Budget DVD burner recommendations

I need to buy an internal DVD burner for my ancient Dell, I'm on a sickeningly tight budget, and I could use some advice. Here is what I'm looking for:

I don't need any bells and whistles like headphone jacks, buttons which do this or that, or blazing speed. It doesn't have to be pretty, stylish, hip, or particularly quiet. I'm not willing to spend an extra dime for any of these things. And, I don't need a software bundle or a cable or any other paraphenalia - OEM is fine.

What I do need, and for which I will spend as many extra dimes as are necessary (but no more), is accuracy, reliability, and durability in performing the core functions of a DVD burner - reading and writing CDs and DVDs. I need it to install with a minimum of headaches, not make coasters, not be finicky about media (because, in keeping with the sickeningly tight budget referenced above, I'll probably buy whatever's on sale), and not be a flimsy piece of **** which disintegrates in 6 months. Dual-layer would be nice, but isn't essential, and if it inflates the price more than a couple bucks, forget it. A company with decent support would be nice, too.

Finally, the minimum requirements have to be in line with my Methuselah of a machine - 1.3 G P4, 768 M Ram, WinXP Home - and if manufacturer's specs for this sort of hardware are as foolishly optimistic as, say, Microsoft's are, please let me know. Also, I might set up a dual-boot w/ Ubuntu soon, so compatibility therewith would be a plus.

I'll quit ranting and start listening now. Many thanks for all advice offered...

Edited by smilejack1

two companies, LG and Lite-On. hop onto Newegg.com and check out those two brands. you probably wont spend much more than $30 on it, but you have to always make sure your getting the right one (IDE vs SATA).

as for the software end, i've never bothered installing the Nero that came with my burner, i just use the trial of UltraISO which suits me very well (i'm never really burning stuff other than pre-compiled ISOs anyway.

if you need more than that, UltraISO is not terribly expensive to buy, and its an amazing program.

Ubuntu is very flexible, and will have native burning support for both CDs and DVDs, so i can't say you'll have a problem with it there. In Ubuntu, on multiple occasions, it's told me that a burn has failed, but when i go test the CD or DVD elsewhere, it works fine.

I have an LG DVD burner, and a Benq DVD burner, i'd suggest the LG over Benq.

I don't understand why people throw around Lite-On and LG like they're supposed to be any good.

You can buy high quality DVD+/-RWs from reliable companies at budget prices, the technology has become so affordable that even the high quality products are inexpensive.

Get yourself any drive from Pioneer or NEC. You'll enjoy your burner and not have to worry about it's quality.

299 reviews and a 5 egg average... Pioneer is where it's at.

Edited by jcarle

I have a samsung (sata with lightscribe). love it and haven't had a problem. it's also very quiet.

I hadn't chimed in yet, as I don't really care so much what brand I get (they mostly all work fine, and they're all dirt cheap), but samsung wise... I'd definitely skip on that. I just got rid of one. It didn't play nice at all (AHCI issues). I'd definitely get a Pioneer, NEC or LiteOn over one of those again...

Just my 2 cents.

I'm currently using an NEC, which has been great. I'm not sure how they'll be down the road since they are owned by Sony, now.

A co-worker highly recommends the Samsungs, cheap & quiet.

Another co-worker had nothing but problems with his Pioneer. It was extremely loud. At one point, he sent it in for repair. It took Pioneer a couple of months to get it back to him.

I tried Lite-On several years ago, and was not impressed. The burn speed kept getting slower and slower, until it wouldn't burn or read at all over an 8 month period. I contacted the e-tailer & they went out of business. So I went to directly to Lite-On and received no response whatsoever. Got a couple of good months out of it.

Personally, I would say NEC or Samsung...best bang for the buck. :thumbup

Hi I bought a Lite-On DH-20A4P brand new in a shop for just $36 (thats in Aussie-in America it would be less). It works great!!! I had it running on windows 98 with a P3 667MHz with 128MB RAM so it would work on yours easily. It came with a black and a white faceplate, nero 7, and is dual-layer compatible. Mine was the IDE version but there is an identical SATA version if you want. Rated 9/10 by Australian PC User. A bit loud and doesnt have the needless audio jack but fits what you want perfectly.