Remove IE but update IE core? possible?

TranceEnergy

Hello!

I am removing internet explorer from my installs and it works fine, however, since i need services.mcs to work, i need to keep IE core.

Is there any way i can update that to f.ex internet explorer 7 versions, or is that no way and im stuck on ie6 core.

I guess i could always extract files and manually copy over etc, but i dont know what files i would need to achieve updating all of ie core.

im going to try the alternative ie pack, tho it doesnt say anything about x64, makes me worry a bit.

update: I used the alternative pack which directly integrates on xp cd source.

recipe: xp x64 cd, integrate sp2, integrate alternative direct integration ie7, make iso.

Then i proceeded with my preset to remove ie etc and rest of things.

I got error message in vmware "not enough resources to complete the api"

That was the NR_IE7en_Addon_2.0.1_alt.7z , im going to try the other one now, sigh..

update2: got error that adparse.mui something could not be copied.

I didnt expect any packs to work for this, but at least now i have tried..

So unless someone can make a *proper* ie7 integration routine, that will work with nlite and removing ie7 itself but keeping ie core, im out of luck =(

Edited by TranceEnergy

Then you must be using some sort of silent install addon, can't help you there.

I integrate IE7 with nLite directly.

No i integrate ie7 with nlite directly. No silent install of it.

edit: i Integrated 020-IE7-WindowsServer2003-x64-enu.exe , IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB938127-x64-ENU.exe , IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB950759-x64-ENU.exe

And renamed them to 020-IE7-WindowsServer2003-x64-enu.exe (no change) , KB938127-x64-ENU.exe , KB950759-x64-ENU.exe.

Dont think that should matter at all but..

Edited by TranceEnergy

updated. Could it be if my local install of .net framework 2.0sp1 is damaged possibly that have caused it?

I do remember i have tried this in the past and got the same result as now, that IE is not removed. at all.

I also use custom paths, pf instead of program files, so its PF and PF(x86).

setup error log file is empty too.Nothing in it.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Well try only integrating IE7 and no other addons.

Ye i can try that. But still. this is weird. If nlite doesnt remove IE because i also chose to integrate some hotfixes for it.

If i DONT integrate ie7, and chose to remove ie, ie gets removed. So i know nlite can do it.

IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB938127-x64-ENU contains Microsoft Vector Graphics Rendering(VML) components, so that is okay, i have chosen to remove that too.

So that shouldnt be a problem to also chose to integrate this, since i have told nlite to remove this as well anyway.

IE7-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB950759-x64-ENU on the other hand contains many useful updates. such as:

DirectX Media -- DirectX Transform Core

Internet Shortcut Shell Extension DLL

Internet Ratings and Local User Management DLL

and much more nice stuff.

Okay so lets see, both of these hotfixes might have their contents updated in other hotfixes, but unless i go through all other hotfixes i integrate, about 50 hotfixes, i cant know that for sure.

So with all respect, in my point of view, this shouldnt be a problem, yet it is.

update: I now did a vmware install without the 2 hotfixes and only ie7 itself and other hotfixes.

IE was *NOT* removed.

I am going to do a final test now and only integrate SP2, then IE7, and run my preset with what to remove, wo any keep files or such, just basics.

Edited by TranceEnergy

It failed....

Nlite does not remove IE7 once integrated on x64. Which i have tried now many times, and many times before, even when it first came out.

Perhaps nlite can remove 32bit version only.tho that quickly is eliminated since i know it removes x64 version of ie6, so it cant be that.

Im going to try to make this even simpler. Only integrate ie7 and absolutely nothing else, not even service pack. But i am running out of ideas.

Edited by TranceEnergy

Screenshot in 1920x1200 cropped down to, converted to gif 32 colors to save space.

Nlite does not remove ie7 once integrated. It does remove those others that says it needs it tho, so thats quite funny.

I included all other things that relied on ie7 according to nlite itself. Screenshot shows last session ini.

[Main]
Env = 1.4.8 - 2.0.50727.1433.Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2
Target = Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP1 - 5.2.3790.1830 - English (United States)

[Tasks]
Remove Components
Unattended Setup
Hotfixes and Update Packs
Create a Bootable ISO
Options

[Components]
;# Multimedia #
AOL ART Image Format Support
;# Network #
Internet Explorer
Synchronization Manager
Vector Graphics Rendering (VML)
;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]
msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]
clock.avi
yahoo.bmp
swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]
ClassicSetup
BlackSetupBack
OemBranding
ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"
TargetPath = "WINDOWS"
temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
CleanBiosInfo
AdvTweaks

[Patches]
TcpIp = 100
UsbPoll = 1000
DoUxTheme
DoSFC

[Services2]

[Tweaks]

[Unattended]
ComputerType = Automatic
HibernationNo
AutoLogon = Administrator
FirewallOff
Resolution = 1024x768
BitsPerPel = 32 bit (True Color)
Vrefresh = 60 Hz
DisableSRestore
MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12
RestorePointLife = 30
DefaultThemesOff
DefaultStartPanelOff
DesktopTheme = Windows Classic|Windows Classic style|Normal
IISInstall = 2
AutoUpdates = 4
AutoUDay = 5
AutoUHour = 15
ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"
CustomNetwork
NOMS_PSched

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]
S:\Windows\WinXP-64_sp2+\Hotfix_KB_light+ie7\020-IE7-WindowsServer2003-x64-enu.exe

post-91607-1217824352_thumb.png

Edited by TranceEnergy