USB storage devices crash my computer

J.R

I would advise using UBCD4Win (Unreal Boot CD for Windows)

UNREAL :w00t:

Maybe you play too much games ;) and happen to mix their titles, UBCD4Win is the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, and it's really, really real.

:whistle:

jaclaz

Yeah I have tried removing them, thing is when i then plug in my usb mouse it does the whole install thing and then works fine. However if it's my external hard drive it just crashes.

Yes I have, Daemon tools :blushing: I've since uninstalled though. Could this be causing the problem?

Ok well thanks for the thorough explanation JedMeister I'll try that in a bit and get back to you.

Yeah I have tried removing them, thing is when i then plug in my usb mouse it does the whole install thing and then works fine. However if it's my external hard drive it just crashes.

Yes I have, Daemon tools :blushing: I've since uninstalled though. Could this be causing the problem?

Ok well thanks for the thorough explanation JedMeister I'll try that in a bit and get back to you.

I would advise using UBCD4Win (Unreal Boot CD for Windows)

UNREAL :w00t:

Maybe you play too much games ;) and happen to mix their titles, UBCD4Win is the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, and it's really, really real.

:whistle:

jaclaz

Ummmm doh! :blushing: sorry about that! :whistle:

Good call jaclaz!

There have been reports of "strange" problems with USB drivers/bus (and not only) when some "upper filters" or "lower filters" are enabled (or disabled), Daemon Tools is just an example, not necessarily the "culprit", usually it is a conflict, usually "triggered" by an erroneus install or uninstall routine.

Google for:

"upper filters" BSOD

or similar keywords, and you'll get the idea.

It's one of those problems for which unfortunately there appears not to be a definite cause and a definite fix, everything you can find says in layman terms, more or less:

We don't know why, we don't know what, delete upperfilters and lowerfilters Registry keys and keep your fingers crossed

jaclaz

• 4 months later...

I know this may sound weird but i was having the same problem, my speakers and my mouse were both working fine, however my portable hard drive and other devices were making my computer just restart. So i was trying a bunch of differaant things to get it working again, i uninstalled my drivers, i updated them, everything. Then just kinda on accident i was playing with the usb connector, and it was finally working. All i did was put in the device, slowly about half way, then it made the connecting sound and it worked, it was strange. i dont know why this worked but maybe it can help you. just slowly put in the usb untill it reads, like i said about half way. hope this helps. :thumbup

Wow i didnt relize how long ago this was. lol. sorry i wasnt a little sooner. :)

Edited by Dorcheus