Can log in with Firefox - Can't log in with IE6

eddie11013

Noticed yesterday that I could only view web pages in this forum and also at two other forums, one of those being cnet, that I am registered in, using IE6, my choice browser for some time now. The display was all messed up in these msfn forums. Ran all kinds of "anti" scans, nothing found. Decided to reformat using nlite. Problem still the same. Decided to install Firefox. Using Firefox, I am able to log in and out. Pages display properly.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix IE6. And, please, don't say quite using IE6 and use Firefox. I happen to like IE6. All windows updates are current. Running Windows XP Pro SP3

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Eddie

Forgot to mention that I have been getting "IEXPLORE.EXE" 'hangs', with 100% CPU useage even after I close the browser. This was before and after the reformat. Also tried to reinstall Ie.inf. No luck.

Edited by eddie11013

I doubt this will fix your login problems, but but may fix your iexplore.exe hanging problem. I had a similar problem some time ago that was introduced by an update (strangely it only happened on some machines though, not all) and I found an MS hotfix which solved it. Sorry I haven't got it handy so you'll have to do some searching. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find it and let you know the KB number. In the meantime, happy hunting!

Issue resolved. Seems when I slipstreamed the Google Tool bar it created this problem. I reformatted, going back to Windows XP Pro, only. After the usual basic install stuff and windows updates, I began to install my various programs. Up till this time I could login to msfn.org, upon installation of Google tool bar, I lost the ability to login to msfn.org. Uninstalled Google, and everything was fine again. Don't know why Google breaks my computer but it does.

Just an FYI to anyone regarding 'tool bars'.

Eddie