OpenGL

todarsey

Our company uses software that runs on OpenGL. Is there a way to see what cards run OpenGL better than others? The reason I am asking is, I have seen cards that say that they support OpenGL 2.0 but I will have to slow down the hardware acceleration to about half to get the card to display correctly, which slowes down performance BIG TIME. One example of a card I am having trouble with is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600.

Our company uses software that runs on OpenGL.
Your software provider should give you more information on what cards there software runs best. Like Jcarle stated, there are video cards with a different BIOS (read Hardware ID) that will enable features that would not be enabled at "gamer cards". Programs like RivaTuner can fake the software by changing the Hardware ID for the Video card. Software from Autodesk will be accelerated as the card is seen as FireGL or Quadro.

That's kind of the problem, we are the people who have designed the software, but when I ask the people who do the programming how to find out which cards will run OpenGL better than others, all they can tell me is to do a Google search fore some bench marks on different cards. I can't seem to find a site that gives OpenGL bench marks on the cards I'm looking at.

For a definitive answer you would have to look at the technical specifications of the cards. However you can safely bet that any video card that is used for Macs has full OpenGL support up to the advertised version, and you'll also find that nVidia has better support for OpenGL since they have better support for Linux and provide cards for Macs.