wmp11 on 2000 - Known Dlls Wrapper?

Hi,

This is my first post, and I'm a very happy Windows 2000 user except that there's a couple of web sites I'd like to use that require Windows Media Player 11 and 2000 will only go up to version 9.

Someone on another forum suggested KDW (Known Dlls Wrapper), which has led me to these forums as it's the only place I can see it being discussed.

Has anyone ever achieved this (even if it only partially works)?

Is KDW (Known Dlls Wrapper) the correct way to go, or is there other options?

I've managed to use the fcwin2k to allow me to run the installer (and .exe's I've extracted from the installer) but I just get other error messages.

So presumably, I need to do something with the KDW dll's (EZ mode?) but I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Any help on this whatsoever would be very much appreciated, or any suggestions on other ways to go about it, e.g. splipstreamer???

TIA

Hi,

This is my first post, and I'm a very happy Windows 2000 user except that there's a couple of web sites I'd like to use that require Windows Media Player 11 and 2000 will only go up to version 9.

Someone on another forum suggested KDW (Known Dlls Wrapper), which has led me to these forums as it's the only place I can see it being discussed.

Has anyone ever achieved this (even if it only partially works)?

Is KDW (Known Dlls Wrapper) the correct way to go, or is there other options?

I've managed to use the fcwin2k to allow me to run the installer (and .exe's I've extracted from the installer) but I just get other error messages.

So presumably, I need to do something with the KDW dll's (EZ mode?) but I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing.

Any help on this whatsoever would be very much appreciated, or any suggestions on other ways to go about it, e.g. splipstreamer???

TIA

Welcome!

:thumbup

You could try using the "full" mode on KDA, and if it's successful try the hacked installer again.

I would strongly advise backing up your system first though, as some systems will not start if the system files are replaced. I won't take any responsibility for this!

I have a dual boot system, so I just made a backup of my Windows 2000 (WINNT) folder using Windows 98.

Fortunately I didn't have to use it.

Mine did restart OK in fact, but there were a couple of other annoyances that made me go back again (see "the KernelEx for 2000?" thread for the details.)

If it reboots OK after the KDA install, but you want to roll back anyway, the uninstall mode seems to do a good job of restoring the old system DLLs correctly.

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Hi Dave-H,

Thanks for replying.

I too have a dual boot PC, so have just made a copy of my WINNT folder from 98.

Can you remember much about the installation process, as I'm a bit scared!

I click kdllinst.exe, and it says 'Detected Brocken Backup! Do you try restore? [OK/Cancel]' - what's that all about?

I clicked Cancel and program appears, but I've no idea what to do - is it just a case of clicking 'Start Setup'?

I would really have preferred to try the 'EZ Install' first - did you ever try that, and is it a case of just clicking 'EZ Install'?

Do I need to check/uncheck any flags?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

There's more about this here -

http://www.msfn.org/board/KDW-FCWIN2K-t120936.html

This is a message from the guy in Japan who developed KDW.

I was getting that "broken backup" message too, but only after I did the EZ Install, not the full setup, which seemed to work OK.

I think that the third path down at the top of the program's window, which starts off blank, is where you put the path for it to put stuff when using the EZ Install mode. If you don't put anything in there it seems to put extra files into the folder which KDLLINST.EXE is being run from. Certainly I never got rid of the error message until I manually deleted those files.

I'd try deleting all the files in the folder that you unzipped KDW to, and then start again.

The thread mentioned above says that you have to check "EZ KD Registry" before you run the install if you're using that mode. I'm afraid that I couldn't work out what that does!

I do hope that this gets better English documentation soon.........

To run the thing in full mode, you have to uncheck "EZ KD Registry" and select all the system DLLs until they all say "standby". Then hit "Start Setup".

It should then show you what it's doing, replacing the files, and prompt for a reboot.

At this point, cross your fingers and do it!

Good luck........

:)

Hi,

Well I couldn't figure out the EZ Install at all, so I went for the full one.

My machine wouldn't boot, so I reverted back to the copy of my WINNT folder and I'm back up - so thanks very, very much for that tip!

Think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead, i.e. while I have a machine that boots!

Thanks anyway!

Hi,

Well I couldn't figure out the EZ Install at all, so I went for the full one.

My machine wouldn't boot, so I reverted back to the copy of my WINNT folder and I'm back up - so thanks very, very much for that tip!

Think I'm going to quit while I'm ahead, i.e. while I have a machine that boots!

Thanks anyway!

Hi,

Are there any security software in your PC ?

for expample, I know Norton prevent from copy and rename system file by KDW.

You had better try to copy manual install KDW.

Case of Dual boot other OS, or anothere Windows 2000:

Please rename from kernel32.dll to kernel2k.dll in system32 folder, and back up to dllcache, and Copy KDW kernel32.dll to system32\kernel32.dll

Case of Recovery Console:

You have to copy KDW DLL copy to any folder under WINNT, Before Boot recovery console.

for example WINNT\temp.

Please rename from kernel32.dll to kernel2k.dll in system32 folder, and back up to dllcache,

and Move KDW kernel32.dll from the folder to system32.

Rename Law:

kernel32 -> kernel2k

advapi32 -> advapi2k

ws2_32 -> ws2_2k

shell32 -> shell2k

user32 -> user2k

wtsapi32 -> wtsapi2k

rpcrt4 -> rpc2k4

shlwapi -> shlwa2k

esent -> ese2k

Hi,

No big secret.

Just want to get 4OD and Five Demand working.

If you're outside the UK this won't mean much to you.

4OD should work with WMP10, so I'll hopefully get that going soon.

But Five Demand says it needs WMP11 - don't know if that's strictly true - will find out.

Thanks

there's a couple of web sites I'd like to use that require Windows Media Player 11

That is interesting.

Are you willing to disclose examples of the websites. If so, which ones?

It seems that sites like 4oD and Demand Five require newer version of Windows Media Player.

Sites like 4oD and Demand Five restrict media with Data Rights Management (DRM) to limit a user's ability to use the media.

The requirement of the newer Windows Media Player version is probably to require enforcement of newer DRM (that is installed with newer versions of Windows Media Player).

Perhaps there is a way to fool the sites Windows Media Player version check to report a newer version of Windows Media Player.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is quite an old thread so back then it wouldn't have been quite as easy but thank you for posting that video, it will help show those who want to run WMP11 on Windows 2000. I've been doing that method for quite a long time myself but it definitely works. I like how you used Kirby's Gourmet Race music in the first part of your video. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2016 at 4:25 PM, Tommy said:

This is quite an old thread so back then it wouldn't have been quite as easy but thank you for posting that video, it will help show those who want to run WMP11 on Windows 2000. I've been doing that method for quite a long time myself but it definitely works. I like how you used Kirby's Gourmet Race music in the first part of your video. :thumbup

This version of Kirby's Gourmet Race is from Super Smash Bros for Nintendo 64. (Even though it was on Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS)

Edited by SuperKid YT
Sorry, I found that last sentence to be a little egotistic.