Question about my Sound Card + What budget speaker system

m16si

Sure, you can plug them speakers on it. The onboard sound card is overkill for that speaker set really.

Don't expect great 5.1 sound from a $60 set of speakers... Like I said before, a decent, quality 5.1 sound system doesn't go for that much. Most of what you're paying is for retail sales profit, transport, the fancy box with full color printing, packaging, publicity/marketing, the factory's costs to assemble them, etc. That leaves around 6$ for the amp, 4$ for the sub, and and about 1$ per satellite speaker or so (the main part of that $ going towards the flimsy plastic enclosures). I've never seen even just a subwoofer that sounded good at anywhere near that price. 6 ghetto speakers don't really sound better than 3 better quality ones. The sub is an anemic 5" driver (doesn't move much air, doesn't go much below 50Hz), the overall response curve is likely nowhere near flat, and while it probably sounds plenty loud, the specs aren't exactly looking great (I mean, who rates their stuff at 10% THD?) I mean, they probably sound alright -- for budget speakers.

Edited by crahak

Most of what you're paying is for retail sales profit, transport, the fancy box with full color printing, packaging, publicity/marketing, the factory's costs to assemble them, etc.
That´s with everything... And yes, a good amp with sub and 5 satellites go for 5k, but you have to build them yourself ;).

Anyway, the speakers are good for that price and you hardly will find anything better.

I want to buy a budget 5.1 Sound system......

Im deciding between these systems:

Logitech X-530

Logitech X-540

Logitech G-51

And is there BIG diffrence between G-51 and X-5x0

Can you please give me an advice...

thnx

Edited by m16si

• 2 weeks later...

Don't overlook pro audio computer speakers. They are built for flat frequency response rather than the pizzaz of consumer versions but eq-ing can overcome that. If you shop around there are pro versions that are cheaper than high end retail consumer versions. And most are made so the speakers can be reconed so used ones can be a good bargan. The speakers in my studio can run at 96db, 24 hours a day. I've always had trouble trying to push non pro speakers to this level.

Edited by Sysdll

That would be an advice for the other readers as m16si already bought his 5.1 speaker set from Logitech.

The speakers in my studio can run at 96db, 24 hours a day. I've always had trouble trying to push non pro speakers to this level.
96dB isn´t much, how did you get this number? This is an average number over a period?

Most small (2-way) speaker systems would have 84 to 88dB @ 1m @ 1W straight on the baffle, so that would take 16W RMS to get to a SPL of 96dB.

Most small (2-way) speaker systems would have 84 to 88dB @ 1m @ 1W straight on the baffle, so that would take 16W RMS to get to a SPL of 96dB.

16W RMS on small 2-way computer speakers blows them. :P You can get 96dB out of them before they blow, however, you can't call that music.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

That would be an advice for the other readers as m16si already bought his 5.1 speaker set from Logitech.

96dB isn´t much, how did you get this number? This is an average number over a period?

I check my speakers with a decibel meter. I keep it at about 85db where I sit. Any more and it can cause ear fatigue. The speaker’s ability for higher output is for headroom.

Most consumer speakers are painful to my ears. The thin plastic cases hum and buzz on low frequencies. Then there’s the matter of design. As a wise man once said “You can’t change the laws of physics Jim.” Subwoofers need to be a certain size in order to accurately produce low frequencies. If you want good bass then bigger is better.

My speaker set ups are for mixing music but when I play a game I want to hear and feel the explosions and pro audio speakers do that very well. (I have Behringer MS16s and a custom sub on my home computer)

But these are my ears I’m talking about. The best speakers for you are the ones that sound the best to your ears.

Edited by Sysdll