Shutdown Dialog

ldoodle

Hiya,

Is it possible to change the picture in the shutdown dialog box (ie Start > Shut Down)? I have never been able to this, but have always changed the logon and ctrl+alt+del dialogs with a custom image using Resource Hacker, but have never found the correct file for the shutdown one.

Thanks

And how does one overwrite shell32.dll? Even in safe mode it is locked!

For msgina.dll, I use a custom filename and use the GinaDLL registry entry to point it to that. Is there not the same way for shell32.dll?

Thanks

I replaced Shell32.dll by doing this:

1) copy shell32_new.dll to %windir%\system32

2) open a command prompt

3) open the task manager and kill explorer.exe

4) type

ren shell32.dll shell32_old.dll && ren shell32_new.dll shell32.dll

5) Hit enter

6) type shutdown -r -t 0

When you start up, it should be replaced. If not, then I probably missed some step of the process :blushing:

I have managed to sort it. shell32.dll does in fact NOT need to be modified to get the shutdown dialog display the custom image.

msgina.dll actually needs to be replaced with your custom one. The reg hack for GinaDLL does not work on the shutdown dialog - only for the logon and ctrl+alt+del dialogs.

The best way I found was to customize msgina.dll with custom images, then use cab maker to compress it. Then overwrite the original msgina.dl_ file on the source CD on unattended installations.

As for being overwritten by updates - in my experience the only ones that modify msgina.dll are Service Packs. I am running XP SP3 and very much doubt MS will be working on a SP4 for XP!