Totally Confused

meggsie04

Yesterday I deleted my HD and ran a clean install. (twice). However I still have problems. System is constantly freezing, response is very slow. When Im trying to download a web page, Im getting an error message '' Not Responding" and my icon for loss of Internet connection is appearing in taskbar, yet connection is still there on modem.

Please can someone advise some solution to overcome these problems, while I still have some hair left..LOL

Check the eventlogs (start -> run -> eventvwr) for any errors relating to disk, incase it is failing, Also visit www.ultimatebootcd.com and download that.

Boot from the CD and run memtest86+ to see if you have problems with your memory.

good luck :)

Boot from the CD and run memtest86+ to see if you have problems with your memory.

yea that and check your cpu... see if the fans working good and if you work near a shop try switching it out with another one to see how that might work out. ;)

[edit] Sorry about the really long post - it wasn't intended - I just got carried away! [/edit]

When you say "freezing" do you mean that fully locks up (it freezes indefinitely - and you need to press the reset button and reboot) or that it becomes unresponsive for a while and then comes back?

If it requires a reboot, then I'm with these guys above. If you've done a clean install and you're still having problems, then you're problems most likely are related to hardware and/or other external sources. If you get any BSODs then copy the STOP codes, they may help you to troubleshoot. If you get random reboots you will want to turn that off (so you can read the STOP codes off the BSOD). Search (google or this forum) for instructions to do that, its easy.

If its just becoming unresponsive then check in task manager what is chewing up your CPU cycles. Or better still download Process Explorer (google it - it's owned by MS and is a fuller featured task manager). That should help you troubleshoot. Also check to see if there are updated drivers for your hardware. Hardware issues could still apply though (still likely because you have a clean install).

So, its probably worth testing your hardware as follows (try all of this if you are experiencing lockups, some of it is less relevant if your system is just unresponsive):

HDD:

- Run checkdisk - type "chkdsk" (no quotes) in a command window (Start > Run > type "cmd")

note: You will only need to do this if you did a "Quick Format" on install as it runs automatically at install if you do a "Full Format".

- Use a utility such as HDDHealth to check the health of your HDD. This app allows access to the SMART data on your HDD which will let you know if there are specific problems. It's not 100% and can give false negatives (ie says its fine but its not). I've never known SMART to give false positives (ie says its bad and it isn't).

RAM:

- As eyeball says run MemTest!

CPU (&RAM):

- Try using a stress test of some sort (the ones used by overclockers to test system stability - such as Prime95) to try to diagnose heat/power issues with your CPU (often these tests stress RAM as well so test that as above first).

Other hardware (and software such as drivers etc):

- Test in Safe Mode. Safe Mode enables only the base hardware and uses generic Windows drivers. If that helps, use msconfig (Type "msconfig" in a command window) to disable and enable services and startup apps to find the culprit.

- If you have an after market video card and onboard video, try removing it and see if things change. If you have onboard video only or add-on card only, see if you can borrow a vid card from a friend.

- Remove any other add-no cards and test your system without them.

- Check all plugs and cables for any that are loose.

- Remove dust and grot, especially from fans and heatsinks. Freezing can often be caused by overheating. Clean out air-vents to ensure good airflow through your case.

Obviously do any hardware changes with the machine turned off! :D

Hope this helps!

Edited by JedMeister