[Old Guide] Services and components

Randomness

Sideshow - An alternate method of having a slideshow.

No, it is not a method of slideshow. Sideshow is for some new notebook which has a secondary, small LCD screen on their lids. If you do not have such a fancy laptop, you may remove it.

Parental Controls - Got children in the house? If you plan to use it, then leave it unchecked.

Some games, like Lost Planet v1.004 , require this service to be present on the computer. So, if you want to be on the safe side, leave it. If you do not play any games, just remove it.

@ Randomness: I find this so called 'Guide' of yours kind of a waste of time in my opinion. Have you even slightly looked up what all of the components and services really do? Most of the tips you give are misleading and dead wrong! Stop writing these guides if you don't know what your talking about. It's a good initiative, I agree, but only if started by someone who really knows all of the components and services including their dependencies inside out...

Sorry to be a little harsh here, but it kinda bugged me -_-

No disrespect whatsoever ;)

Could you please make some corrections if you think that there were some mistakes? My Vista Image is based in a part on this guid so before the installation I would like to know if I have to correct something, I don't want then my system to be unstable. Thanks ;)

Well, if you read the reply's on this thread, you'll notice that a lot of users are correcting almost every part of the "Guide" ;)

I know this comment is months old but I can't help but touch on it... what a prick. Randomness this guide is an absolute money idea. Sure it's needed a little refining along the way, but that's why it's in a thread and why we have community. I've been looking for a guide of this simplicity and clarity. Finally I'm using vLite with confidence and improving my Windows experience. Great job, and thanks for putting it together.

And thanks for all the comments in thread to help clarify parts of it.

Thanks MPalmz. You have understood the purpose of this thread completely. I myself is not an expert on this field, but with assistance from all of you, I am able to refine it all the way until it is complete. It can be argued whether or not I should have named it a guide, when it is only in the early stages, but I think I caught more interest upon it this way.

Now I have finally managed to get the latest version of VLite running. I'm now cooperating with a computer technican who knows a lot more than me. So I have decided to overhaul my first post with a new setup that is more likely to succeed than the current one. It will take a little bit of time though. Maybe a few days. So please have patience until then. :)

Edited by Randomness

Thanks MPalmz. You have understood the purpose of this thread completely. I myself is not an expert on this field, but with assistance from all of you, I am able to refine it all the way until it is complete. It can be argued whether or not I should have named it a guide, when it is only in the early stages, but I think I caught more interest upon it this way.

Now I have finally managed to get the latest version of VLite running. I'm now cooperating with a computer technican who knows a lot more than me. So I have decided to overhaul my first post with a new setup that is more likely to succeed than the current one. It will take a little bit of time though. Maybe a few days. So please have patience until then. :)

Oh crap. I better copy this guide then because it worked perfectly for me. People who have difficulties just need to use a little common sense and play it safe on a few of the "iffy" things. For example I kept in some things that the guide indicates can be removed like Crash Dump and Firewire. I'm also vLiting a very current release of Vista (my OEM disk had SP1 already integrated) so some of the options are different. You just use common sense, read up on things that are questionable for removal. My personal ISO was 1.06GB and despite leaving in several components I was able to chop out 2/3 of my original ISO. Not as slim as some other people's ISO's but my system is at least twice as fast now...at least!

It was this guide that actually got me back into OS customization and I'm just thrilled with vLite now.

Maybe warn us prior to replacing this guide in case there are others that frequent the thread for perfecting their custom OS. I'm actually using it tonight to fix both of my work PC's.

Edited by MPalmz

I do not see there being a point in keeping an old guide, if the new version has improved on all fields. But on the other hand, I'm not just there yet. I have big trouble with slipstreaming the SP1 for Vista and not getting the loop-effect. I think it happens about 50% of the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. I wonder when this will finally be fixed. Doing this is incredibly time consuming, and it is therefore really a bit annoying. :} All good charms for Nuhi though. It is a great product!

• 2 weeks later...
If i do like this quide says and i delete components.. How much faster my Vista is then?

Sorry my lame english. I`m from Finland.

My execution times have been roughly cut in half. Boot-up, about 40% faster. That's just my system.

I've seen that some of you want me to add the components of the full version. Problem is however that VLite 1.2 does not work on my computer, even after having made a clean install and having the WAIK also installed. Yet I get the note about that I have to install WAIK. Anyone know how to deal with this?

And why is it that all the posts are lined up in one-liners below my starting post? Isn't that incredibly unpracticle?

Randomness did you ever get to the bottom of this? It has to do with running vLite on the 32-bit version of vista. There is a quick and easy fix for it. Just copying some file somewhere. If you do a search you should find it fairly easily, I myself am too lazy to do so. Sorry.

Just wanting to check on an update of this guide to see if you're any closer to tayloring it to the updated images of Vista that already have SP1 integrated. The component removal portion is quite a bit different in some areas. Still, this works wonders for those of us with the patience, common sense, and intuition to make the gaps work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I did. But I am having quite some complications with getting the network to function properly. It consumes a lot of time attempting to boot new VLite versions in Virtual Machine after removing one file after the other. I will not stop trying though!

I recommended to remove Snipping Tool , Speech Support , Drivers , Languages , Music & Video Samples , Natural Language , Software Quality Mangement , Windows Backup , System Restore & Tablet PC because this makes your vista much ligher without having conflicts.

@ Randomness How much Memory did your Vlited Vista take, please ??

Thank you...

I just made a copy of my vista home premium x86 and it takes 6GB of space on the HDD.

About how much memory it's using is all depending on how much you have in your system and what applications you use as there is superfetch in vista that loads the most common apps you usualy run, so you can't just ask anyone how much memory it will take as it is all depending on the user and what you use. Usualy vista tries to use the most amount of memory, and this is a good thing as you don't want memory to be unused.

But for example i have 3GB atm, my vista takes 1GB atm, in a couple of days it'll most probably take around 2GB or more depending on how i use everything.

Great post btw, it's much better explainations than in vlite, though some of the explainations should be more than "check" or "keep it", most people wants to know what it is and why you should turn it off or so. Any reason at all would be great for everything.

EDIT: lol, i just realised there was 4pages more than the first one i read before i logged in, oh anyways, i let my statement stay :)

Edited by Michel.K

Guest CPJames19
Yes, I did. But I am having quite some complications with getting the network to function properly. It consumes a lot of time attempting to boot new VLite versions in Virtual Machine after removing one file after the other. I will not stop trying though!

I fink the reason for the failure of network and sharing centre starting is due a missing dll file. Make sure you have qutil.dll in the Windows\System32 folder. You can download it from here:

http://www.afreedll.com/dll/info/qutil_dll.html

Would you tell me if that helps you please.

Kind regards,

Chris