NUSB 2.4, explorer versions (language conflict)

Hi ! I have just installed the NUSB 2.4 to a fresh Windows 98 SE.

The reason I went for 2.4 rather than NUSB 3.x is that the system in question has only got USB 1.1 controllers (cf. thread <http://www.msfn.org/board/NUSB-for-USB1-too-t121104.html>)

Installation was successful as far as I know - but I have a possible problem/question :

The NUSB 2.4 I used is the English version - my OS is French Windows 98 SE. Installation asked to replace Explorer.exe, which I declined.

What was the technical reason for it wanting to update Explorer ? I will apply if necessary - but as I said it /looks like/ the NUSB works even without changing my explorer, so if it's just cosmetic I'll leave it as is...

(Edit : My untouched %Windir%\explorer.exe is the original (French language Windows 98 SE, 5/5/1999 22:22),

the one that NUSB wanted to install, and was copied to the CABS, is ENU 9/8/2000 but both have version 4.72.3110.1 !)

Regards and thanks to M.Decim and all the team !

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho

:thumbup NUSB3.3 will work better and if you add usb2.0 capabity later it will be installsd!

I will be installing NUSB v.3 to the newer computer when its turn cometh;

But this here machine will never have USB 2 capability! Does NUSB v3 install on top of NUSB v2 easily anyway ?

(There does not seem to be an uninstaller for NUSB2)

I'd still like to get the answer to : is the explorer.exe update needed for NUSB version 2 ? Is seems to work well enough without it!

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho

That's one thing (the only thing) I don't like about NUSB either. Why is it necessary to replace explorer.exe?

What I also don't understand is why the icons and the start menu bitmap were replaced by WinME/2000 icons (if it really is necessary to replace explorer.exe)

If someone wants to "soup up" his Windows appearance he can go for icon packs or sth.the like but I don't think it's necessary to make this cosmetic update part of a universal driver update

:thumbup NUSB3.3 will work better and if you add usb2.0 capabity later it will be installsd!

I will be installing NUSB v.3 to the newer computer when its turn cometh;

But this here machine will never have USB 2 capability! Does NUSB v3 install on top of NUSB v2 easily anyway ?

(There does not seem to be an uninstaller for NUSB2)

I'd still like to get the answer to : is the explorer.exe update needed for NUSB version 2 ? Is seems to work well enough without it!

--

Ninho

When you update to nusb ver. 3, I suggest you download the French translation :) :

www.technical-assistance.co.uk%2Fkb%2Fusbmsd98.php

At least you will get a french explorer and user.exe. But you can also restore you old explorer if you prefer. I installed english nusb on a dutch windows and put back a dutch explorer.exe and user.exe because the owner didn't like the english. It works ok.

When you update to nusb ver. 3, I suggest you download the French translation :) :

Yep, I had grasped that one already but as I said earlier, it's for the other system. If I were to "update" this one from NUSB v2 to v3, may I do so without rolling out the NUSB v2 entirely anyway ?

At least you will get a french explorer and user.exe. But you can also restore you old explorer if you prefer. I installed english nusb on a dutch windows and put back a dutch explorer.exe and user.exe because the owner didn't like the english. It works ok.

Then why would M.Decim distribute patched versions of these files along with NUSB if they are not necessary ? Makes no sense at all, I hope M. Decim himself or MDGX could step in and clarify the mud a little...

I just uploaded the updated French Nusb 2.4 on win9x4ever. I removed explorer.exe. Especially since it was outdated in this version. Didn't have time to test it but it should work without problem. :)

Thank you, GlocK !

If you know, pray tell how one can unpack those NUSB installers and examine the files inside ?

[Edited] Disregard question : running > file_name /? yielded the solution. Doh!

Edited by Ninho