Mouse Problem while installing Windows 9X

sam13484

I have an old IBM S42. I've run both Windows 9X and XP on it, in the past, without any problems. I recently bought a new HD for it. FDISK it, and then attempted to install Windows 98. When the Installation Wizard starts, the mouse won't work. I can see it move the cursor a bit when I first use the mouse, but then it freezes. I tried both PS/2 and USB mice. The same thing happens. I thought it might be the connector, but just to try one other thing I FDISK the drive again and installed XP. I had no problems with the mouse. Went back and tried 98, and the mouse frooze again. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here? Thanks.

You can get through the setup without needing a mouse. Hint: Tab and Space.

With Tab & Space you can move the focus, but you cannot make menu selections (=make a black dot appear to the left of the selected menu item). Use cursor keys and select items by pressing Control+Space.

I also had encountered this mouse problem a few times during a Win98 installation, just after ScanDisk and before the Select [Windows] Directory comes up. I don't quite remember, I think it depended on the type of mouse I used, either with a round

PS/2 connector or with a regular serial connector. Win98 at the problematic point during installation has not yet loaded the required (serial port?USB?) driver; if the cursor of the USB mouse could be moved before that point, I would assume because of a setting in the BIOS to support USB devices with legacy operating systems. In any case I would rather not use a USB mouse for the installation of Win98.

Edited by Multibooter

Thanks for the suggestions. I was unable to use them because it appeared that the keyboard also didn't work. However, I did find a solution. The one thing I did differently from the previous successful installs was I used another Boot CD. There must be a problem with the drives on the CD, because when I went back to using a Windows 9X boot floppy, everything worked. I'd be interested in any similar experiences with that Boot CD. I use it a lot when installing Windows and generally working "in DOS". I haven't noticed the mouse/keyboard problem before.

Hitting the underlined letter of that button also works.
If I remember right, in the window "Select Directory" of Windows 98 Setup no menu selections (e.g. 'Other directory') have an underlined letter, using the cursor keys and pressing Ctl+Space is the only way to make a selection there without a mouse, and no idea why MS did not allow the hitting of an underlined letter (maybe the keyboard driver is necessary for entries of Alt+Character and is not yet installed at that stage of the installation). Please correct me if I remember wrong. Edited by Multibooter

• 1 month later...