[Old Guide] Services and components

Randomness

Thanks for all the replies folks. It is true what many say. This guide would be worthless if I did not have any idea of what components to check. However, by having shared your knowledge with me, I can make up for these mistakes by correcting the list. That is what my goal is with this thread.

Now the list has been updated big time. The amount of red items are now half of what it used to be... at least! But as a warning to all those who plan to use this guide, it should not be done without having read the comments for each item.

#8 system

digital locker - is safe to removed because check this

Digital locker

is a Microsoft platform for the delivery of software electronically that works with Windows Marketplace and is secured by use of Windows Live ID. The digital locker platform is comprised of four major components:

1. Windows Marketplace catalog

2. Multi merchant download cart

3. Digital Locker Assistant (a client side application that facilitates the download of purchased applications)

4. Digital Locker.

For consumers, the digital locker and Windows Marketplace can be used for purchasing and downloading third party software titles compatible with Microsoft Windows, and then using that purchased software on any computer the software license allows.

For software developers, the digital locker and Windows Marketplace can be a cost-effective channel for the distribution of their software titles.

Windows marketplace is only available for residents of the USA.

link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_locker

Edited by kateo

TIP: Download the program "DriverMAX" and update all your drivers to the latest, safe version. Then export them into a folder that you've created, which you'll use to later integrate your own drivers into VLite. If you have done this, it is safe to check all the options

TIP: rather than use a third-party program, go to the manufacturers (like NVIDIA, Realtek, Intel etc) site and get the latest driver from there.

DHCP - Keep it.

You can remove if you use a static IP.

Digital Locker - Keep it.

You can just remove it if you dont use.

Manual Install (Setup.exe)

I *think* this is only needed for installing from (within) Windows. If you just boot from the disc you can remove.

Remote Differential Compression - Keep it.

iirc Removing it improves performance for file transfers.

Windows SAT - Keep it.

Unless you really like seeing how Vista rates your computer, you can remove it.

Edited by anonymous_user

#6 network

Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) - safe to remove because read this

only if you are home user removed

This package contains the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) responder. The network map on a computer running Windows Vista shows a graphical view of the computers and devices on your network and how they are connected by using the LLTD protocol. The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map.

Edited by kateo

Isn't Digital Locker needed if you need to install for an instance the Office pack several times on a single computer, without losing the license? That is how I understood it, but I might be wrong.

@ Anonymous User: DriverMAX is wonderful. If you just stick to the manufactors that provide the drivers (it is very obvious), then you should be fine. The advantage with this program is that it notes everything from graphics cards to firewire ports. It finds it all.

How can you find out whether you use a static IP or not? Is it something that most people have? I'll edit the last two.

For the record, LLTD is necessary for finding networks. I tried once without it and got really mad because of that. :P

Alright, thanks for the information. I'll leave it covered in red, but I'll add the description to it, so that those who can, will check it. Oh, and to answer one of the previous questions, this configuration slims down the installation files to roughly 610 MB. In other words, it'll fit on a CD. :lol:

Edited by Randomness

Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) - Leave this one unchecked.

MicroSoft Multi Path-Bus - Leave this one unchecked.

Ive removed these with no ill effects.

Sound Recorder - You can never be sure on that you won't buy a microphone. So better leave this unchecked.

Theres lots of things you can do with a microphone other than record sounds. For example, you can use it for chat or games.

Shell Event Sounds - These are the sounds in Windows, like when you open a window etc.

Removing sounds is harmless; it should not be red.

Quality Windows Audio Video Experience - Improves sound quality. Not necessary, but the function is good.

If its not necessary, why mark it red?

Digital Rights Management - Is it even legal to turn this off? tongue.gif Seriously, I'm not sure if it is. Ask Nuhi about it.

If you dont buy/download drm-enabled windows media files then you can do without this component. WMP will work fine without DRM.

Edited by anonymous_user

IMAPv2 Burning support is needed for a ISO maker app that uses it.
Sounds like a poorly coded and outdated app. Anyways, there's tons of OSS for ISO creating/burning that are coded without using any "native" resources on windows.
Or, it could be called being an efficient developer and needing to write fewer lines of code by using the native OS APIs to achieve something, rather than reinventing the wheel by writing your own cd writer driver stack (and going through the hassle of getting it signed for x64 support). Just because someone uses the Windows APIs doesn't make it poorly coded (at all...).

Just because someone uses the Windows APIs doesn't make it poorly coded (at all...).
In fact, I'd much rather trust software written by a developer that uses Windows APIs instead of, like cluberti said, trying to write something completely from scratch and in turn generating unfamiliar, untested and possibly buggy code and overall generating more unnecessary work for the developer.

The description for '.NET Framework' says it will remove both 2.0 and 3.0 and you wont be able to install 2.0 later on. Does this mean i cant install 3.5 later on as well?

Also, i recently made a vLite 1.2 RC and now when i use ventrillo i can't get text-to-speech to work. What might i have removed that caused this? So i can make another vLite so that text-to-speech will work.

probably speech support in accessories

OK, thanks ill uncheck this for my next vLite build.

EDIT: WoW, speech support is 625mb and it says its for voice activating programs, i guess its needed for Ventrillo too :*(

Edited by Kraze

I happen to find this software utility to be very useful, so I thought I'd make a guide for those first timers who are not sure on what they shall check and what to leave. If anyone finds an error in the guide, or would like to add something, then please do so ;)

Green: Can be safely removed

Orange: Important for some, checkable for others

Red: Critical item that most users should not be checked

This Is exactly what I was looking for. I had no Idea what most of the Items were. Which ones to keep and which ones to check. Thanks man.

EDIT: And btw. This should probably be stickied. It was very helpful.

Edited by thedevilcried