Dual boot XP and Vista

ibi

I have 15 computers of same model.

I install XP and applications to one of these computers and captured the image with Ghost Corporate 8.3.

I install Vista Business and other applications to another computer and captured the image with ImageX.

With Ghost I enroll the XP image to other computers as usual with success.

I want dual boot with XP and Vista on all the computers but have no success to get dual boot to work, when I apply the captured Vista-image with ImageX after Ghost clone on computers.

I use Windows PE and use Diskpart to shrink the XP partition which has C as drive letter.

Then I create a new partition and assign another letter to the new partition, apply the Vista-image with ImageX.

The computer starts with XP without showing dual boot menu.

From disk manager in XP, I choose the partition where Vista is installed as active with result that the computer now boots with Vista without showing dual boot menu.

I have also tried to change drive letter of the XP partition with Diskpart before applying the Vista image with ImageX, to reserve the letter C to Vista-partition with same negative result.

How can I get the dual boot to work? Is there any suggestions?

Hi,

Well, first off, use a file based image tool (such as imagex.exe) and NOT sector based imaging tools like ghost.exe. Secondly, the command that you to fiddle around with to get the multiboot option to work between XP and Vista is bcdedit.exe on the Vista box. Once Vista is installed on one of your machines, you will have to run a command from bcdedit.exe to indicate to the bootloader where to run a second boot option from, hence the XP installation. Sorry, I dont have the correct bcedit.exe command in place to get it working, but atleast that is what you wanna do.....