[Old Guide] Services and components

Randomness

Printers - remove it all use the web to get the lastest driver

Scanners - remove it all use the web to get the lastest driver

I would point out that many Printer/Scanner drivers use parts of the integrated drivers.Canon for example.Removing integrated drivers means that Scanner/printer wont work even with fresh drivers.

IMAPv2 Burning support is needed for a ISO maker app that uses it.

IMAPv2 Burning support is needed for a ISO maker app that uses it.

Sounds like a poorly coded and outdated app. Anyways, there's tons of OSS for ISO creating/burning that are coded without using any "native" resources on windows.

Display Adapters - The drivers for your graphics card. You can safely all the options except the brand that your PC uses (Nvidia, ATI etc.).
Remove and integrate your own.
Windows Media Codec - I've found out the hard way how things intend to not work without these. Let it be!
Mainly used for WMV (WMV3/9 and WC-1) decoding. It also supports most MPEG-4 standards such as h264, DivX4+ and XviD. Just get ffdshow to cover all crap you need. It's still needed as noted for wmv streams along with WMP (the firefox addon won't do much without WMP as a side note ;)

Note that this is still needed if you want the thumbnail support for some codecs such as WMV at all. If anyone knows a way to fix this (has an idea on what files are needed for wmv decoding /w thumbnail support) send me a PM.

Media Metadata Handler - Creates thumbnails/previews of your videos. Check if you do not want it.
Again, keep it with Windows Media Codec (70MB~) until someone can figure out those 1-3MB worth or files needed (only*) for WMV thumbnail/playback support as well.
16-bit support - Access to old software. Keep it.
Same call as on XP, your choice.
Crash Dump Support - Keep it.
If you've gotten used to BSODs I suggest you remove it. Most BSODs for normal folks are cause by display drivers anyways...

I also recommend you to try the extreme switch once your familiarized yourself with vLite.

@ Randomness: I find this so called 'Guide' of yours kind of a waste of time in my opinion. Have you even slightly looked up what all of the components and services really do? Most of the tips you give are misleading and dead wrong! Stop writing these guides if you don't know what your talking about. It's a good initiative, I agree, but only if started by someone who really knows all of the components and services including their dependencies inside out...

Sorry to be a little harsh here, but it kinda bugged me -_-

No disrespect whatsoever ;)

@ Randomness: I find this so called 'Guide' of yours kind of a waste of time in my opinion. Have you even slightly looked up what all of the components and services really do? Most of the tips you give are misleading and dead wrong! Stop writing these guides if you don't know what your talking about. It's a good initiative, I agree, but only if started by someone who really knows all of the components and services including their dependencies inside out...

Could you please make some corrections if you think that there were some mistakes? My Vista Image is based in a part on this guid so before the installation I would like to know if I have to correct something, I don't want then my system to be unstable. Thanks ;)

Could you please make some corrections if you think that there were some mistakes? My Vista Image is based in a part on this guid so before the installation I would like to know if I have to correct something, I don't want then my system to be unstable. Thanks ;)

Well, if you read the reply's on this thread, you'll notice that a lot of users are correcting almost every part of the "Guide" ;)

Nice guide! But it always depend on your use. Some others components recommended for you are safe to remove regarding your personal use.

Anyway it can help some people

Thank

its better to have guide for WHAT happens if a component is removed than what can or cannot be removed (u can always create a Remove all (all checked) install)

eg: i never use Zip folders then whats the ponit in keeping it? there are so many components like the same..

Better provide a detailed description,dependencies etc for each componet ,update it with user feedbacks

It helps nuhi to less document the app and more on features :whistle:

I work on the basis that if I don't know what it is I must not use it therefore I remove it ;)

I am joking of course but this does work in some cases. If you know what drivers/hardware you need/have then the Drivers and Hardware Support sections should be easy. Basically, do as it says in the info. If you don't have a QLogic Fibre Channel Adapter (whatever that is) then you don't need the driver. If you don't have a firewire port or don't have any firewire devices don't bother with the hardware support (just make sure you have it turned off in the bios otherwise you'll get unknown hardware in you device manager if you have a port but don't use it).

For example I have a TV card but I have a driver. So I can check Drivers->TV Tuners but must not check Hardware Support->TV Tunner support.

As for the rest of the components I'd suggest you do a little more experimentation, maybe try removing lots of components and checking the install in a VM. I guess it's reasonable for a first attempt but I think maybe you should change some of those DO NOT REMOVE components to I DON'T KNOW components and we can get a few more notes in about their use. For example Distributed Link Tracking Client and Protected Storage can be safely removed as most users don't use or even know what these are for. Error Reporting can be safely removed so it should be green. It's irrelevant whether people like MS or not.

Also there seem to be quite a few missing components here. Perhaps we can see an update coming soon? :) Perhaps you could add systems you've tested on and your setup in general with a mention of the hardware and software you use.

Anyway well done on the effort. If you can keep at it this will turn into a valuable resource.

Just remember (as mentioned) everyone has different systems and software. What works for one may not work for another. It's the bane of the software makers existence.

can someone provide a list of components vlite can remove because I havent got a full ISO of vista, just one which someone else has done

I might try and make a list of what components can be removed without any trouble

Edited by Richard Arkless