13 minutes remaining, wait 10 minutes, then finish install

JenniferArden

Hello everyone. I have a question I hope you might be able to help me with. I have XP Pro Corporate version with SP2 slipstreamed. I currently use nLite 1.4.8 but have used previous versions as well. Like most people I customize my XP such as removing certain components, adding add-ons, adding visual styles, changing settings etc. My XP always works fine after I customized it with nLite, the only thing I am curious about is why it must always wait 10 minutes during installation when it reaches "13 minutes remaining"? If that can be fixed my installation will take 10 minutes instead of 20 minutes.

Well thank you for reading this and thank you if you reply for your time.

Sincerely,

Jen

South Africa

Hello Jen. Welcome to MSFN.

HOPEFULLY, I understood your post properly.

You can actually thank Microsoft for that little "problem". The countdown timer when installing Windows functions similarly to just having the numbers listed. At such and such a point in the install, it needs to list this many minutes left, then at the next point it needs to show this many minutes left.

If a component is removed that has that particular minute of the install listed, then it will jump from 13 minutes down to 10, and it's all because the components that held the 12 and 11 minute mark have been removed.

Microsoft doesn't seem to have designed the countdown with any kind of actual linear counting involved, it's just based on this does that and we should display XX number of minutes left.

I sure hope that that makes a little sense. It's still early for me and I'm still working on my first pot of coffee!

Hi Agi and Witt:)

Thank you very much for your quick replies! Yes I understand that the installation of XP is a complicated task with lots of things going on (I think) It is just so strange to me that there is no hard drive activity for 10 minutes after it says "13 minutes remaining", its asif the XP is waiting for something and then finally after 10 minutes decides OK its not going to happen let me carry on installing. I made a previous nLited XP and that one doesn't stop at "13 minutes remaining" for 10 minutes, the hard drive continues working and it only stays at "13 minutes remaining" for about 2 minutes.

But there is something else, that previous nLited XP installs very fast but is also unstable, many times a program will become unstable, and other times when i close a program it crashes. I installed that version on 2 different computers and both computers behave the same - unstable.

Jen

yea i have that too

no need to get excited

Hmmmm its really weird, I wish I could use the previous version, it installs so fast and even inside Windows after installation it is very fast but unfortunately unstable. I guess you can't have the best of both - speed and reliability :}

Hi yes I did check setuplog.txt but I only checked setuperr.log now when you spoke of it, I didn't know about it :blushing: Anyway there is nothing in setuperr.log. I always check setuplog.txt and the one thing I have noticed is that there is always a big time difference at the following place:

06/30/2008 15:28:35.749,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,3794,BEGIN_SECTION,Loading service pack (phase 4)

06/30/2008 15:31:52.546,d:\xpsprtm\base\ntsetup\syssetup\syssetup.c,3796,END_SECTION,Loading service pack (phase 4)

Please note this log is from a previous nLited XP Pro, its the one I am talking about in the topic I started, this is the XP that installs very fast and that is also very fast inside Windows but unforrtunately unstable. This is the only nLited XP I have ever been able to create that is so fast. In the setuplog.txt from other Nlited XP's the time difference is always about 10 minutes while in this one as you can see its only about 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

this is the XP that installs very fast and that is also very fast inside Windows but unforrtunately unstable.

Fast and unstable does not sound good. We recently had issues with the windows install crashing due to WBEM copy errors. That crashing means that during unattended install the installer cannot do/find something, drops the ball (stops copying, registring etc) and moves on to the next step. This has all been fixed in nLite 1.4.8. The crash would generally leave some errors in setuperr.log though.

The installation loitering at t13 is normal, see previous posts, and it is a matter of taste whether long is too long. I would be more concerned about the installation being too fast there.

Yes it doesn't lol :) although I must admit having such a fast version of XP would be great if only it was stable. But you can't have the best of both worlds, so I guess a little slower with stability is good. For me the loitering at 13 minutes is a bit long, 5 instead of 10 would have been OK. BTW I use a P4 3GHz HT, 1GB DDR RAM, 80GB IDE HD. Overall I am very impressed with its speed. I will keep the "fast" nLited XP for its uniqueness, I have made another since and it loitered again at 13 minutes remaining, is slower inside Windows but stable like I am used to it.

So I guess this topic is covered and closed.

Thanks to everyone reading and to everyone contributing.

Case closed.

Jen

Originator

Sorry !

But I don´t think it´s completely covered.

´Cause we still don´t know, what really causes the "loitering" and maybe there are some users out there, who want to know. ;)

Beside nlite I´m still using HFSLIP and try to combine the best of both programms and fora.

So e.g. the drivers and some programms are modified before and several are replaced directly (like notepad++).

Since the CD-size doesn´t matter to me, all cabs are expanded so the installation is even faster then the shown rest-time.

Maybe you give it a try as well.

Agi

Eddi T. says :

Completely forgot the old F-10 trick !

During setup, press F10 and call up the taskmanager.

It should show you, what addon or programm is particularily hanging. ;)

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Well, one situation where you can sit behind your screen and wait for you PC apparently doing nothing for a long time is when it is searching for unavailable network locations.

-One of the most notorious examples is pointers to icons that resided on \\Whatever\No_Longer_There.

It is difficult to beleave that is an issue during installation; I am not sure if the network is already installed at t13.

-Anyway the fact that there is so little disk activity for so long reminds me of the PC either searching for "something" out there.

OK lol well I am surprised at you guys :) I didn't expect this much interest from anyone about this subject, but its great and I am very happy about it. I have also had a thought that it might be the network, but I removed my wireless network from my PC and disabled the onboard LAN, so there is no network it can detect / try to configure / do whatever :) As far as I can remember the network part is installed early in the installation just after "installing Devices" - long before the T13 issue.

I wish I could leave my cabs expanded but Im limited to a 700MB CDR. Thank you for the F10 tip, I didn't know about it, I will give it a try when I install my next nLited XP this weekend, hopefully it can show me what is going on at T13. I tried "Alt + Tab" in the past but it doesn't work.

Thanks for everyone's input, I really hope we can sort out this issue (hopefully soon) lol

If anyone want to talk directly my Yahoo ID is togethr_for_ever@yahoo.com

Jen