WDS using DFS

Hi,

Am trying to find out if it's possible to use DFS to make clients connect to different servers to obtain the image they need as a way to balance out the load rather than sucking all the bandwidth off the WDS server, so ideally I can use three servers to host the images that clients will connect to and download from.

Cheers

I've just had a bash at this, I've got the images hosted on DFS (folder target is \\<WDSSERVER>\REMINST\images\<<IMAGEGROUP>> however how do I get WDS to tell clients to use the DFS share as apposed to the default location of \\<WDSSERVER>\REMINST\images\<<IMAGEGROUP>> the technet article doesn't make it clear, seems to me it's just to provide a mirror on DFS that can be used to power other WDS servers.

If anyone can correct me I'll appreciate it :D

I've just had a bash at this, I've got the images hosted on DFS (folder target is \\<WDSSERVER>\REMINST\images\<<IMAGEGROUP>> however how do I get WDS to tell clients to use the DFS share as apposed to the default location of \\<WDSSERVER>\REMINST\images\<<IMAGEGROUP>> the technet article doesn't make it clear, seems to me it's just to provide a mirror on DFS that can be used to power other WDS servers.

If anyone can correct me I'll appreciate it :D

I'm unclear as to the problem - you installed DFS on the WDS server and at least one other server, and you've put the images on the DFS target. When a client connects to the WDS server and requests an image, and is told to get it from the target, it should grab it from the target from either the WDS server or the other server(s), depending on which is closer or however else you've set up your DFS.

What exactly is the question?

Hi Cluberti,

The issue I am having is how do clients know to connect to the DFS target as opposed to the share located on the WDSServer.

So since I've done nothing on WDS Server to tell clients that the images are located on the DFS target surely they would download images from <<WDSSERVER>>\REMINST\IMAGES\<<IMAGEGROUP>>

Is there some kind of config file I can altered to state a path? Because looking around on WDS it seems I can only create image groups but not state a path for them.

Hope that makes more sense :)

Cheers

• 1 year later...