Tracking down WMDRMSDK.DLL AND KILLING IT!

TranceEnergy

Hello.

In an effort to make xp x64 iso bloat free for wmp components, i've gone through some heavy duty search & destroy for anything like portable, drm, user mode driver framework etc.

I have actually managed to get rid of those services listed up in xp so thats good.

However i get 2 errors, 1 during install, and 1 after login. Requesting this wmdrmsdk.dll.

Upon login i see that it is UnregMP2.exe trying to access it, but alas can not find it.

Well i have searched with both windows explorer and total commander (can search for text inside .cab files, neat) but i find no more references to this wmdrmsdk.dll.

So i am thinking it is being called upon by a hex name, or a number identifier, if you understand what i mean, if you're newb u wont so forget it.

This is driving me more crazy then i'd like to become.

I posted about it on booogy's forum but they dont seem to be present or what not.

I'm going to try to find it still, but i am running out of ideas soon on what to search for.

like i posted in my forum what u do is interesting but thinking that most of wmp files are interconected....so if u delete one u will get errors.

if u want a bloat free player...dont think about wmp 11 and especially wmp11 x64........

wmp11 is frm m$, it should have bloat, wat else can m$ help MPAA with ? :crazy:

for simplicty use foobar2000 (thouth it is not simple to understand) and it just works :thumbup (plays almost anything :angel )

Note: am not discouraging u r idea of bloat-free wmp11, if possible plz share u r xperince and how to make it :rolleyes:

Well i removed one to many files from user mode framework. HOWEVER, it seems to be completely, since i did it, possible to have those services at least disabled/inactive, but that you need to have the files on the system.

So basically, you will need some of the files from wmp's services, but you can have the services disabled, but you still stuck with some files.

(This is how nuhi makes nliting xp work, you can remove wireless services and windows update f.ex, but the files are still there, you need to know what can be deleted and what can not)

But this is where the integration comes in, one could root out what files needed to be copied over and registered, then after integration, some script or what not, could be run at pre login stage, to kill off the rest of the bloat.

Just an idea, im no genius at that apartment, im sure there are more efficient ways.

It is very easy to install wmp11, and then just delete the services for it. WMP will still work just fine. F.ex just take permissions control in Regedit, and you can delete almost everything.

Which proves it should be doable yes.?

I have heard good things of foobar2k, maybe i will give it another go. Reason why i like wmp11 integration, is because it is updating software already on xp cd, and needed for various crap, such as games and thumbnailing etc.

Crap yes. So lets hope wmp12 will be better...

update: okay now on fresh reinstall without wmp. Turns out i got wmp streaming working with just the wmp plugin, so i dont need wmp at all now, nor IE.

Totally PERFECT.

Edited by TranceEnergy