Task Scheduler always crashes when I try to load it. Help.

pengo

Whenever I try and load the task scheduler, it always results in there being an error in the snapin and vista shuts it down.

I'm running all the latest drivers and updates for Vista. My system is not overclocked at all.

Any ideas?

Vista = SP1 64Bit Home Premium.

The actual error is as follows:

Exception Type:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException

Stack Trace:

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(RuntimeType type, Boolean publicOnly, Boolean noCheck, Boolean& canBeCached, RuntimeMethodHandle& ctor, Boolean& bNeedSecurityCheck)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean fillCache)

at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(Boolean publicOnly, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks, Boolean fillCache)

at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.FormView.InternalInitialize()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.HandleInitializationRequest(IRequestStatus requestStatus)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.View.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.ViewMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

I'd try deleting C:\Users\Your_User_Name_Here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MMC\taskschd first (or just rename it).

It could be a COM+ permission problem i.e. a registry (or file) ACL problem (seen that before), but that's kind of tricky to guide someone else into fixing :( Especially when you can't just guess what exactly is failing. Personally, I'd try running Process Monitor to find out what's going on when you load it (maybe you can zip up a capture of it, upload it on rapidshare or whatever, and post a link to that here?)

Ok will give it a shot, fyi this is a couple day old fresh install of Vista.

Deleted that file (can always restore it from the recycle bin ;) ). Problem still occurs, where do I run process monitor from? Typing it into the search box displays nothing.

Edited by pengo

Ok so what exactly do you want from process monitor? There is a lot of processes... What process should I be looking for? mmc.exe?

Nonetheless, I've run a filter to display only mmc.exe.. There is a lot of data and I have no idea what I should be looking for.

Just scrolling thru there is a lot of "NAME NOT FOUND", "FAST IO DISALLOWED" in the results column...

Edited by pengo

Ok so what exactly do you want from process monitor? There is a lot of processes... What process should I be looking for? mmc.exe?

Yes, mmc.exe is what we're interested into.

What you should be looking for? Errors in general, and more specifically those associated with ACL problems e.g. result being "ACCESS DENIED". Things like "FAST IO DISALLOWED" are perfectly normal.

If in doubt, save the capture, zip it up, and give us a link, we'll have a peek.

It's failing to create the mmc instance being loaded via reflection, and this could be anything from security issues to a task in the scheduler causing the issue (although that's highly unlikely, it's possible).

I would strongly suggest opening the event viewer and looking in the System and/or Application logs to see if anything further is actually being logged regarding this error (there should be).

There have been no tasks created (by me at least) since I haven't been able to get into it at all. I'll take a look at event viewer and also post up a process mon dump soon. Thanks