Network Help Needed !

im supposed to go and check out a network in an internet cafe tomorrow, but my networking skills is very limited. I NEED HELP

apparantly only 2 of the pc out of 8 is having access to the net. it was working b4 also. i think they run cafe client pro software also from their main machine and the internet is wireless .

what exactly should i be looking here

Edited by geek
11. Please refrain from using CAPITALIZATIONS in the topic title or when participating in threads because they will not attract attention - instead it will annoy many of MSFN's members.

start off by noting their configuration...

- how many clients are wireless, how many are wired.

- the 2pc's that work, are they wired or wireless. how does their setup differ from the pc's that can't connect.

- is there a firewall. does it have any kind of security that would cause it to block all pc's except the 2 that work, or did the other machines somehow lose their connection to the wireless access point, or have their password deleted

- is their antivirus on these machines, and is it up-to-date

-

start there. if you can narrow the situation down to hardware vs software causing the issue, then that will make your life easier

In my experience i would say that 65% of my "internet doesnt work" problems are DNS related. Make sure you have with you an IP you can ping on the internet and also a domain (google will do) and see if you get responses on both. If you dont you can look at the other pcs that work and get a DNS server from them that the others can use.

Are you comfortable with the ipconfig /command? as Rendrag suggested noting down the configs and most of all any differences is definately the best way to sort this

Good luck :)

ok, so i went an cheked out the operation , apparantly, its their software Cyber cafe client pro thats isnt connecting the the client pc's . so now the clients are locked with the software boot sceeen an d main one has lost connection with them ,