My computers are not seeing each other in Network Neighborho

buck614

I have 2 computers using WIN 2000 Professional. For some reason they are not seeing each other in Network Neighborhood. The strange thing is, I am able to ping them by IP but not computer name, ie it will reply to 192.168.1.2 but will not reply using it's 'computer name' HAL9000.

The 1st computer name is 'HAL9000' and the second computer name is 'SAL9000'. I know....stupid.

Anyway, I cannot locate the computer by computer name.

I can however find the computer if I search by IP.

Start -> Find Files or Folders -> Computer

Both are connected via a Linksys router. The Linksys router is connected to my cable modem.

I have TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks on both computers. I have both computers set up as part of a workgroup named 'workgroup'

Everyone agrees that my problem is a problem of name resolution. Some people think I may have a problem with WINS. I have spoken to just about anyone with no results. Does anyone have any idea what I might be missing.

I actually am running Black ice Defender on both computers. I know my router is not blocking any ports at all. Is it possible that Black Ice is preventing me from resolving the computer names. I have the security setting on Blackice set to 'allow all incoming traffic' on both boxes.

buck614 - There has been so many promblems with firewalls not doing what there suppose to do. Try to uninstall them all, and clean your registry of any files remaining after the uninstall and see what happens then.

-XPerties

I finally found it!

It was my firewall, Blackice Defender.

In BlackIce, if you got to 'tools -> Edit Blackice settings...', you will see a checkbox for:

'Allow NetBIOS Neighborhood'

This has to be checked on all computers running Blackice. I am surprised more people do not have this problem because the program default is to have it unchecked. YEAH!