remote desktop dumping user back to welcome screen

graysky

Is there any method to allow remote desktoping without dumping the user account back to the welcome screen? In other words, I want to come in via rdp, but I don't want the local user to see the welcome screen.

This is possible in XP, but you need to hack a system file and I'm not clear on the legality of doing that. I suspect that it would be a breech of your license. So that leaves you with nitroshift's suggestion. If you must use RDP then you'll need for Server 2003 (or 2008 no doubt does it too), which allows you to do that. I'm not completely sure but I think it may even allow more than 2 simultaneous loggins.

If you must use RDP then you'll need for Server 2003 (or 2008 no doubt does it too), which allows you to do that. I'm not completely sure but I think it may even allow more than 2 simultaneous loggins.
Workstation versions (i.e. 2000 Professional, XP, Vista) are licensed for 1 user session at any given time (so Remote Desktop'ing kicks the user off the console and attaches to the existing session).

Server versions (2000 Server, Server 2003, Server 2008) are licensed for 1 console session + 2 Remote Administration sessions concurrently out of the box (more than that requires TS Licensing and Terminal Services to run in Application Mode).

Assuming you're talking about remote-controlling another users' machine, you can consider using Remote Assistance for this (uses RDP, but connects the remote user to the console session that the local user is seeing). Otherwise, VNC is another good choice.