FIREFOX 3

D_block

supprising to me, since ive never really seen much of a difference between the previous versions and IE , in terms of performance. FireFOx 3 is actually really good!! loading time, etc . i know its way lighter cause my hdd does cry out when i launch

Have you guys tried it ?

:thumbup for the first time " I " will give this a thumbs up, for noticable difference ... it is really good

Have you guys tried it ?

lol.. your a bit too late on that, as firefox is the most widely used browser, and its the best. Am pretty sure vast majority of people in this forum use firefox 3

I have been using firefox since version 2 came out.

Not surprised that you feel the difference in terms of speed and reliability compare to ie7.

Edited by shahed26

i used firefox 2. ? before on several occasions and it worked like a linux OS ( talk about pressure and headache) now most ppl rate software but when it comes to visible performance you cant see ... on first use i can see it and i like it !!

BEST of all there GUI is simple and not chunky as the older versions at default ( i like simple) reminds me of IE7 .. lol

Edited by D_block

i wonder if i can add firefox3 in an unattended version of xp an remove IE7 hmm... or maybe Ie may come in handy knowing M$ , i really dont like haveing 2 browsers on my pc

i wonder if i can add firefox3 in an unattended version of xp an remove IE7 hmm... or maybe Ie may come in handy knowing M$ , i really dont like haveing 2 browsers on my pc

You can add firefox to your unattended xp. Silent switch to create addon (eg Firefox3.exe -ms) or you can download it from this forum. Don,t know for sure whether you going to need ie7 for any MS purpose. But when i was on xp, i always removed it, and used firefox and i had no problems. (maybe ie needed for windows updates, can't remember)

Edited by shahed26

It's an improvement but Opera still feels better. Firefox still has caching issues.

It comes down to preferences in the end. Opera is definitely more secure and less resource hungry then IE, but then again, every browser beats IE on those 2 things, so it's not exactly a big achievement. It also has a couple cool things, like XHTML+Voice (although it's ultimately useless as no other browser supports it, hence no one uses it). But as for its user interface, I'd personally rank Opera dead last (and by that I don't mean behind just Firefox and IE...) Again, that's my own opinion, someone else just might prefer it precisely for it's UI, and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that either.

I've been hooked on Firefox since v0.8 (circa 2004), and until anything else comes with extensions that rival Firefox's I have no plans to switch. I'd buy 2GB of RAM extra for it if I had to in order to use it. The features are totally worth it. Hell, I'd even pay for Firefox if it went commercial. It makes using the web and developing/debugging web apps not suck -- finally. It's an absolutely fantastic tool, especially when combined with some extremely useful extensions (e.g. Web Developer toolbar, Firebug, DOM Inspector, FoxyProxy, Tamper Data, Live HTTP Headers, HttpFox, DownThemAll, etc)

Besides, it doesn't really have "caching issues". If you don't like the default value, just change it (or disable it altogether). Lower values will make it use less memory if that's your concern, but it'll make it somewhat slower. 2GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM being ~$30 these days I ain't too worried about it using 200MB (I also currently have VMware, Photoshop, Visual Studio and VirtualDubMod open right now, each of which uses up as much, if not more RAM than Firefox)

Edit: also, Adblock Plus is very nice for blocking "ads" for religion-oriented sites in ppl's signatures...

Edited by crahak

It's an improvement but Opera still feels better. Firefox still has caching issues.

It comes down to preferences in the end. Opera is definitely more secure and less resource hungry then IE, but then again, every browser beats IE on those 2 things, so it's not exactly a big achievement. It also has a couple cool things, like XHTML+Voice (although it's ultimately useless as no other browser supports it, hence no one uses it). But as for its user interface, I'd personally rank Opera dead last (and by that I don't mean behind just Firefox and IE...) Again, that's my own opinion, someone else just might prefer it precisely for it's UI, and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that either.

I've been hooked on Firefox since v0.8 (circa 2004), and until anything else comes with extensions that rival Firefox's I have no plans to switch. I'd buy 2GB of RAM extra for it if I had to in order to use it. The features are totally worth it. Hell, I'd even pay for Firefox if it went commercial. It makes using the web and developing/debugging web apps not suck -- finally. It's an absolutely fantastic tool, especially when combined with some extremely useful extensions (e.g. Web Developer toolbar, Firebug, DOM Inspector, FoxyProxy, Tamper Data, Live HTTP Headers, HttpFox, DownThemAll, etc)

Besides, it doesn't really have "caching issues". If you don't like the default value, just change it (or disable it altogether). Lower values will make it use less memory if that's your concern, but it'll make it somewhat slower. 2GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM being ~$30 these days I ain't too worried about it using 200MB (I also currently have VMware, Photoshop, Visual Studio and VirtualDubMod open right now, each of which uses up as much, if not more RAM than Firefox)

Edit: also, Adblock Plus is very nice for blocking "ads" for religion-oriented sites in ppl's signatures...

Agree everything you say.

Extensions I use : Adblcok Plus, Compact Menu, File Title, Flashblock, Greasemonkey, ImgLikeOpera, IETab.