GDI+ crashes under Windows Me

Th3_uN1Qu3

I dunno what might be causing this but i get random crashes having to do with GDI+. It has to do with running Opera and Yahoo Messenger together for extended periods of time (more than an hour). Sometimes only Yahoo will crash, sometimes it takes Opera with it, sometimes the error occurs in Explorer, which brings a chain of Win3.1 style error boxes and BSODs which eventually take the whole system down, requiring a hard reboot.

System info: Laptop in sig.

OS info: Windows Me with Unofficial Service Pack, latest Uberskin and KernelEx 0.3.5. I'm positive the problem has nothing to do with UberSkin, and it occured with earlier versions of KernelEx too.

Program info: Opera 9.27, Yahoo Messenger 8.1.0.421. Opera never crashes on its own and i hardly have any other troubles with the system.

Edit: No Miranda please.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

I dunno what might be causing this but i get random crashes having to do with GDI+. It has to do with running Opera and Yahoo Messenger together for extended periods of time (more than an hour). Sometimes only Yahoo will crash, sometimes it takes Opera with it, sometimes the error occurs in Explorer, which brings a chain of Win3.1 style error boxes and BSODs which eventually take the whole system down, requiring a hard reboot.

System info: Laptop in sig.

OS info: Windows Me with Unofficial Service Pack, latest Uberskin and KernelEx 0.3.5. I'm positive the problem has nothing to do with UberSkin, and it occured with earlier versions of KernelEx too.

Program info: Opera 9.27, Yahoo Messenger 8.1.0.421. Opera never crashes on its own and i hardly have any other troubles with the system.

Edit: No Miranda please.

Time to format? Try windows 98 se?

"Win3.1 style error boxes" sound like running out of GDI resources. I guess something is leaking there. Did you run the same combination of software before with no problems? If it only started recently, did you install anything new?

Here, on Win98SE, I do encounter Opera crashes at times.

BTW: Tried Opera 9.5x? (I still haven't, on 9x).

Edited by shae

togermano, please don't post if you don't have anything useful to say.

"Win3.1 style error boxes" sound like running out of GDI resources. I guess something is leaking there. Did you run the same combination of software before with no problems? If it only started recently, did you install anything new?

It always did that, it's been doing the same crap for over 5 months since i installed Me, just that i only bothered to post it now. Opera 9.5 works fine, i've tested it, however i have no reason to switch from 9.27 as the new tab bar design looks like s*** on Win9x.

I removed the ads in yah messy now, i think it's the first time i bother with them. Maybe it was the stupid flash ads causing the trouble, time will tell.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

togermano, please don't post if you don't have anything useful to say.

It always did that, it's been doing the same crap for over 5 months since i installed Me, just that i only bothered to post it now. Opera 9.5 works fine, i've tested it, however i have no reason to switch from 9.27 as the new tab bar design looks like s*** on Win9x.

I removed the ads in yah messy now, i think it's the first time i bother with them. Maybe it was the stupid flash ads causing the trouble, time will tell.

Try it on windows 98 se? Try running the system resource monitor program to see if they are really running low and what point in the program it starts to happen?

Alas, I don't think that Win98SE is automatically the answer. I have several boxes running W98SE, some are more vulnerable to this issue than others. It is a GDI+ resource issue, and the only way I have come to live with it, is to recognise the early signs and reboot before disaster strikes. By disaster, I mean a screenful of error messages that refuse to allow a proper reboot, necessitating a resort to the off button. When it is really stuck, not even three fingers works.

Could a memory management expert throw their two penn'orth into the ring, please?

There are no "early signs" on my machine, yahfoo messenger just crashes, sometimes i can just restart it, sometimes it takes Opera with it and i can just restart both, sometimes it brings the whole system down. Besides, i don't want to be able to do a regular reboot when this happens, i want to avoid the reboot altogether. I'll watch the GDI+ resource usage with KTM to see what's going on, but chances are i won't be able to see much before it crashes, when i'm not even able to bring up the Close Task menu.

However since yahfoo is 99% IE, i think i have my answer already - i need an alternative client. However none of the ones that currently exist seem to work properly. :lol:

togermano, since it seems you didn't understand what i said, 98SE has severe issues with my wired network card. When i download something everything starts stuttering, from sound to mouse cursor. WinMe has this issue too but only at high speed on torrents, where i usually leave the laptop alone anyway. I don't want to carry a wireless router with me, and using the modem is NOT an option.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

:sneaky: I've been having same crashes with *IE6sp1 and Iexplore with msn messenger and/or yahoo messenger installed on 2 totally different MoBo's ...changed to OPERA 9.27 as suggested and same results!!! :rolleyes: i Me thinks it's not in da browser ,but the websites themselves??? :wacko: Win98SE and W2K AdvSrv are systems running now on MoBo's with messenger problems......

It's not the sites, i've never had a site crash Opera yet (except Flash garbage, but the garbage flash plugin hangs not the browser itself). It definitely has something to do with the messengers since they're basically a styled window of IE.

:hello: Today all is/was okay with IE6sp1 and Opera for now :rolleyes: yet on Sunday a.m. hours traffic on net is slow anyway so it's hard to judge messengers crash times too?Will try FireFox2-version16 today later as it has not crashed yet in a month.

It was definitely not the ads as it just crashed again, this time freezing my entire system, including the mouse cursor. It even froze the error box, only its title bar popped up! However Winamp continued playing music till i hit the power button.

:blushing: This sounds like a internal driver/function error in MoBo area?If it's shakin' things up that bad?It only takes "one"bad symbol in code process and it 'causes a lotta problems-"GOOD LUCK...hope it recovers soon :sneaky: Checkout newest Topic about fixed DX3....etc,etc it's interestin' though :hello:

Well it's an ALi chipset so i'm pretty sure the mobo sucks, hell, i did some RAM benchmarks last year when i was on XP and my Pentium-MMX overclocked to 292MHz SMOKED this PIII laptop in both RAM bandwidth and latency.

However i had a board with a 750MHz CPU back then, running on FSB 100 and i upgraded it a few months ago to what you see in the second line of my sig, but i doubt it made too much of a difference to the RAM.

Perhaps crappy chipset drivers are at fault, since i monitored GDI resources and they didn't go under 70%. But i don't know jack about writing drivers, and even if i knew i suspect the hardware itself is buggy (and the sound/video/everything stutter when i do intense network activity or write to the SD card proves this, however it somehow worked in XP) so it probably isn't worth trying to fix the drivers.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

my windows 9x computer works fine with fast transfers... it might be a driver problem

YOUR computer works, MINE doesn't. As simple as that. I tried all Intel 10/100 Pro network drivers i could find, no change. And there is only one version of the chipset driver.