Problem with Initial Install of XP

pressurepoint

I am baffled beyond even knowing how to search for an answer here, if there is one:

Installed xp corporate to an IDE HDD on a Dell 4400. I installed XPSP3 originally downloaded from MS but then taken from a USB onto this system. The OS failed to boot after the install. I put in the disc to reinstall but never am able to get to the second step - never get a 'press any key to boot from cd' message - the machine just keeps starting over at the first, fresh install.

In the partition section there are two disks listed, though there is only one in the case. After running Puppy Linux I was able to find that the second disk is the Memorex USB that was on the system when it crashed - though it is no longer connected. I am always installing to the installed Hard Drive, yet I can only guess that this second 'phantom' drive is keeping the system from rebooting properly to complete the install.

How do I get rid of that second 'phantom' drive? Where is that information stored?

Thanks in advance.

I am baffled beyond even knowing how to search for an answer here, if there is one:

Installed xp corporate to an IDE HDD on a Dell 4400. I installed XPSP3 originally downloaded from MS but then taken from a USB onto this system. The OS failed to boot after the install. I put in the disc to reinstall but never am able to get to the second step - never get a 'press any key to boot from cd' message - the machine just keeps starting over at the first, fresh install.

In the partition section there are two disks listed, though there is only one in the case. After running Puppy Linux I was able to find that the second disk is the Memorex USB that was on the system when it crashed - though it is no longer connected. I am always installing to the installed Hard Drive, yet I can only guess that this second 'phantom' drive is keeping the system from rebooting properly to complete the install.

How do I get rid of that second 'phantom' drive? Where is that information stored?

Thanks in advance.

Though I've never been fond of Dell, unless I could strip it and throw it out, I would go back to square one. Use a HD Manager, get rid of the partitions, re-partition and format, and do a fresh install of XP Corp. Also, make sure the BIOS knows the drive is there as well.

Make sure ALL security updates are installed for the OS...BEFORE you install SP3 (I'd give that second thoughts too) Then do a backup of the system. (Not a restore point either)

Make sure you don't install SP3 from the USB Drive, use MS Updates to do it, and don't have any USB devices installed on the initial install.

Thank you Galt!

This is what I have done so far to no avail:

Using Hiren's Boot I first did a low level format of the drive. Then using puppy linux/gparted I repartitioned it. Then when that didn't work I went back to Hiren's and attempted to wipe out the MBR and partition table. That wiped the mbr and the partition table but the initial install is still recognizing a SECOND PHANTOM disk. Specifically, when I get to the part of the install asking where I want to put XP I get:

Space on Maxtor 20gig [MBR]

unpartitioned space 19800

Space on disk [MBR]

unpartitioned space 987M

That second entry is the UNCONNECTED Memorex USB that was connected when the system went down.

So, I am guessing (a**-umeing?) that the problem lies outside of the HDD that I am trying to install on. But I am at the limit of my small amount of knowledge there.

As far using a Dell - I did build my own system (fantastic experience) and the Dell is now something to experiment with and learn from and eventually something for my 6 year old to mess with.

Galt - thanks for the advice about using windows update to install SP3, though I think I will go back to Autopatcher and regular updating if I get this figured out.

SOLVED

I'm new here and don't know if it is possible for me to change the headline to reflect the problem is solved.

Initially I took out the CMOS battery, but that did not work, so I went into the Bios and disabled the USB controllers and that kept the install from recognizing the phantom drive. Probably not a 'complete' fix but good enough for now! If anyone can tell me where that information is stored I would appreciate it, though. It's got to be somwhere in the boot sequence. Maybe if I left the battery out for longer?

My new tag line will be: If I don't break it how am I going to know how to fix it? :thumbup

SOLVED

I'm new here and don't know if it is possible for me to change the headline to reflect the problem is solved.

Initially I took out the CMOS battery, but that did not work, so I went into the Bios and disabled the USB controllers and that kept the install from recognizing the phantom drive. Probably not a 'complete' fix but good enough for now! If anyone can tell me where that information is stored I would appreciate it, though. It's got to be somwhere in the boot sequence. Maybe if I left the battery out for longer?

My new tag line will be: If I don't break it how am I going to know how to fix it? :thumbup

Looks like you got a 'work around' even if not totally solved. Since the Dell 4400 has 1.1 USB ports on-board anyway, why not get a USB 2.0 four port card and install instead, since the 1.1's are mostly worthless with todays devices.

I'd have as you mentioned, left the battery out for a longer period, and the information is not in the software boot but the hardware boot (CMOS) and what is the puzzle, is how the Memorix USB drive got written to the CMOS to begin with. Then it's a DELL.. :whistle: They are good for excersising brain cells. :wacko:

Nice work though... :thumbup