VPN on SBS2003 small problem

swancd

Trying to setup VPN for the first time. Have enabled on server and opened all the ports needed for PPTP on router, also made sure the user has been allowed the dial-in option. We are using No-Ip.info as we don't have static IP.

When I make a VPN connection in my client PC I can get it connected no problems and it gets an IP.

What isn't working is that I can't then get any local resources such as server shares. Shouldn't I be able to create mapped drives etc?

Any help appriciated.

Thanks

Can you ping the server by its name? Can you ping the server by its IP?

Also check that the subnet you are coming from does not have the same IP range as the subnet the server is on, as this would cause that sort of behaviour too.

Trying to setup VPN for the first time. Have enabled on server and opened all the ports needed for PPTP on router, also made sure the user has been allowed the dial-in option. We are using No-Ip.info as we don't have static IP.

When I make a VPN connection in my client PC I can get it connected no problems and it gets an IP.

What isn't working is that I can't then get any local resources such as server shares. Shouldn't I be able to create mapped drives etc?

Any help appriciated.

Thanks

When you say local resources do you mean on the PPTP VPN server? Or local as in on the local subnet.

It sounds like a static route needing to be added TBH

Also, have you got the Windows server firewall running on the VPN server?

Edited by minion

He shouldnt need a static route for this to work, His VPN is clearly up at this point, the traffic will know where to go, infact all traffic will now go via the VPN instead of the local subnet. However the firewall is a good point.

If you do an ip scan of the 192.168.10/24 subnet once you are VPN'd in does anything reply?

If not i wonder if you have forwarded GRE through the firewall too? Im pretty sure it wouldnt have let you get this far but its something to check.

:)

Edited by eyeball

He shouldnt need a static route for this to work, His VPN is clearly up at this point, the traffic will know where to go, infact all traffic will now go via the VPN instead of the local subnet. However the firewall is a good point.

If you do an ip scan of the 192.168.10/24 subnet once you are VPN'd in does anything reply?

If not i wonder if you have forwarded GRE through the firewall too? Im pretty sure it wouldnt have let you get this far but its something to check.

:)

It won't let me open the Windows Firewall on my SBS2003. Haven't got any other software firewall running. We have Symantec Client Security A/V but no other software firewall.

How do I do the ip scan you mentioned?