (f6 - floppy method), tried with the latest and two earlier drivers (the older ones also contain the ia64 directory): "setup could not determine mass storage device" - specify - choose (x64/itanium) - shows the device - setup loads drivers - windows starting up - (formatting etc) - "setup cannot copy the file si3112r.sys"

3. my nlite config + the latest driver included (and only the sii driver): "setup did not find any hdds"

4. modified txtsetup.oem and si3112r.inf: same as above.

i dont have oemsetup.sif, i have txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif: the first is way beyond my understanding and the latter i dont think that has anything to do with this problem.

ill try to link the latest original driver, the badly modified one, the session.ini, dosnet.inf and oemsetup.sif.

i really do hope someone could take a look at them and come up with a solution, i cant go back to use vanilla windows for multiple reasons.

sorry if its long, ive decided on giving as much data as possible even if its partly redundant to facilitate finding a soluton.

thanks in advance,

g

original newest driver

modified newest driver

dosnet.inf

session.inf

txtsetup.inf

Edited by galocza

thanks for your reply,

no, this config with winxp 32bit and the 32bit drivers worked fine. i suspect the problem is with the driver package.

i dont expect too much from this but ill try it anyway: a totally basic nlite setup with only the driver added.

thanks for the tip, and i thought i tried anything i could 8)

g

galocza, I am not sure what you are saying. What happens when, using the DLed (unmodified original SI) driver, you place the txtsetup.oem into the ext64 folder and point nLite to the .inf in the ext64 folder? I obviously do not understand why you are modifying files. Please give me some more detail. Enjoy, John.

Well the thing is until you try a disk with just the driver integrated, we can't be sure it's the problem and hence we could be spending all our time barking up the wrong tree.

Also I've had cases where I've loaded Last_Session.ini files posted by others and they prove to be a disaster (BSOD on install), but they work if I enter the values manually.

P.S. I'll be out of contact for the next couple of days.

thanks for your replies, ive created a few more setups which answer your questions above but unfortunately raises a few more...

5. nlite 2-button + f6 (original driver pack): ok

6. nlite 2-button + f6 (modified driver pack): ok

7. nlite 3-button + original driver integration: "setup did not find any hdds" error

8. nlite 3-button + modified driver integration: "setup did not find any hdds" error

9. nlite old config (winxp x86) + original driver, txtsetup.oem copied together with the other files (as johnhc suggested): "setup did not find any hdds" error

2-button: ive only selected sp slipstreaming and iso making in main nlite menu.

3-button: ive only selected sp slipstreaming driver integration and iso making in main nlite menu (and added only this driver).

there are a few conclusions:

-driver integration NEVER works

-f6 only works with winxp vanilla and nlite "vanilla"

-modified files work (at least as much as the originals)

if you dont have a better any idea the best i can think of is hunting down the setting which prevents nlite to integrate this driver properly. im not that happy about the thought of it - the last time i did this it took a weekend:

Digital Camera USB Dilemma

now i cant think anymore and its almost midnight - i have to go to sleep if i dont want to poison anyone...

thanks,

g

Edited by galocza

galocza, we know that using OEM Preinstall will cause inclusion of text mode drivers via F6 to fail when using nLite. Please see the Help (? in a circle) next to the OEM Preinstall option in the Unattended section - General tab. I still need you to answer the questions in my last reply. Have fun, John.

thanks for your reply,

i forgot about the f6 thingy. the truth is i used the same nlite config for 4 years (as i had the same computer this long) and only edited the drivers part when i needed to install a new os - about three times. thanks for pointing this out.

about former questions: i did as you suggested, its number 9. as for the why: BikinDutchman suggested "flattening" the driver earlier in this topic (but i think i read elsewhere too that drivers in subdirs - bad idea). i edited the files because they contained path information and i wasnt sure that nlite can handle the package if these point to wrong places.

cheers,

g

galocza, I am suspicious of using an x86 Last Session.ini on an x64 system. I use x64 and know nLite offers different options than it does to x86. I am not sure what to suggest yet, but I would like to see the Last Session for the 9 above. I would also like to see a Windows Explorer screen shot of the AMD64\NLDRV\001 folder in your source folder after running nLite. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I think Kurt_Aust is on to something along with using an x86 Last Session on an x64 system. I suggest you try starting from scratch (including a fresh copy of your CD files/folders) with a printed copy of your original Last Session. Go through all the Tasks/Options and select all the ones presented on your x64 system. Integrate only the SI driver - the unmodified one with only moving the txtsetup.oem folder into the ext64 folder. Please let us know if you fail to find any items in your original Last Session on your x64 system and please let us know the results.

Edited by johnhc

thanks for your reply.

i will attach the session.ini and the screenshot you asked for (i need to recreate the image as i deleted it along with old session.inis) but im not sure that theres a way to fix this as a clean nlite config with only the driver added also fails to install. see below.

yesterday i created 10 image files. the first 6 had sp slipstreaming, driver integration and iso creation enabled + different combinations of the other options from the main menu (components, options, tweaks).

but i got suspicious: i was asking the wrong question. instead of asking what was wrong is should have asked that could there be anything right.

so my next 3 images were made with absolutely no modification, made from scratch, the only options selected were driver integration (only the sii raid driver of course) and iso creation. the difference was in the driver package: the ususal original/flattened/modified three.

all failed.

so the tenth was created with my old session.ini with everything i wanted but without this driver (but all other drivers added), oem preinstall unchecked and i just installed this setup without problems with the f6 method (btw modified drivers). not happy but at least there will be a system i can use.

so i guess nlite and this specific driver dont like each other - as i never encountered similar problems i guess something is wrong with the driver description files. or i dont know. something.

so altough im diappointed that i couldnt get to the bottom of this, unless you guys come up with some great idea i give up...

Last_Session__2009.12.29_23.22.14_.ini

post-58943-1262126100_thumb.png