Transfer files Win98 to XP or Vista

technolady

I want to transfer files from my old Win98 (not SE) computer, which has no internet access, to either my new XP or my new Vista. Can I just connect them with a cable to do the transfer? Old computer has USB ports and network cable connection.

Or -- ???

If you give me a too-technical answer, I may need a tutorial to understand it. Software I know, not hardware. :P

Thanks.

the easiest thing to do would probably use a network connection. just connect the computers to a switch/hub with a network cables or 2 computers togther with a crossover cable, then you need to asign ip addresses either static or using DHCP. and the important thing is to make sure that both pcs have the same user name and password so that they can share files easily

There's no need to have the same user name and password. Accessing Win98 from XP should be no problem. The other way around may need some more settings, but isn't too complex to do if needed.

Hello,

You don't have to use cables I transfer files between my 98, Linux, or xp computers with blue tooth dangles.

It works quite well on win98SE. Blue tooth is much easier than the other protocols. whoops i just

noticed you said not 98SE, Okay use a live linux cd rom as a temporary mesure most of the new major ones

have blue tooth drivers. do the transfers boot back into windows 98.

Edited by heh heh

There's no need to have the same user name and password.

yes and no, the easiest thing to do is have the same username and password otherwise the 9x machine cant access the share on the NT machine. however the otherway round it is fine the NT machine can access the 9x machine without problem