Thinking of setting up server

Fedora or CentOS are good RedHat-based distributions of Linux, but I still prefer Debian for everyone (noob to master). It provides arguably the best package system for Linux, is EXTREMELY stable (the maintainers are downright anal about packages before they make it into the stable tree), but does allow someone who's daring to run testing or unstable versions (nonclemature, unstable is usually quite stable) of the distro.

And upgrades are easy - apt-get dist-upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Debian is another nice distro to use. My experiences with CentOS have been disappointing the more I use it. (I've got a number of servers with the exact same config files that behave differently)

However, with the help of cluberti and jcarle, I've got a Debian webserver up and running on a Hyper-V VM. It's currently hosting www.jcarle.com and www.zxian.org (DNS, MySQL, Apache, and FTP). :)

I used this guide as a starting point to figure out what to install. However, I decided against using ISPconfig in the end since it's mostly a private server and I'd rather do the minor edits here and there myself.

There are two things Im wondering. One, when I come to the domain name part, do I have to put in the domain that I bought (going to buy)?

Two, how should I partition my drive? When I was reading the FREEBSD guide, there was something of the amount of ram and disc space (I think, cant remember exactly). If you need my specs for the server, here they are.

Hard drive: 320GB's

RAM: 2GB's

CPU: dual core 1.8GHz

Honestly, for a hosting server, I'd just take the default of let the system decide for you on partitioning. As to the domain name, it's not required that you enter the name of the domain you bought, but it isn't a bad idea to do.