problem installing winxp 64 on dell server

reachvijeesh

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Dell power edge 1950 server with LSI SAS1068E SAS controller; I needed to load winxp 64 bit, we are using the machine for 3dmax rendering purpose;

i used nlite to create a cd and got the sa driver from LSI website;

i created 3 CDs but still its not taking the SAS drivers and stop with an error message states that symmpi.sys file error

pls can anyone help me on this issue

regards

vijeesh

i created 3 CDs but still its not taking the SAS drivers and stop with an error message states that symmpi.sys file error
Which error message did you get?

If you got the message, the the SYS file is "corrupt", you probably tried to install a 32bit driver onto a 64bit OS, which doesn't work at all.

If you got the message, the the SYS file is "corrupt", you probably tried to install a 32bit driver onto a 64bit OS, which doesn't work at all.

Hi fernando,

I used the driver which named the folder like; Xp_64, XP_IA64. and downloaded from the website lsi.com

here the link http://www.lsi.com/support/storage/downloads/index.html - SAS1068e driver

can u have a look into this link and tell me the solution

and one more doubt, if we attach both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers together does it take only 64 bit driver while loading 64 bit xp?

regards

vijeesh

Edited by reachvijeesh

Hi fernando,

I used the driver which named the folder like; Xp_64, XP_IA64. and downloaded from the website lsi.com

here the link http://www.lsi.com/support/storage/downloads/index.html - SAS1068e driver

can u have a look into this link and tell me the solution

and one more doubt, if we attach both 32 bit and 64 bit drivers together does it take only 64 bit driver while loading 64 bit xp?

regards

vijeesh

hi fernando,

My intention is to load win xp 64 bit OS in Dell PowerEdge Server; that doesn't support - boot from USB,

i had contacted dell technical service team, those people are helpless for loading winxp in server and they are saying they wont give any support to load winxp in the server ;

and i must load winxp 64 bit only on this server , because this server will be using for 3D Max rendering porpose , that software will not support any server OS

so i was searching for some tool, and i came to know about Nlite,

Can you help me out of this issue

regards

vijeesh

I'm getting a server crash at that site at the moment.
The same happened here.
XP_IA64 is for Intel's Itanium architecture, you've looking for XP_AMD64 or XP_x64.
Since the related Dell Server has 64-bit Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® processors, he probably will need to take the XP_IA64 drivers.

XP_IA64 is for Intel's Itanium architecture, you've looking for XP_AMD64 or XP_x64.
Since the related Dell Server has 64-bit Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® processors, he probably will need to take the XP_IA64 drivers.

I am missing something. Just because a chip is dual core, quad core, octal core, <insert n core here>, etc - the architecture is still x86_64, not Itanium. If he's using a Xeon, it's _not_ an itanium and he'll need x86_64 drivers (x64). Did I miss something here?

Did you try the driver from support.dell.com?

It is listed for Windows 2003 x64 but I would be surprised if it is any different than for what is needed for WinXP x64.

The dell driver is older than the LSI driver but has SUBSYS identifiers so there might be a special DELL implementation of the hardware.

Hi All,

Thanks for your support; and thanks for Nlite its really superb....

I resolved that issue using the X64 Driver for winxp 64 bit from lsl.com

and one more thing i learned that , while we are using Nlite once we copy our XP cd to local HDD, if we selected wrong driver to make our new XP Cd,

next time we cant use the same xp (which we had in local HDD) means we have to copy again from our original XP CD to local HDD befor proceding with the correct driver; otherwise previously copied xp will contain wrong drive information, i have experienced this.

any how thanks for u all

now i am going to do more R&D with Nlite

cheers

vijeesh