I can't get HFSLIP to do the slipstreaming

Brabant

Would you say that fileset 8 is in it's final state now, or is it still a test release ?

It will soon be replaced by 8b anyway. I wanted to make it a little easier for myself to make a fileset that gets rid of the junk but still keeps IE for people who want it. I mainly just rearranged things. It will be up tonight.

Also, sorry for off-topic'ness, but could you please also tell me if the 'iexplore.exe' dummy-file and the 'Internet Explorer' folder it's located in, also is one of the things you've made in the fileset to help trick IE-dependant apps into thinking that IE is installed ?

It was only done as a just in case, I don't actually know of any apps that look for the executable. You can delete all of that if you want to.

using set 8 I cannot get an "ACPI PC" installation.

My fault again! It is in TXTSETUP as noted by schloss. The sections [ACPIOptions] and [GoodACPIBios] are the ones that would need adjusting. Tell you what, I'll restore the info and set ACPIBiosDate so that your machine will ACPI. To be honest the reason I removed it all was because I didn't think anyone was still using a pre-2000 PC! :blushing:

@FDV

Thank's for your help, mate - it's much appreciated :)

Btw, nice to hear that you're going to make an IE-enabled fileset also, so the IE-fixated ppl now also has something to play with, although i myself would have a very hard time going without your original IE-removal fileset, which on my system clocks in at alittle under 33MB commit, has no problems whatsoever, and does a great job of fooling the few IE dependant apps i occasionally run into, into thinking that IE actually is installed :thumbup

Thank's again, mate :)

@FDV

Thank's for your help, mate - it's much appreciated :)

Quite welcomed :thumbup

Here is a new set

http://www.vorck.com/data/set8b.zip

To get ACPI back for now, use it's TXTSETUP.SIF file (and nothing else).

For those who want to test out this new set, try the whole thing. As I noted, it is reorganized (with a few new things) in order to make an IE-included fileset.

time for bed...

Thank you schloss and thank you fdv.

@fdv: I think (i.e. not sure) the previous "set 8 install" had "Enable Web content in folders" radio button checked. It has to do with dummy iexplore being installed? Maybe it's by design but I just thought I'd mention it.

Making the new "8b iso" now and will report back.

People please help me with these Qs:

Do I need a roots update at all? I don't know what the practical use of these thingies is.

Some threads mention that directories compdata, win9x* and winntupg can be removed from sourcess. But I don't touch sourcess. It's (re)created every time. Is it OK/useful to delete from the source dir?

Do I need a roots update at all? I don't know what the practical use of these thingies is.

It depends what you do on the internet. It also depends on which browser you use.

A starting point for understanding what a Root Certificate is might be:

WikipediA: Root Certificate

Microsoft KB931125

However, the WikipediA article is too technical and uses too many unfamilar abbreviations.

The Microsoft article is even less helpful. It is also badly maintained and badly out-of-date.

(Please note: these are personal opinions, from the perspective of an end user trying to learn what a Root certificate is. I have nothing against Wikipedia or against Microsoft.)

There are also two much longer (and much better) technical articles published by Microsoft:

Microsoft Root Certificate Program

Certificate Support and the Update Root Certificates Component

You don't need to read all of these articles.

I suggest you read How Root Certificate Distribution Works from the first article

and Benefits and Purposes of Certificate Functionality from the second article.

Most computer users will use a Root Certificate without even knowing it, when they attempt to pay online using a credit card. Then the address in your browser will start with https:// not http://

If you rarely do this, or you just use local companies, then you probably don't need the very latest update.

On the other hand, if you transact globally in emerging markets, you probably do.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the explanation schloss.

Now with set 8c I get the following (see the attached screen and log file for details):

- "Tip of the day" shortcut. (Do earlier filesets have this?)

- ntldr and ntdetect are SP4 (210K and 34K) while the XP versions are in the Replace dir.

- Control Panel has a shortcut to Task Scheduler ("folder icon" bottom right). Can simply be deleted I think but maybe it just shouldn't be there.

Did I do anything wrong or should things simply be like this?

Note: I did remove the compdata, win9x*, lang and winntupg directories from Source before running hfslip.

explorer_task_sched.zip

Some threads mention that directories compdata, win9x* and winntupg can be removed from sourcess. But I don't touch sourcess. It's (re)created every time. Is it OK/useful to delete from the source dir?
these directories can be removed safely (and will save you a few more MBs) ... i keep winntupg though so i'd have recovery console install during set-up ;)

Thanks Kiki, I'll keep winntupg.

I just ran set 7 again to see differences between 7 and 8c :

- "Enable Web content in folders" is enabled in both 7 and 8c

- "Tip of the day" shortcut. This was NOT in set 7

- ntldr and ntdetect are SP4 (210K and 34K) while the XP versions are in the Replace dir. I tried putting the XP files directly in Source\i386 but then they're not in the resultant iso. I read about a FIX directory but that must have been an older hfslip version, right?

- Control Panel has a shortcut to Task Scheduler. This was NOT in set 7.

Hope this helps. If anybody cares that is... :rolleyes:

EDIT: XP's ntldr and ntdetect ARE in the SourceSS directory but don't make it to the ISO.

Edited by Brabant

Just had to say this :)

The XP files are copied now, don't know why. 2003 files works too. Process goes better with a source that has SP4 already in it.

I copied the keys under the 'Task Scheduler Control Panel "applet"' line and those under 'Tip of the Day' from set 7 back in set 8's ie.in_. That worked.

How can I get the text back in the title bar of the "Folder Options" window?

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

First a thanks to fdv, TommyP and TC for their wonderful software.

I only just started using 2000 so I have hfslip 1.7.8 and fdv files version #7 (I don't know any other).

After following steps 1 to 13 of 2ksp5.html I get an iso which, when installing, tells me that it can't copy acgenral.dll. When I continue to

install (pressing ESC) the files aclayers.dll, acspecfc.dll and au.inf can't be found either.

I tried this in various combinations of XP's NTdetect and ntldr, 5.01 fixes, DX9 files and compression (A - F). That didn't help :rolleyes:

Now I found these files in W2KSP4_EN.EXE's i386\new directory. So I decided to slipstream myself (again followed 2ksp5.html) and this

time the OS installs.

Except in the first "GUI part" of the install, when it says "installs Start menu items", where it can't find

the README.TXT. Then setup continues.

The result is that I'm missing desktop and other icons, see the png for that. And of course the README, which should be on the desktop (if I read

the posts here correctly).

My question is: Should I try to fix the missing files issue (and maybe start looking in a wrong direction) or start from scratch because obviously

something went wrong when I let hfslip do the slipstreaming?

BTW: I did a chkdsk, a defrag and an md5 check of W2KSP4_EN.EXE.

EDIT: "Start menu" was the text of course...

Try renaming source files into uppercase

Example: aclayers.dl_ into ACLAYERS.DL_