What W2k key could it be?

Peffse

I was given a Windows 2000 key after purchasing a hard drive. Problem is, it didn't have a disk and I can't figure out what version it is. I'm still largely unfamiliar with the different types, even after working over a year with them (I worked mainly with XP, and rarely installed 2000).

To make things worse, I don't have access to the different type of disks to check them individually. I wish to purchase a disk from the local shop that will work with the key, but can't tell which one it is! I'd really hate to give the key to the shop for them to check, as they will charge me, and then it's kinda pointless and I might as well buy a bundle on Ebay.

I've been lurking around the W98 forum for a while (my favorite OS so far), and with any luck this'll be my first Win2000 install.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy...

Like I stated, I've worked with XP installs for over a year, and I know there are different types of XP Pro disks. Retail, OEM, Upgrade and Volume are the four I know, that's just XP Pro, and I'm pretty sure these types are present in Win 2000 also.

I also didn't consider service packs.... do those change the keys that can be used?

First off, just getting a CD won't help because the CDs aren't labelled to match the CD Key. If you look on your CD Key, its going to say 'Windows 2000 Professional...' on the top. Post that line (its bolded) we can tell you. Or it might just say '1-2 CPU edition' or something. Also if you look on the sticker, you're going to see a number that looks like X11.0000 or something. That X number is important because it will only work with certain CDs. Basically you need to find a CD that has a sticker with that same X number on it, then you can use that CD.

Did this sticker come with a Dell or HP or something like that?

Edited by Tripredacus

I was given a Windows 2000 key after purchasing a hard drive. Problem is, it didn't have a disk and I can't figure out what version it is. I'm still largely unfamiliar with the different types, even after working over a year with them (I worked mainly with XP, and rarely installed 2000).

To make things worse, I don't have access to the different type of disks to check them individually. I wish to purchase a disk from the local shop that will work with the key, but can't tell which one it is! I'd really hate to give the key to the shop for them to check, as they will charge me, and then it's kinda pointless and I might as well buy a bundle on Ebay.

I've been lurking around the W98 forum for a while (my favorite OS so far), and with any luck this'll be my first Win2000 install.

I once new the answer you seek; however, I have forgotten.

I once new the answer you seek; however, I have forgotten.
After some thinking, you should be able to generate the Windows PID from serials.

"pidgen.dll" from the "%SystemRoot%\system32" directory should be able to generate the Product ID. From the Product ID, the product type should be determinable.

Thanks to all that tried to help!

After all these posts, and a couple of PMs, I actually found out it WAS an OEM key. Since I did not want to tamper with Volume license disks, and all I had available was retail, I actually built my own OEM using instructions and utilities on some website with "Bart's" stamped all over it. Whether it's related to the PE disks I'm told about all the time, I dunno.

Now I have a disk that can use my key! I'm installing it on a VM as I type. Hopefully the test will go well!